PDA

View Full Version : Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it?

JayP
02-10-11, 05:10 PM
Honda have quoted me £350 plus parts to do the 8000 mile service on my 2008 Transalp. The service includes a check on valve clearances. I would like to have the Honda stamp in the book but it seems a bit early for a valve check to me, and the price seems a lot for a sub 4k bike. I could just do a regular service and forget about the stamp in the book. Or would I regret it? What do others think?

470four
02-10-11, 05:24 PM
Valve clearances will not only increase (noisy tappet clatter), they can also silently decrease - meaning the valve will stay open & burn out. :o

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=burnt+out+valve&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&rlz=1C1CH IA_en-GBGB393GB393&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbnid=7opAd rMXfKBgSM:&imgrefurl=http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/535717-burned-exhaust-valve-again.html&docid=J3Qp-u1LoQpDzM&w=1024&h=768&ei=3Y-ITpOCJtGp8QPChIk6&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=1066&vpy=154& dur=3609&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=152&ty=110&page=1&tb nh=144&tbnw=197&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0

Valve replacement is a head-off job and an even bigger /more expensive PITA than checking clearances!

Yes, expensive, yes, worthwhile. ;)

Mark_Able
03-10-11, 08:51 PM
Bet there's nowt to do though. After 50000 miles, my old CBR6 still didn't need the clearances doing.

It's out of manufacturers warranty now, so I'd get any dealer to do it, but skip the valve clearances. If I was buying a bike, I'd be looking for a decent dealers stamp, but not necessarily main dealer. Those motors go on forever with nearly zero maintenance. Ask any courier... ;)

wiltsdan
03-10-11, 09:21 PM
Personally I wouldn't bother, Just make sure you do all the other service items.(but I am skint) Spend your money on decent oil and filter,
Only a slight chance it would need any adjustment, unless it sounds a bit tappy?

wiltsdan
03-10-11, 09:22 PM
Or, do it yourself :-?

470four
03-10-11, 10:14 PM
Or, do it yourself :-?

+1

Tappets are easy enough to do, shim&bucket adjustments more of a nightmare...

Most of the time charged for would be removing & refitting all the bodywork, tank, airbox, rear mudguard, tax disc etc, best to get the Haynes out & have a look.

Engines will need looking at right at the start of their lifes, when they wear in, and right at the end - high mileage, when they start to wear out.

Amazed at how many people are happy to change filters & oil etc but shy away from valve adjustments? Will need doing sooner or later... ;)

Loops
03-10-11, 11:02 PM
Amazed at how many people are happy to change filters & oil etc but shy away from valve adjustments? Will need doing sooner or later... ;)

Depends how easy the job is! I can change the oil and filter (or clean it in one case) on both bikes, but I can only adjust the valves on the CG - the CBR has me baffled with it's talk of shims....! :-?

Green Man
03-10-11, 11:08 PM
8000 Miles dont waste you cash get a check at 16000 [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Snowy
03-10-11, 11:31 PM
On the Boxer I do them every 6K but then they are rather easy to get to ;D. Takes about 10 minutes each side but most of that is getting the rocker cover off. On the K bike its an every 32K check and I have not bothered to do those yet.

Cemorah
04-10-11, 07:53 AM
Most Likely they will not need adjustment so have a go at checking them yourself-just time and feeler guages. If they do need adjustment you can put the bike back together then decide where to spend you cash.

JayP
04-10-11, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Sounds like I can get away with leaving it for a while and just doing the oil change. I'm not a competent mechanic - oil change is about my limit. So when I get the valves checked I will use someone other than HONDA. Can anyone recommend a decent mechanic not too far from Frome who is likely to have the right shims etc? Cheers. Jon

jonnydangerous
05-10-11, 08:04 AM
personally id get them done.....
some engines are more prone to valve clearance issues due to the seat and valve material used (for instance Honda offroad bikes (CRF250/450) need the valves doing every thousand miles or so, and most new Husky's at least as often).
theres a reason that the manufacturer has advertised an 8000 mile check, (this isnt a good advert for them as other manfr's are 26000 or more) they wouldnt advertise a bad point unless it was relevant.

up to you, do you like your bike?

Snowy
05-10-11, 09:08 AM
Just to add, a bit of tappet noise is preferable to no noise at all which could indicate too small a clearance. This can lead to burnt valves and much worse. If your bike has fuel injection don't mistake the sound of the injectors for the tappets though :)

470four
05-10-11, 05:40 PM
personally id get them done.....
some engines are more prone to valve clearance issues due to the seat and valve material used (for instance Honda offroad bikes (CRF250/450) need the valves doing every thousand miles or so, and most new Husky's at least as often).
theres a reason that the manufacturer has advertised an 8000 mile check, (this isnt a good advert for them as other manfr's are 26000 or more) they wouldnt advertise a bad point unless it was relevant.

up to you, do you like your bike?

+1

As per my prevoius post, they will need checking after the engine had has its initial shakedown then will stay that way for years! Get it done and then You Know... ;)

Jon_W
11-10-11, 08:07 AM
If this is the first check since new then it must be done. I check the GS every year and they never seem to change. TBH I send the Sv to a garage as the job is a pig and I can't be arsed.

I would stuick to the service sheet though.

Andybusa
11-10-11, 05:30 PM
Forget it mate. Engines these days go on forever! Change the oil and enjoy the biker experience!!

470four
12-10-11, 04:37 AM
Forget it mate. Engines these days go on forever! Change the oil and enjoy the biker experience!!

I think its safe to say modern engines will put up with a HUGE amount of wrongness without so much as a splutter, then we complain when they blow up?? :o ::)

Yeah, just ride it (straight into the ground...)dont bother changing your plugs either. Double your oil change mileages, dont bother ever changing the filters... ::)

Evogixer
26-10-11, 05:29 PM
8k valve check? Forget it.

Andybusa
08-11-11, 05:57 PM
definitely don't get it done. A waste of money. Wearing parts lead to greater clearances which lead to greater noise.........no noise - no problem!!

Scotty
08-11-11, 09:48 PM
definitely don't get it done. A waste of money. Wearing parts lead to greater clearances which lead to greater noise.........no noise - no problem!!
Eh? You've just completely contradicted yourself there. Make your mind up, do you think that greater clearances (from these "worn" parts) is good, or no noise is good? ::)

Suggestion - if you don't know, don't advise.

Gamer
11-11-11, 12:20 AM
I will say it is better to do so. Yes it is expensive, but maybe better of finding someone and spending nice cold Sunday in the garage and DIY!!!.
They advise it for a reason, what is next check due 30k???
Same thing with first oil change done usually after 600-800 miles. Why ??? because you need to.
Same thing with wheels = tire is changing shape due to use and might loose balance. No one does this, but we should.

VVCALCHEMIST
17-01-12, 06:26 PM
Don't forget checking at home doesn't cost you anything but time taking some parts off and measuring, if they're out of tolerance then at least you'll know, if they're OK then again you'll now know. Don't forget to record your measurements if they're OK so you've got a reference for next time.Your second decision is whether to cough up and get the shims done at a dealers if they need doing, easy ;)

Crosbie
18-01-12, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Sounds like I can get away with leaving it for a while and just doing the oil change. I'm not a competent mechanic - oil change is about my limit. So when I get the valves checked I will use someone other than HONDA. Can anyone recommend a decent mechanic not too far from Frome who is likely to have the right shims etc? Cheers. Jon

If you havent had this done yet and are still looking i can recomend Parsons Motorcycles in Radstock. They have just done mine on the CBR whilst doing a cam chain replacement. Very good on price and friendly.

Gamer
30-01-12, 09:15 PM
I have done mine 2 weeks ago. All exit valves were too tight. 28k
Took me around 3h (first time job) to complete and re-used old gasket, with a bit of silicone.