PDA

View Full Version : Swing arm removal 2004 R6

R6_Don
12-12-11, 09:33 PM
Im after a little bit of advice if any one can help then it would be much appreciated. I have decided to take my track bike apart over the winter and give it a tidy up. Mainly so i can learn a little bit more about how the bike goes together and what parts need to be maintained. I have decided to take the rear swing arm off and have found that there is a strange shape bolt/insert inside the rear swing arm it looks like i need a special tool to remove it. Has anyone come across it before and do they have the tool to remove it. Any other advice any one can offer would be welcomed. I also need to get the chain off but dont want to fork out for a new one as this one seems ok. Is there a way to remove it without having to replace it?

njl
12-12-11, 10:41 PM
Something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-R6-SWINGARM-TOOL-SOCKET-CASTLE-NUT-SWINGING-ARM-SUSPENSION-R-1-ya-/260896687242?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3cbea 7848a

I have aprilia sized one have no idea if it'll fit

Chain wise I think you'd be looking at grinding off the rivet heads for the exisiting rivet link and replacing with a new one to suit the chain on refitting, unless you get away with leaving the chain through the swinger while it's off

Scotty
12-12-11, 11:42 PM
Don mate, read your manual! Oh yeah, it's still at mine - did you forget to give me a call on your way home then? It will list all the special tools that are required ::)
A chain rivetting tool will separate the chain easily enough, and will be required to rejoin it with a fresh soft link afterwards. If you look carefully at the side plates on the chain you will see the actual model of the chain stamped on them, and an internet search will find a vendor of replacement soft links for the right chain 8-)

Alternatively, like Nick suggests, if you don't need to split the chain you could leave it in situ...

The tool in the link looks decent value and much cheaper than a genuine Yamaha one too :)

Squashed_Fly
13-12-11, 07:03 AM
If yours is anything like mine, I could take the swingarm off without touching the chain. It goes around the arm, not through it on mine...

R6_Don
13-12-11, 08:09 AM
I had a closer look and it look similar to that tool but only has two keyways in it, I found a tool on eBay that maches it but might try and make something to do the job.

njl
13-12-11, 08:46 AM
If you build one, a suitable sized socket with the careful application of a grinder can work.

NiteW4tcher
16-12-11, 08:16 PM
i bought a removal tool for my gsxr today from ebay £12 shall see what it is like