PDA

View Full Version : Poorly Benly

Dabz
25-02-12, 07:30 PM
Ok so I got the benly started today after sitting there all winter. The choke cable seems to have ceased which didn't help but once started it ticked over ok.

Out onto the road, all good until it got to about 20mph when it started coughing, spluttering, backfiring..loud pops and no extra power when opening the throttle.

Less than 1k later it just died so coasted to the side of the road. No power at all, tho after a lot of swearing it kicked to life. Same thing back toward home, cutting out again..luckily within pushing distance this time.

Oh and it's dripping oil...I think from the gear selector, or at least that area.

So...battery duff, electrical fault, loss of compression or something else do we think?

Jon_W
27-02-12, 09:51 AM
Did you turn the fuel on?????

If so it's gummed up carbs.

Dabz
27-02-12, 10:39 AM
yeh I did - if it's gummed up carbs then it shouldn't be too bad because there's only 1 :P I think it's misfiring because of a lack of compression though - there's a loss around one of the plugs even after it's been helicoiled.

It's going away to Colin's for a while to be sporadically fiddled with soon so it may see the open road again hehe

Jon_W
27-02-12, 11:00 AM
If you only have one carb and it gumms then you loose both pots....

If the plug was that bad you'd hear it blowing. Someone had theis with his CB125T Honda and it turned out to be the exhaust.

House
28-02-12, 04:02 PM
I've got loads of Benly spares if you want to swap something over to try it. Had a new choke cable too but left it in the place i used to work as i had no use for it. Always the way eh?

Dabz
28-02-12, 04:50 PM
don't suppose you have an engine head going spare? :P

House
01-03-12, 10:19 PM
Got a spare motor here but i was going to let it go with the bike. I'll split it if it means getting another one back on the road though.