PDA

View Full Version : Help

Rabb
04-06-12, 11:31 PM
My bike fell off it's stand whilst running tonight.
I have an old 'carb' GSXR.
I couldn't get it to start and fully depleted the battery - so I charged the battery fully before trying to start it again (obviously flooded)
I decided it was a good idea to take it for a 10 minute run to clear the petrol from the carbs and it was acting very strangly.
It would get up to about 6k revs running as rough as buggery!
If I kept the throttle high it would suddenly run smooth and accelerate rapidly.
Have I 'fouled' a plug? Will it sort itself out on a long run
What do I do to put it right?
Please help....

Swanny
04-06-12, 11:49 PM
Maybe you've stirred up the petrol and some **** has got into your carbs??

Rabb
05-06-12, 12:05 AM
Maybe you've stirred up the petrol and some **** has got into your carbs??

Thanks Swanny - I'm going to investigate in the morning.
If it's lots of petrol in the carbs it might have evaporated by the morning and I might not have a problem however, I think that one of the plugs is fouled - I'm not a
Mechanic though - so I don't know for sure.
Looks like an even earlier start for me Tomorrow - Oh well!!

alanTDM
05-06-12, 08:51 AM
Could be a sticky carb float,a tap might cure that or
Drain the carbs then fill them up again and then drain each carb if no petrol comes out thats the one that is stuck.

jonneyflame
05-06-12, 11:43 AM
it could be clogged jets, the high rev jets could be fine hence ok after 6000 revs, also see if its running on all cylinders, carefully check the exhausts, it will tell you if one of the cylinders isnt getting fuel at low revs if its cold. i had an old CBR with the same sort of problems.was a nightmare to track down

8_ball
05-06-12, 01:13 PM
Could be a sticky carb float,a tap might cure that or
Drain the carbs then fill them up again and then drain each carb if no petrol comes out thats the one that is stuck.
could also be that short float pin that they seem to put in them and the fall has dislodged it ???
bottom of the carb off, carbs on bike and check it still moves freely ?? :o

Rabb
05-06-12, 09:22 PM
Bike was fine this morning.
I have had this happen before - only it sorted itself out quicker.
Rode it this morning and it was though nothing had happened.
I believe that it was something to do with the baffles in the engine.
Someone once told me that my engine has baffles that when it 'has a lie down' the oil takes a long time to flow back down to where it should be - hence the 'rough running'
It went like the wind this morning.....
Thanks for the input gents - I am very relieved it's alright!