PDA

View Full Version : SV650 Project need help with welding/fabrication

jonneyflame
24-01-12, 05:06 PM
Hi all, I'm looking for some help/advice/assistance
I'm looking to replace a Gen 1 SV650s engine to an injected Gen 2/gladius one. this poses a number of issues but towards the top of my list is making the fuel tank fit (i want to put a gladius one on, also its needed for the fuel pump). I think i can make it fit but need some assistance in a. making fit and b. making it look good. this means fabricating metal and welding which i have no idea on and was hoping that someone on the forum may be able to assist?
Thanks in advance

Jacde
24-01-12, 05:37 PM
Toph is a welder

jonneyflame
24-01-12, 06:21 PM
all sorted, a guy from work is giving me a hand, cheers everyone

squirrel_hunter
24-01-12, 07:49 PM
So if I have understood correctly, you are retro fitting FI onto a 1st gen SV650? Why?

Oh and you do realize that 1st and 2nd gen SV650 engines are basically identical?

There are minor differences with cam profile, twin spark heads, gear selector cam, and the alternator.

The alternator difference is required for the FI and the twin sparks (later models, you could call them 3rd gen engines if you want) were for emissions. The gear selector cam has a slightly different profile for a more positive gear shift. The cam differences can be leveled out by swapping the cams between models for example on the 1st gen, you move the intake to the exhaust, and use the 2nd gen intake.

And I almost forgot the oil cooler. You will need different exhaust pipework to clear it, if you stick a 2nd gen engine in a 1st gen frame that is.

Jon_W
24-01-12, 08:23 PM
They did alter the lug positions slightly between Curvy and Pointy. As with Squirrell, I'd stick with the earlier engine which has carbs, so no need for a fuel pump and put the cams from the later engine in. This is quite a common SV mod to increase power and torque.

I'm not sure why the oil cooler was added. There, as far as I am aware, was never an issue with oil temperature on the older Sv engines even at decent levels of tune.

Have a look on Sv650.org as well. There is a wealth of info on the Sv there.

jonneyflame
24-01-12, 08:25 PM
wow sounds like you know your v-twins, im doing it just because i've got the engine and the old one is drinking oil like you wouldnt believe, the oil cooler is integrated on the gladius (not a separate radiator) but i also have the exhaust system so may try to fit that also. im hoping that i dont have to change anything on the engine just drop it it and shoe horn the gladius wiring in around it

Jon_W
24-01-12, 08:34 PM
This is going to be a interesting project to see. Are you changing all the electrics including the clocks and the handlebar controls??? These changed with the injection.

jonneyflame
24-01-12, 08:50 PM
This is going to be a interesting project to see. Are you changing all the electrics including the clocks and the handlebar controls??? These changed with the injection.

Yep got all the bits (i hope)
I'm doing if for my GF Maca (also on the site) her sv is getting a little tired (60,000 miles now) and she'd be gutted if she had to get rid of it, this would be a good compromise, im also going to get the frame powder coated. so should be an almost new bike when im finished. fingers crossed

squirrel_hunter
24-01-12, 09:01 PM
They did alter the lug positions slightly between Curvy and Pointy.

Off the top of my head I can't think what lugs they are, but I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem sticking a Pointy in a Curvy.

I'm not sure why the oil cooler was added. There, as far as I am aware, was never an issue with oil temperature on the older Sv engines even at decent levels of tune.

There has been anecdotal reports of Curvys using more oil than would be expected. Though nothing conclusive.

wow sounds like you know your v-twins, im doing it just because i've got the engine and the old one is drinking oil like you wouldnt believe, the oil cooler is integrated on the gladius (not a separate radiator) but i also have the exhaust system so may try to fit that also. im hoping that i dont have to change anything on the engine just drop it it and shoe horn the gladius wiring in around it

I just know a little about SV's. Just looked at some pics of the Gladius and seen the difference in the oil coolier (this interests me), I would guess this wouldn't provide the exhaust any problems but haven't seen anyone do this swap before so there is only one way to find out...

As for it drinking oil I would investigate that before swapping engines. I wasn't to bothered with mine doing it, providing you keep on top of it.

Personally if I were to swap the engines I wouldn't bother with conversion to FI sounds far to much work without any gain. I'd swap the alternators and then heads to get rid of the twin spark. But again this is adding complication. The more I think about it, I'd just get another 1st gen and stick that in it.

But as I haven't personally put a gen 3 into a gen 1 as Jon said, ask over at the SV650.org.

squirrel_hunter
24-01-12, 09:05 PM
Are you changing all the electrics including the clocks and the handlebar controls??? These changed with the injection.

Forgot about that, this is starting to sound more like a reframe than a engine swap. Some parts might be interchangeable, others won't be, a lot I think will depend on the connectors. For example the reg / rec from the 2nd gen is has different connectors to the 1st gen and I think there are even different 2nd gen reg/ recs.

jonneyflame
24-01-12, 09:16 PM
ive got a loom, clocks, reg/rec (they are different) and twin coil packs, its pretty much the whole bike in bits (the gladius frame was a right off) got it all as a job lot from a guy that was going to make a trike but had a heart attack and decided to sell the lot. so im seeing what i can use, and ill sell on what i cant.

jonneyflame
24-01-12, 09:24 PM
oh and i have posted/searched the sv site, it has been done but not with an engine as new as the gladius, think it was a k4/5 looked good too, but did need extensive modification to the tank

squirrel_hunter
24-01-12, 09:34 PM
If you've bought the bits like that then I understand your logic, but I'd bet a spare 1st gen engine is still a lot easier (and cheaper) to do. Not seen your post over there, but that is the best place to ask the real technical questions.