PDA

View Full Version : Rear Hugger Extender?

Splash
05-03-12, 10:07 AM
Guys,

I seem to be troubled by a lot of spray / crap being chucked up onto the rear of my CBR250R... the bit I am trying to reduce is the crap over the pillion seat....

I purchased a buttflap that hangs and stick outwards below the number plate as I though a lot of spray was coming from the rear tyre, up and over but it hasn't really reduced or changed anything whatsoever...

So I installed a topbox after and that has stopped the spray coming up the back but the spray is coming from the sides and I wondered if a DIY Hugger extender would solve it or would I be wasting my time? The current hugger is soo short as seen in the pic below and I can't find a extended one as yet... or a hugger extender product on the market...

... I get a lot of spray around the back silver panels just above the exhaust so I was going to extended the rear hugger backwards ideally until in-line with the end of the rear swing arm, if safe to do so...as this looks roughly like the fling point for the spray...

What would you suggest to use material wise?

I was thinking corrugated plastic but unsure if it would be suitable and rivet it to the existing hugger or adapt a fender extender for the rear?

I'm not trying to eliminate spray, just control / reduce it... I know the 250R wasn't made for two up but it does it exceptionally well so for now just a quick solution would be lovely!

Thanks in advance! :)

Ash

Scotty
05-03-12, 12:25 PM
You're a little limited for options really Ash, it may be worth checking places like M&P, Busters etc. for a generic-type fender or hugger extender (I can't see your pic whilst at work). There aren't any bikes that I can recall that have a hugger that extends to level with the end of the swingarm, and in trying to fabricate something of this ilk yourself you'll struggle to find a material that will be flexible enough to allow you to form it easily to the shape that you want, yet tough enough to maintain its shape and not deform to contact the rear tyre. Rivetting it to the existing hugger is unlikely to give it a sufficiently robust mounting (plus it could wreck the current hugger in use).
Making it yourself could end up with something that both looks like the dog's dinner and is potentially dangerous as it could quite easily get snagged by the tyre and end up jamming the rear wheel. Unless you can find something bespoke for the job you might have to live with the spray and resign yourself to using waterproofs and regular cleaning. Best of luck...

Splash
05-03-12, 12:44 PM
Thanks Scotty!

It was more for her indoors and she has said "I'm not fussed - it's only dirt" but it annoys me for some reason so I just thought I'd put the idea about and see what people had to say, I appreciate your comments, things I hadn't thought of so much myself!

See has full waterproofs that she has only just got so I wanted to try and keep them nice for the time being until I purchase the new bike but maybe to stop the spray at the side I could just buy some Oxford Soft panniers that will take the crap instead of her clothing... I really need to ride in the wet some more when we get rain and see if it comes from where I think it does...

I feel like my tyres (Avon Road Riders AM26) are part to blame as they have tread depth and the way the tread pattern is it flicks up more dirt than the original nasty IRC Road Winners RX01's... Catch 22

Nelly
05-03-12, 12:54 PM
Had the same on the Z fella. Fitted a hugger and made of difference at all apart from keeping the big gleaming spring a little cleaner.

On the plus side i have found that to keep the rear end clean in the wet, the best option is take the mrs with you. I quite often use Mrs H as my dirt protector. (runs for cover)
;D ;D ;D

Splash
05-03-12, 12:57 PM
the best option is take the mrs with you. I quite often use Mrs H as my dirt protector. (runs for cover)
;D ;D ;D

HAHA!!! I think this sounds like my only option and the easiest one ;)

Snowy
05-03-12, 01:07 PM
the best option is take the mrs with you. I quite often use Mrs H as my dirt protector. (runs for cover)
;D ;D ;D

Might not be the cheapest option though ;D

Splash
05-03-12, 02:12 PM
;D ;D ;D

Might not be the cheapest option though ;D

True, easy never comes cheap ;)