PDA

View Full Version : header - rounded bolts-

NiteW4tcher
21-12-11, 04:01 PM
was going to get on with more stripping today.

the 6mm allan bolts that hold the headers in.....i got 4 off but the other 4 are rusted to booogery and rounded off then i tried to remove them.

whats my next option? can i drop engine with headers ona nd deal wtih the bolts once engine is out? am i looking at drilling them out?

cheers

Dan

oh btw gsxr k6

silly_simon
21-12-11, 05:42 PM
you could try a removing tool like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5PC-SCREW-BOLT-STUD-EXTRACTOR-REMOVER-EASY-OUT-OUTS-L70-/390309151352?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item5 ae03d0278

NiteW4tcher
21-12-11, 06:07 PM
yeah i thought as much......worried about being to harsh and cracking the block

over worrying? :-?

ro
22-12-11, 09:41 AM
Having just had a run-in with some reluctant bolts myself, I can pass on the tip which solved my problem: get a blowtorch on the case surrounding the bolt for a couple of seconds and they loosen up remarkably well.

NiteW4tcher
22-12-11, 12:35 PM
yeah the other 4 moved easily.....i dont think they will give up a hughe fight...........its just getting a grip on them somehow

Cemorah
09-01-12, 08:39 PM
Beware of those eezi outs hardened steel is brittle break em and nothing drills em.

Read somewhere about welding nuts onto end of exhaust studs - heat and extra grip will do the trick.

Mitch9128
09-01-12, 10:34 PM
Loads of plus gas on the remaining bolts, use a syringe to squirt it in/on, at least over a day or two, hot engine and smack a torx in there and try that.

Jon_W
10-01-12, 07:54 AM
Impact wrench, loctite freeze-out and heat. Failing that drill and thread insert.

Wes
29-01-12, 07:44 PM
Just had the same issues with caliper bolts, i went to screwfix and bought a set of stud extractors for £3.50 and they worked a treat, just start off with very small drill bits and work your way up gradually using cutting fluid gets the best results.

Dex
29-01-12, 08:27 PM
have you got a pic of the seized in bolts to show what the access to them is like please?

NiteW4tcher
29-01-12, 09:00 PM
i will get one.......access is BAD lol

Toph
29-01-12, 09:08 PM
When I do them at work, I weld a nut on the top of the thread with a tig welder, gently warm the area close to the stud with a oxy- acetylene torch, and the stud will wind out. clean the thread with a tap.
If the stud is broken off "flush" with the head I carefully build up the stud with a tig welder, increasing it's length until a nut can be welded on, being careful not to upset the tread in the ali head, then as above, heat and remove.
it gets a bit difficult when the stud breaks off inside the ali head, if this happens, drill and stud extractor, but do not break off a drill bit or stud extractor. then you are truly knackered!!

NiteW4tcher
29-01-12, 09:10 PM
i cant weld ;D may leave it to my mate who is going to do valve clearances he can weld a nut on and un do them