PDA

View Full Version : Help! Might need a bike trailer....

Loops
09-12-11, 08:41 AM
Having been/ left out overnight the CBR is now sulking and won't start ::)

Going to try leaving it today and see if it'll start this afternoon, but if not does anyone have a bike trailer I could borrow tonight or over the weekend to get it home?

Damn wintery weather ;D

Scotty
09-12-11, 09:20 AM
Dirty stop-out! ::) ::) ::) ;)

Jon_W
09-12-11, 09:30 AM
Naughty, naughty CBR.....

... give it a bit and it'll probably fire up. My old honda never liked the cold and damp....

Splash
09-12-11, 12:23 PM
Bump / start it! My ol' CBR6F 98 hated the cold but I always got it it going with a bump! ::)

Nikki
09-12-11, 02:04 PM
Having been/ left out overnight the CBR is now sulking and won't start ::)

Going to try leaving it today and see if it'll start this afternoon, but if not does anyone have a bike trailer I could borrow tonight or over the weekend to get it home?

Damn wintery weather ;D

If you dont get any luck with someone here offering a trailer Hire Standards in Westbury hire a trailer. I've hired it several times now -

http://www.hire-standards.co.uk/trailers.htm

whizz
09-12-11, 06:41 PM
If you get stuck give me a call ive got trailer ! :)

Loops
09-12-11, 06:42 PM
Success - application of choke and throttle has brought him round and he's now back in my garage.

Splash, I could only bump start my CG downhill, I wouldn't know how to start with the CBR!

Scotty
09-12-11, 07:06 PM
As it was a bit cold last night and it didn't want to start, but did later after it had warmed up, it could be the first signs that your battery is starting to get past its best - I had the same problem with a car years ago, refused to start at 05.40 before early shift on a frosty morning, made me late for work >:( when I went to it in the afternoon sun it fired up immediately. Following that I parked on a hill so bump-starting was an option if it played up again (which it did) ::) A new battery sorted it completely...

Loops
09-12-11, 10:42 PM
Would it be the battery? It was turning over fine, it just wouldn't quite fire up (except for a few seconds once before it gave up again...)

njl
09-12-11, 11:14 PM
Would it be the battery? It was turning over fine, it just wouldn't quite fire up (except for a few seconds once before it gave up again...)

It's possible, if the starter is taking the voltage down low enough for the ignition to struggle to put up a decent spark.

For the peace of mind a new battery would add at this time of year it would be 40 quid well spent in my books. However try to avoid letting it get low on charge at this time of year as it can be the end of a otherwise good battery.

Splash
09-12-11, 11:51 PM
Splash, I could only bump start my CG downhill, I wouldn't know how to start with the CBR!

All you need is a bit of speed and weight to pump the bike down - But that doesn't matter - you've got it going, nice work! 8-)

Jon_W
10-12-11, 03:04 PM
As it was a bit cold last night and it didn't want to start, but did later after it had warmed up, it could be the first signs that your battery is starting to get past its best - I had the same problem with a car years ago, refused to start at 05.40 before early shift on a frosty morning, made me late for work >:( when I went to it in the afternoon sun it fired up immediately. Following that I parked on a hill so bump-starting was an option if it played up again (which it did) ::) A new battery sorted it completely...

Agreed. I've had this with the GS. I'd also check the air filter. I found cleaning it made a big difference to the cold start.

Cemorah
12-12-11, 08:58 PM
Almost sure to be the battery. Alarms, short journeys, cold weather constantly running with lights all take their toll on a battery at this time of year. Before consigning it to the bin put it on a smart charger for 24hrs. Test the voltage at the battery no load should be 12.6V if fully charged. Much less than this then change the battery and keep it topped up weekly

Loops
13-12-11, 08:20 PM
I think I'll have to get a new battery, he sulked again after work today. I've noticed if I don't catch him and get the revs up on the first go he then won't start unless you give him 5 minutes - a bit like me in the morning hitting the snooze button ;D

Is it worth fitting new spark plugs too? He's restricted if it makes any difference....

Nooj
14-12-11, 12:07 AM
When were the plugs last changed? It may well be worth getting a slightly more powerful battery if you're changing anyway. Aprilia owners are recommended to fit 14Ah instead of a 12Ah, not sure what Honda fitted as stock though.

Let me know the year of the bike and I'll do a quote for plugs and a battery if you like. Will be stocking CTEK battery tenders in the new year as well if you're in the market for one.

Toph
14-12-11, 12:40 AM
Check the fuel filter Nic, Sounds like exactly the same symptoms as I had recently on my CBR, Colin (greenman) found the fuel filter was blocked, starving the engine of fuel. :o
My bike now starts and runs beautifully! :)

Green Man
15-12-11, 11:06 PM
Just give me a shout if your still getting problems :) :)

Loops
16-12-11, 06:01 PM
He's running beautifully as long as he's not too cold, and i give him a bit of throttle as he fires up - no issues once he's going which makes me think the fuel filter can't be at fault.

Will change the plugs and look at a new battery - will plug him into my charger for a bit first. He's not going out at the moment as I've got a nasty cold so am using the car instead.

taliesin
07-01-12, 08:47 PM
try a can of easy start(i dont mean the whole can,but just a spray)on the air filters

Jon_W
11-01-12, 08:00 AM
More likely air filter than fuel filter. Either that or you just have to find the throttle / choke combi that works at lower temperatures. It's restricted, this will alter the carburation.