PDA

View Full Version : Puncturesafe Blue Goo

Loops
20-06-12, 09:53 PM
To continue the positive threads we've had recently about good service, I thought I'd remind people about the blue Puncturesafe goo that Nooj fits.

I wasn't sure how well it would work but I had the CBR done last year and I can now say I have tested it, and it does seem to do the job! Those of you at the H&C last week will have seen the screw he picked up in the rear tyre - that is now out and the tyre is still holding pressure 2 days later 8-)

Will be having it put in again when the tyres need replacing. And if a bunch of bikes wanted it fitted to go to Cornwall I'm sure he would be willing to come over this way and save us all a drive.

Rabb
20-06-12, 10:48 PM
I've got puncture safe in both of my tyres.
I had a slow in the rear that couldn't be traced - it's held it's 36psi for at least a month now - with no signs of any pressure loss at all!
There are some vids on utube of this amazing products abilities.
- and its made & designed in the UK!
P.s. It's a 'permanent repair' - not a temporary repair.

Thorkill_The_Tall
25-06-12, 11:06 PM
Used the stuff for years, when it was still called Ultraseal, then stopped using it, now started using it again.

It's a bit like Marmite...
Some like it - some don't.
If you are in the 'isn't your life worth the price of a new tyre?' camp, just think of it as a pretty good 'get me home' fix, without having to trundle about at 30 MPH, or so.

Just remember to tell whoever fits your tyres that it's in there so the're prepared for it.

If you can't face all the hassle of doing the boring squirting in bit, Lightning Services (http://www.motorcyclesbath.co.uk/) have just started doing it, ride in-ride out.

Swanny
26-06-12, 12:51 AM
Those of you at the H&C last week will have seen the screw he picked up in the rear tyre - that is now out and the tyre is still holding pressure 2 days later 8-)

Will be having it put in again when the tyres need replacing.

What the screw??? :o

;D

Geordie Stu
26-06-12, 10:17 AM
An old video. Rhino tyre is this the same?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGCaqPzirJ8

DC
26-06-12, 10:32 AM
Pretty amazing stuff !!! :o

Swanny
26-06-12, 10:59 AM
Get away drivers should use it :D

DC
26-06-12, 11:08 AM
If I didnt have tubes in my tyres i would put some in mine !

Ducatista
26-06-12, 11:11 AM
An alternative view (I seem to be having a lot of those lately ;D).
Guy who changed my tyres (Rob Jone - very experienced, trustworthy, highly recommended and well known mechanic), didn't like it.
Can unbalance the tyres.

Also read in Ride magazine recently that one guy picked up 13 punctures riding past an accident scene. Didn't realise because of the puncture safe.
Ended up coming off and in intensive care.

That's not my opinion (anticipating the disagreement :)) that was published in RIDE magazine very recently.

It does seem that whatever subject you pick - tyre repairs, waterproofs, scottoilers, preventative tyre sealants that you can get totally opposite view points.

I don't use it anymore.

Nikki
26-06-12, 11:21 AM
It does seem that whatever subject you pick - tyre repairs, waterproofs, scottoilers, preventative tyre sealants that you can get totally opposite view points.

VERY true! :)

Its not for me either - the price of a new tyre is absolutely insignificant compared to what I'm worth as far as I'm concerned.

Ducatista
26-06-12, 01:02 PM
the price of a new tyre is absolutely insignificant compared to what I'm worth as far as I'm concerned.

+1

Recently I had a screw right in the middle of my tyre.
Rob Jones said he wouldn't repair it.
JHS in Keynsham said they would but I'd have to sign a disclaimer about it being only suitable for up to 75 mph.

I got a new one, but along the way I got many totally different opinions.

Jon_W
26-06-12, 01:03 PM

VERY true! :)

Its not for me either - the price of a new tyre is absolutely insignificant compared to what I'm worth as far as I'm concerned.

Isn't that half the fun of WB..... would be pretty quiet on here if we all agreed with each other.

I don't use tyre sealant apart from a "get you home" fix. The cub has tubed tyres and a new tube is pittance, the GS gets tubes fitted if the tyres are new or a new tyre if nearly worn out and I tend to buy new tyres for the sv out of paranoia.

DC
26-06-12, 02:30 PM
Isn't that half the fun of WB..... would be pretty quiet on here if we all agreed with each other.

I beg to differ !!! ;)

Nikki
26-06-12, 02:36 PM
the price of a new tyre is absolutely insignificant compared to what I'm worth as far as I'm concerned.

+1

Recently I had a screw right in the middle of my tyre.
Rob Jones said he wouldn't repair it.
JHS in Keynsham said they would but I'd have to sign a disclaimer about it being only suitable for up to 75 mph.

I got a new one, but along the way I got many totally different opinions.

Just a thought but if it was an Avon tyre they used to (and may still do?) offer a free replacement subject to certain conditions if you suffer a puncture on a relatively new tyre.

Ducatista
26-06-12, 02:50 PM
Worth knowing but no it was a Michelin.
I believe Michellin do allow repairs on Z-rated tyres within certain criteria unlike some other manufacturers, but with the advice I got I decided to replace.

Bit of a bummer but it's not that serious in the scheme of things.

Snowy
26-06-12, 03:48 PM
Personally I have used a tyre plugger kit on two occasions both of which were kept in for the life of the tyre with no problems - these use mushroom shaped plugs that are inserted externally. One puncture however I decided couldn't be safely plugged and bought a new one even though the old tyre was virtually brand new. On these repairs I have not kept to any particular speed limit with the repairs which were on rears however I would if it was on a front tyre and in that case would only treat it as a temporary repair.

I would never use a puncture sealant plus it would really mess up the tyre pressure monitors fitted to the GS.

This is based on my own criteria for deciding if its safe to repair or not, my own judgement concerning the repair, whether to replace or not and taking my own responsibility for dealing with the problem should the repair fail. Some times we have to make our own decisions in life......... IMHO of course!

However, if I fixed someone else's tyre at their request I would recommend they treat it as a temporary repair only, not to exceed 40mph and get it professionally repaired for their own safety ;)

Loops
26-06-12, 06:33 PM
Everyone has different opinions and will decide what works for them :)

For me and my riding style, this stuff works and means I don't have to worry about getting a flat tyre - I can ride home and deal with it there instead of maybe being stranded on my own in the middle of nowehere waiting for recovery.

If you do fit it, it doesn't mean you no longer have to check your tyres over, in fact as someone said above, it almost makes it more important as that's the way you'll notice problems instead of your tyre being flat.

bobf279
26-06-12, 08:06 PM
I have used puncture safe ever since I had to replace a punctured brand new rear on the DV because the tyre is Z rated and I couldn't get anyone to repair it, even though the bike can't do the rated speed.

Ducatista
27-06-12, 08:36 AM
because the tyre is Z rated and I couldn't get anyone to repair it, even though the bike can't do the rated speed.

My recent experience is that places are now more reluctant to repair.
I don't think that's financially driven, but driven by companies being more risk averse.

I had a puncture in a Michellin Z rated tyre (pilot road 2) in June 2010.
JHS in Keynsham repaired it and I'm pretty sure he said something akin to "ride it like you stole it".

I had a very similar pucture recently in 2012 - screw in the middle of the tread.
This time JHS said you need to sign the disclaimer with the 75mph limit. That doesn't mean it's going to fall apart at 75 but that they aren't willing to accept liability.

I don't think it's financially driven as some people won't repair so they are prepared to turn down your business.

Swanny
27-06-12, 09:24 AM
Good idea if you're off touring abroad

Ducatista
27-06-12, 11:20 AM
Good idea if you're off touring abroad

The irony is that many BMW touring bikes can't use it.

Ade
02-07-12, 12:48 AM
I had Puncture-safe in one set of tyres but haven't in my last two sets, and won't be on future new tyres either.

I'm sure it's efficient stuff... but if I had had a screw removed from a tyre and the hole filled with the Puncturesafe, I personally would only take that as a temp measure and still get a new tyre fitted asap.

Like Ducatista said, lots of different opinions, but that's what the forum is about. :)

Ducatista
02-07-12, 09:06 AM
but if I had had a screw removed from a tyre and the hole filled with the Puncturesafe, I personally would only take that as a temp measure and still get a new tyre fitted asap.

+1

As someone else said my safety is worth a lot more than the price of a tyre.

t3scn
02-07-12, 05:48 PM
I'm sure it's efficient stuff... but if I had had a screw removed from a tyre and the hole filled with the Puncturesafe, I personally would only take that as a temp measure and still get a new tyre fitted asap.

+2 on that

lizand
08-07-12, 08:36 PM
I wouldn't put this stuff in any bike. Put some in both wheels on my Hayabusa and the vibration from the front was terrible at high speed. How can your wheels retain any semblance of balance? The other time was when I actually had a puncture and the goo/stuff spat itself all over the place at 100mph until the bike starting weaving and I stopped...........was flat as a pancake.