PDA

View Full Version : Honda CBR 600F FI 02 reg won't start

sfergusson1
17-05-12, 07:35 AM
Hi there,

I went out to my Honda CBR 600F yesterday and it would not start. It turns over but will not fire.

My knowledge of motorcycle mechanics is virtually zero I am afraid so I called the RAC man out and this is what he said:

1) You can't hear the fuel pump when you turn the ignition on

2) He said there is power going to the coil (spark?)

3) After trying to start the bike for a long time there was no smell of fuel - it should stink (even I knew that!)

4) The battery is now virtually flat :-[

I am going to get someone to look at and was going to call Phoenix Motorcycles Trowbridge as they have been recommended to me in the past - quite simply I don't know of anyone in the area who is good value and fair as I have never needed to use a motorcycle mechanic. I am a bit worried about how much this will cost as I presume someone is going to have to come and get the bike and take it back to the workshop and then fix it. I was guesstimating around the £300 mark plus VAT - fuel pump £100/collection £100/labour £100 ? Of course it may be something other than the pump, such as a sensor but we won't know until it is looked at.

Sorry to be dim about this but it is my new hobby and I am on a steep learning curve lol :)

I have got the money to pay for it I am just a bit worried about getting stropped up financially (big apologies to all the genuine motorcycle mechanics out there).

I've only had the bloody thing a week lol......grrrrrrr !

Any advice is (as always) hugely apppreciated ;D

NiteW4tcher
17-05-12, 07:44 AM
it could be the fuel pump relay that's given up. cant remember if your bike has a angle sensor.........so if the bike goes down the fuel pump is cut out as a fire precaution, if it does that's another possibility

Jon_W
17-05-12, 07:57 AM
This could be a few things.

Either a knackered fuel pump or a knackered ignition.

Turn the bike over a few times, remove a plug and see if it smells of fuel....

Whilst you have the plug out, re-connect it to the ignition and hold against the engine casing. Turn the bike over and see if there is a spark.

Mitch9128
17-05-12, 01:05 PM
Cam position sensor, if it's farked it won't let the pump prime, but you will get spark, and it will turn over. Can you whip it out and do a resistance test on it? Have you got a Haynes?

silly_simon
17-05-12, 08:40 PM
Where you too Stewart, send me a PM and I'll come have a look :) Just as a basic question though & something usually overlooked BUT have you accidently knocked the KILL switch on the right hand throttle ??
If not PM me ;)

4L1Stroker
17-05-12, 09:03 PM
Where you too Stewart, send me a PM and I'll come have a look :) Just as a basic question though & something usually overlooked BUT have you accidently knocked the KILL switch on the right hand throttle ??
If not PM me ;)

I've done that before, took an hour so before i noticed, very embaresed.

Mitch9128
18-05-12, 07:40 AM
First bike ever that turns over with the kill switch flicked if it is!

Jon_W
18-05-12, 08:00 AM

Mine do.

Mitch9128
18-05-12, 08:29 AM

Mine do.

Correctificated...

First post-war bike that turns over with kill switch flicked. :D

Ok but a cbr 600 of that vintage shouldn't!!!

Swanny
18-05-12, 08:54 AM
Just asking an obvious question.
Is there petrol in the tank?

Jon_W
18-05-12, 01:03 PM

Mine do.

Correctificated...

Cheeky Sod. >:( :D

silly_simon
19-05-12, 09:40 AM

Mine do.

Correctificated...

LMAO @ Mitch ;D ;D

But true though I suppose, But then again stranger things have happened :o

R6_Don
19-05-12, 01:50 PM
My 04 r6 will turn over and not start with the kill switch on.

Mark_Able
19-05-12, 07:27 PM
My old Fireplace would turn over but not fire with kill switch off. So would a CBR400. I'd flick it on and off a few times, because I've had a dicky kill switch in the past too... ::)

8_ball
20-05-12, 01:01 AM
had this problem with cbr 1000f and it turned out to be the fuel relay, ebay £5 8-)