PDA

View Full Version : wheel out of true

JayP
16-05-12, 08:31 PM
I bought a DRZ400 on ebay recently. A bit of a gamble as I know nothing about mechanics. It seems to run fine apart from when you go above about 60 it feels a bit wobbly. I lifted the back up with a paddock stand and when I spin the wheel it goes 'in and out' like a warped record (for those who remember what warped records look like!). I assume this means the wheel is out of true and I wondered if it is possible to correct this and, if so, can anyone suggest a place in the Frome/Trowbridge/Westbury area where I could get it done? What sort of cost might be involved - (or is that a 'how long is a piece of string' type question?).
Cheers

Jon_W
17-05-12, 08:00 AM
It could be a tyre badly fitted.

If it is the rim on a spoked wheel (like the one in your profile pic) then it could be re built and repaired.

JayP
17-05-12, 08:27 AM
It could be a tyre badly fitted.

If it is the rim on a spoked wheel (like the one in your profile pic) then it could be re built and repaired.

Cheers Jon. Yes, it is a spoked wheel. Hopefully it is just the tyre then. I'll get it checked out.

Nikki
17-05-12, 10:56 AM
If you do need the spokes sorted have a chat with Phil Stokes in Westbury (his service is fantastic) I'm pretty sure someone here on the forum mentioned in the past that he will re-spoke wheels.

Snowy
17-05-12, 11:05 AM
Have you checked the rear wheel alignment on both sides of the spindle relative to the chain adjusters? The adjustment should be the same on both sides otherwise the wheel will be out of alignment with the chassis.

I am a bit rusty on my chain knowledge but I assume you would have markings on both sides of the spindle.

spudgun
17-05-12, 11:11 AM
Hold a pen/screwdriver on the top of the swingarm and about 5mm away from the rim and slowly start rotating the wheel

- if the gap between the rim and pen/screwdriver doesn't stay constant then your rim is out

- if the gap remains the same then it's more than likely to be the tyre fitted badly

JayP
17-05-12, 02:33 PM
Thanks all. I will follow your advice.

Rabb
18-05-12, 08:19 PM
If you do need the spokes sorted have a chat with Phil Stokes in Westbury (his service is fantastic) I'm pretty sure someone here on the forum mentioned in the past that he will re-spoke wheels.

Phil will sort it - Great guy with excellent personal service

JayP
18-05-12, 09:33 PM
Rear wheel is now in Phils capable hands! Cheers All.