PDA

View Full Version : U Turn

grumpyget
06-04-12, 05:48 PM
Hi All why am i finding it so hard to do a u turn on my R6 i get nearly to the end and i really have to put my foot down coz i start to loose the bike..

Jacde
06-04-12, 06:20 PM
Are you keeping your revs up?
I use lots of revs, back brake and clutch for control and I look past where I want to end up otherwise I struggle to get bike all the way round.

NiteW4tcher
06-04-12, 07:01 PM
r6- crap turning circle

but as jacde says is good

grumpyget
06-04-12, 07:24 PM
Hi jacde yer revs up foot on back brake and clutch for control but as i get to near the end of the u turn i loose the balance, thanks for the advice.

Jacde
06-04-12, 07:26 PM
Have you got an empty car park near by?? Practice loads [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

car park is good as you can use the lines of the parking spaces to be a guide as to how tight your u turn gets with practice.

voodoo
06-04-12, 07:35 PM
do you turn with the bike upright or do you counter-lean?

grumpyget
06-04-12, 07:43 PM
Up riight voodoo then counter lean as the bike sterts to go over,,

grumpyget
06-04-12, 07:43 PM
i think i will be spending the next couple of weeks practicing this i think,, :)

grumpyget
06-04-12, 07:45 PM
the turning circle is bad on the R6 i have been hearing but i will master it some how...
;D

NiteW4tcher
06-04-12, 07:49 PM
most sports bikes are mate

voodoo
06-04-12, 07:52 PM
indeed. sounds like you've got everything nailed down so I'm sure you'll crack it, even on an r6 :D

grumpyget
06-04-12, 07:55 PM
yer will just have to live with that, time will tell will keep trying and use my foot if i have to ;D

voodoo
06-04-12, 07:58 PM
just light the rear wheel up with your foot down a-la-doughnut ;D

grumpyget
06-04-12, 07:59 PM
Ha Ha Ha LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

NiteW4tcher
06-04-12, 08:00 PM

aslong as its between the lines :D ;D

voodoo
06-04-12, 08:01 PM
aslong as its between the lines :D ;D
safety first and all [smiley=thumbsup.gif] ;)

grumpyget
06-04-12, 08:10 PM
Always voodoo ,

Mark_Able
06-04-12, 09:02 PM
Most people put their foot down on the U-turn because the bike loses speed and starts to drop into the turn, at which point panic sets in, and they pull the clutch in and hit the brakes (and then struggle to hold it up). At the point at which the bike starts to drop into the turn, ease the clutch out. The extra speed helps the bike right itself. Remember, slowing when leant over will cause the bike to lean more. Whereas, increasing your speed will bring the bike back upright. Either that, or get off and push it round... ;D

bobf279
06-04-12, 09:31 PM
Been there done that.........didn't I Mark ;)

grumpyget
06-04-12, 10:46 PM
Most people put their foot down on the U-turn because the bike loses speed and starts to drop into the turn, at which point panic sets in, and they pull the clutch in and hit the brakes (and then struggle to hold it up). At the point at which the bike starts to drop into the turn, ease the clutch out. The extra speed helps the bike right itself. Remember, slowing when leant over will cause the bike to lean more. Whereas, increasing your speed will bring the bike back upright. Either that, or get off and push it round... ;D
Cool Able Training i will try that when i am next out. thanks :)

wiltsdan
10-04-12, 09:53 PM
what Able said, more speed.

Dan505
17-04-12, 11:32 PM
i used to favour the traditional 8 point turn as mine turns like the titanic, but practise is all you need, your nail it soon ;)

Maz
20-06-12, 01:53 PM
What everyone else said! Dont do what I did when I was learnint the u turn! Turn my head but not my handlebars so I continued to go in a straight line ;D

I am ok woth it now lile but was quite funny!

Geordie Stu
25-06-12, 06:50 PM
Try pushing round 1st if it goes round pushing then it will go round riding it. [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Beamer
25-06-12, 08:41 PM
U turns used to be my ultimate pet hate....but after learning how to nail it Ive done quite a few since passing my test :) :) :) ..without dropping the bike !!! Or falling off into piles of doggy doo's.

I used to place something to focus on and look at right at the end of the u turn so I always ended up where I was looking (whilst keeping the revs up)........hark at me !! Little Miss I cant do it hehe.

Once you get it you wont forget (says she who is a serial dropper at slow speed hehe)

;D ;D ;D ;D

Jon_W
26-06-12, 10:35 AM
I find that you need more spped than you think and that the best way is to keep the engine at a constant pace and to use the clutch.

Also tyr leaning the bike over whist you stay upright. I find that helps.

Mark_Able
26-06-12, 08:30 PM
Also tyr leaning the bike over whist you stay upright. I find that helps.

We call that 'counter leaning', and yes it helps a lot. :)

redken1
26-06-12, 09:21 PM
Government made a successful u-turn today – 3pence duty on fuel suspended until end of year. :)

Oops! Sorry Mark not that kind of u-turn. :-[ ;)

Rabb
27-06-12, 11:33 PM
I found when I was struggling with U-turns on my gixxer (probably one of the worst bikes to learn slow riding / U-turns on)
I would stop about half a metre out from the u-turn kerb/line (at an angle) pointed towards the outside of the line/kerb then I would pull off aiming towards the line - I would then turn-in quickly without going onto full lock (full lock on a gixxer only has one result).
Maintain speed with clutch only (keeping the revs reasonably high). I can now get the u-turn in with about 2 metres to spare.

And as a footnote - never use the front brake on a u-turn
If you have to use the brake dab your rear brake only.