PDA

View Full Version : Advice re My Triumph Daytona

DaytonaDog
09-01-12, 10:59 PM
Today I took my bike for its MOT. No major issues although had to have a couple of new wheel bearings. However on the advisory note it said that the steering was 'notchy'? What do they mean by this, what could be the cause and is it relative easy to fix?

When I went to collect the bike there wasn't enough charge to start the bike and needed a boost to get started. The bike started fine this morning and I recently put the optimate on the battery about 10 days ago, although I do switch the alarm off to save charge. The alarm would have been on whilst at the garage and no doubt this is what caused the flat battery? Surely a few hours with the alarm on wouldn't drain the battery or should I be using the optimate more frequently? I'm not in a position to have the optimate on permanently. I stalled on the way home and the bike started first time straight away so it appears that the battery is taking a charge. The battery going flat has had a knock on effect in that the EML has illuminated. I've read this is not unusual and will reset after three runs. Is this true?

Lastly when I got the bike home and it was ticking over I noticed what appeared to be a tapping sound coming from the engine area. Does this indicate any issues with the engine or I am hearing this?

Any advice/ideas gratefully received.

njl
09-01-12, 11:40 PM
Hi DD

the advisory note it said that the steering was 'notchy'?

Can't think of anything but the headstock bearings for this, more likely need replacing than adjusting. Unfortunately if the grease in there starts to go the races can start to corrode or wear goes through the outer plating. Hard wheelie landings can also work these rather hard

and is it relative easy to fix?

Depends on tools to hand, I have to change a set and will take the triple T to a shop to have the lower race pressed off and on by them. I'd hope a workshop would do the full job it in 1 - 2 hours perhaps.

When I went to collect the bike there wasn't enough charge to start the bike and needed a boost to get started.

I guess during MOT they may have had lights and stuff on while the engine wasn't running, poss starting it up a few times with the engine only running briefly each time

The alarm would have been on whilst at the garage and no doubt this is what caused the flat battery?

Unless they couldn't figure it out and it was going off all the time, shouldn't really hurt it, perhaps 3 or 4 weeks without charging or using the bike the alarm might take it's toll.

Surely a few hours with the alarm on wouldn't drain the battery or should I be using the optimate more frequently?

Quite, perhaps it's just how they did things on MOT, but I would be prepared to consider a new battery if it gives you trouble again. If you only run 10 or 15 min at a time on a short journey the battery might not recover the loss it's given to start it up. Not the best weather to take the very long route home in my book.

I'm not in a position to have the optimate on permanently. I stalled on the way home and the bike started first time straight away so it appears that the battery is taking a charge.

If you don't mind me asking are you using the bike regularly? If not I'd consider taking the battery off and indoors until you are, and having the optimate on it to keep it charged.

The battery going flat has had a knock on effect in that the EML has illuminated. I've read this is not unusual and will reset after three runs. Is this true?

Can't help u there, I know not triumph. Mikke might be able to advise or check, he has some great resources close by.

Lastly when I got the bike home and it was ticking over I noticed what appeared to be a tapping sound coming from the engine area. Does this indicate any issues with the engine or I am hearing this?

Again don't know the engine either, tappets perhaps, are they hydraulic?

Jon_W
10-01-12, 07:52 AM
Notchy steering is usually headstock. I may just need adjusting or a re-grease.

Your battery sounds like either the battery has become memorised (replace battery), or you have a bad connection on the battery, starter solenoid, starter motor. I had the latter on the GS and it caused similar symptoms.

As to the rattling. If it's not loud, its probably valve gear. All enginge rattle a little. Your just worried beacure of the other issues.

Si
10-01-12, 12:05 PM
Headstock bearings Chris as already mentioned above. If its been sat for a while they could just need greasing or maybe replacing.

The EML on Trumpets will come on if the battery is at a low charge state or there is a bad connection/corrosion on the terminals. Remove the battery and give it a proper charge on the Optimate. I have the newer Oximiser and if the battery is in a bad way it will perform a series of recovery steps before charging it (could take a while) Im not sure if the Optimate does this. Whilst its off give the terminals on the leads a good seeing to aswell as the ones on the battery. From experience they like a really good solid connection!

My Triple (same engine as yours) used to rattle a bit after being stood for a while. Im thinking you need to go out and spend a day with Davina and give her a good long run!! ;)

Mark_Able
10-01-12, 08:22 PM
We've had notchy headstock bearings on bikes in the past, and they just needed adjusting. They are taper bearings, so with a bit of luck... ;)

The alarm used to run the battery flat on my old R1. It would normally take about two weeks to run flat from full charge, so I'd say if it's going flat quicker, it may be due a new battery... :(

Paul_H
24-01-12, 11:13 AM
Today I took my bike for its MOT. No major issues although had to have a couple of new wheel bearings. However on the advisory note it said that the steering was 'notchy'? What do they mean by this, what could be the cause and is it relative easy to fix?

When I went to collect the bike there wasn't enough charge to start the bike and needed a boost to get started. The bike started fine this morning and I recently put the optimate on the battery about 10 days ago, although I do switch the alarm off to save charge. The alarm would have been on whilst at the garage and no doubt this is what caused the flat battery? Surely a few hours with the alarm on wouldn't drain the battery or should I be using the optimate more frequently? I'm not in a position to have the optimate on permanently. I stalled on the way home and the bike started first time straight away so it appears that the battery is taking a charge. The battery going flat has had a knock on effect in that the EML has illuminated. I've read this is not unusual and will reset after three runs. Is this true?

Any advice/ideas gratefully received.

Notchy steering, probably just an adjustment needed. Triumph are not known for spending too much money on grease come assembly time so more often than not a strip, grease and re-assembly is all that's needed unless you like to wheelie in which case the head race bearing take a right pounding

You don't say how old your battery is? A good regular charge on an Optimate wouldn't go amiss if you can't ride your bike more often. I hate alarms!

The EML will go out after 3 engine cycles of cold to hot then back to cold again. So 3 runs over 3 days will put the light out

All 3 cylinder Triumphs rattle. You should hear my MK1 Speed Triple from cold :o

Just make sure it's got plenty of good quality oil in the motor and don't miss the 12k valve clearances

Jon_W
24-01-12, 11:29 AM
You think the modern triumps are bad, you should try the old meridan ones.... you worry when the rattling stops!!! ;D

Paul_H
24-01-12, 11:37 AM
Or similarly as my old Dad once said to me "you should start worrying when it stops leaking oil" ;D

Mikkie1986
24-01-12, 12:27 PM
If needed i could get our Triumph workshop to do a safety inspection FOC for you? That would give you some answers. Mike :)

DaytonaDog
25-01-12, 08:05 PM
If needed i could get our Triumph workshop to do a safety inspection FOC for you? That would give you some answers. Mike :)

Mikkie, That would be awesome. I was going to PM you anyway in due course to see if the winter service discount offer was still applicable as I want to get the bike serviced before the riding season starts up again. Although I live in Salisbury I would be more than happy to travel as its a good blat up through Marlborough etc etc. I'll PM you.

Mikkie1986
26-01-12, 09:00 AM
No worries DD.. All sounds fine. :)