PDA

View Full Version : manual tire change

busaboy
03-04-12, 05:08 PM
well just got my manual tire changer,wheel balancer,tire removal bar with nylon ends for alloy wheels,just need led weights,tire paste,and of course a new tire.

Had a crazy price quote to put a rear tire on a rocket 3 at £90 plus new a tire,so decided to get the tools to do the job my self,all tools cost me £280 all new tools,will pay for it self in 3 tire changers,that be about 10,000 miles (2 years) as i have a few bikes, 12 months it will paid for it self.

Have been told i would not be able to do it, seen my dad to army truck tires 30yrs ago by hand and managed ok, so im looking forward to it,about 4weeks of tire tread left,lets see what happens, any tips would be wellcome.

Snowy
03-04-12, 05:21 PM
well just got my manual tire changer,wheel balancer,tire removal bar with nylon ends for alloy wheels,just need led weights,tire paste,and of course a new tire.

Had a crazy price quote to put a rear tire on a rocket 3 at £90 plus new a tire,so decided to get the tools to do the job my self,all tools cost me £280 all new tools,will pay for it self in 3 tire changers,that be about 10,000 miles (2 years) as i have a few bikes, 12 months it will paid for it self.

Have been told i would not be able to do it, seen my dad to army truck tires 30yrs ago by hand and managed ok, so im looking forward to it,about 4weeks of tire tread left,lets see what happens, any tips would be wellcome.

I change mine on both my bikes. The real trick is to get the opposite end of the tyre from where your working right into the middle of the tyre well. This makes it easier to get the tyre on and off. Use plenty of tyre lube. It gets easier the more you do. Buy good rim protectors to.

Toph
03-04-12, 06:26 PM
I've bought a few Tyres off Jaydee in the past, he changes tyres manually, It's like watching a surgeon at work. 8-) ;D

bobf279
03-04-12, 08:46 PM
I've started to change my own too, not too difficult just take your time and snowy says plenty of lube