Grumpy
08-05-12, 04:40 PM
Would Braided Brake Hoses help my braking at high speeds

Swanny
08-05-12, 06:24 PM
I can't imagine they would make any difference at all. :-/

db
08-05-12, 08:13 PM
yes,they make quite a bit of difference,especially if your bike is over 3 years old

Ade
08-05-12, 08:26 PM
yes,they make quite a bit of difference,especially if your bike is over 3 years old
not being a bike technician ... why ??

Snowy
08-05-12, 08:45 PM
Differences are marginal in my experience, I could'nt tell much difference in operation but I fitted them as replacements when one of mine sprung a leak on my K1100 - mind you they were 14 years old at this point. Why are you looking to change them anyway - what do you think the benefit is?

goz1960
08-05-12, 08:47 PM
Have only ever noticed marginal difference when I have changed in the past, now only change when a replacement is required.

Senna(Dan)
08-05-12, 09:00 PM
Being on an R6 those brakes should do more than ample. I found that better pads were a bigger improvement than braided lines

bobtheimp
08-05-12, 10:14 PM
I would say that braided hoses are good if you need replacements, simply because they'll last a lot longer than standard OE hoses ... but if it's performance you're after, then better pads, good caliper maintenance and regular fluid changes will make more of a difference.

Swanny
09-05-12, 01:00 AM
Maybe it's the new brake fluid that makes the difference???

Mitch9128
09-05-12, 07:00 AM
If you get the ones with dual lines from the MC, they'll be a lot easier to blead, well worth it for that alone!

Jon_W
09-05-12, 08:10 AM
Yes. Braded hoses make a difference, but if you need to brake that hard you are probably going too fast!

The theory is that the hoses are stiffer and resist expansion more than the standard rubber hoses. This means that less pressure is wasted in the hose and so increases the pressure in the caliper. It's not a lot but I've noticed a difference on the SV.

As said above, I'd not bother unless the lines need replacing.

wiltsdan
09-05-12, 08:26 PM
Your R6 should have good brakes as standard :)

Thorkill_The_Tall
09-05-12, 09:47 PM
Wot Jon W sez, regarding braided hoses.

It might be worth noting that most manufacturers give their OE rubber hoses a life span of between 5 to 7 years.
If yours are older than this, I'd consider changing them, anyway.
While you're at it, change the bleed nipples for stainless ones.

Mark_Able
14-05-12, 09:12 PM
All braided lines do, is give you a 'firmer' feel at the lever. It doesn't improve your braking, only you can do that. Decent pads can make a huge difference, but will wear your discs out a lot quicker. If you need to improve the standard brakes on an R6, you shouldn't be riding like that on the road. I only modified the brakes on my R1 when I took it on the track. They were more than adequate on the road.

There is another advantage to braided lines though. They're are less likely to be damaged in a crash. This is the main reason they insist on braided lines when you go racing. Also, the lines should be run seperately down each fork leg, not looped over the top over the mudguard. If a tyre delaminates, it is less likely to damage the brake lines.

lizand
10-07-12, 05:58 PM
In my experience braided hoses make no difference whatsoever. What does make a big difference is changing to HH sintered pads and making sure the brake fluid is changed every 2 years.

470four
10-07-12, 08:38 PM
Would recommend braided lines as a replacement for standard rubber lines, standard lines will have as already stated a life of 5-7 years, after which they will expand on use, giving a spongy feel to your lever, regardless of how much the system is bled?

A full system refresh (caliper rebuild, stripped & cleaned with new seals) & of course new fluid will feel like what they are - new brakes!

HH sintered pads will bite better dry or wet conditions at the expense of extra disc wear? Dont forget the option of new/wavy discs...

Everybody has a different ideal brake feel. At the end of the day they are just as important as your tyres from keeping you off the road, look after them!

Brakes only slow you down. :D

Squashed_Fly
11-07-12, 06:17 PM
They make your brakes better purely because they look cool. Everyone knows that when something looks cool, it goes faster and stops quicker! [smiley=lolk.gif]

Geordie Stu
12-07-12, 02:05 PM
I'm by no means a mechanic. With that said, I can only think that decent pads & brake fluid would help.... ::)

Snowy
12-07-12, 03:14 PM
On my K1100RS I changed the rubber hoses to braided S/S when they were about 14 years old. I found a pin prick leak in one so just decided to change them all. Very little difference to be honest in braking power, maybe a little bit more precise in use but that was all. I had already switched to HH Sintered EBC pads and it was that that had transformed the brakes from merely good to sensational. For 20 year old brakes they can haul the K bike down from speed quicker than with the new GSA which are fitted with Ferodo Platinum organic pads and the bikes weigh almost the same at around 285Kgs. The disks do wear more quickly but I'm fairly light on the brakes in normal riding so they are lasting well. I wouldn't bother with wavy disks myself as I see them as purely cosmetic and add nothing to braking efficiency.

Geordie Stu
12-07-12, 04:45 PM
My Z1000 has holws & waving disc's, like snowy says purely cosmetic ;)

vinny
07-08-12, 05:07 PM
as said by others new lines help on older bikes when hoses are getting a bit weathered new fluid and better pads are normaly the way to go and not cheap pads anything over scooter size ebc SBS or ferodo all good people have there preferences