PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads (Rear)

Rabb
06-06-12, 08:12 PM
Two weeks ago I fitted a new set of rear pads.
Not cheap ones either!
I duly followed all the run-in procedure of 300 miles followed by a couple of 60mph stops to bed them into the rotors properly. They have now done 800 miles and have worn down to nothing???
When installing - I checked for free movement of the pistons and everything seemed fine however I now need to replace them again - any ideas anyone ???
The particular manufacturer of these pads offers a 5000 mile warranty on these pads - and I will be investigating this Tomorrow.

Mitch9128
06-06-12, 08:19 PM
60mph stoppies on the rear?? A little slow control and the odd 'oh feck' is all i use the rear for!

Rabb
06-06-12, 09:19 PM
Took them apart now - pistons binding!
Will have to sort Tomorrow....

Rabb
06-06-12, 09:21 PM
60mph stoppies on the rear?? A little slow control and the odd 'oh feck' is all i use the rear for!

Thats what they said to do on the manufacturers website

Dan505
06-06-12, 11:17 PM
i'd do the 60mph stops for front but rears i'd do a bit of slow speed whilst holding the pads on. i would suggest a stuck caliper but see you've already said that!

when you fitted them did you clean the pistons and bleed the system to get the pistons out properly and check the seals? also check there's grease on the caliper guide pistons, this is what caused mine to sticj but easy enough to fix

i know you don't nessecerily need to bleed to do it but is worth doing right to save yourself the hassle.

is it possible you knocked it when it came off the stand the other day?
hope you get it sorted soon

Rabb
07-06-12, 09:08 AM
i'd do the 60mph stops for front but rears i'd do a bit of slow speed whilst holding the pads on. i would suggest a stuck caliper but see you've already said that!

when you fitted them did you clean the pistons and bleed the system to get the pistons out properly and check the seals? also check there's grease on the caliper guide pistons, this is what caused mine to sticj but easy enough to fix

i know you don't nessecerily need to bleed to do it but is worth doing right to save yourself the hassle.

is it possible you knocked it when it came off the stand the other day?

Bled them, cleaned them completely, checked for free movement - the only thing I didn't do was change the seals as there was no apparent problem with them
hope you get it sorted soon

Rabb
07-06-12, 10:09 PM
Update - needed new seals!
One dust seal fouled in the piston - and the other seals were shot too!
Ready to go now!

Dan505
08-06-12, 09:55 PM
nice one [smiley=thumbsup.gif]