PDA

View Full Version : Motorway riding

Dan505
26-03-12, 10:16 PM
I'm thinking of using the motorway for the first time, on my bike, and could do with some advice please

Anything to make the trip safer & smoother plus anything to watch out for?

Thanks

Morticia
26-03-12, 10:54 PM
I found the motorway sooooooooooooooooo boring I almost fell asleep on it...If you're concerned you could maybe start by going from one junction to another to get used to it. Sit on the slow lane if you need to. And don't worry too much about it, riding there is easier than thhrough town.

8_ball
26-03-12, 11:41 PM
keep checking your mirrors, you need to pay attention to whats happening behind you more so on the motorway.
just relax and enjoy the bordom. ::)

t1pper
27-03-12, 12:03 AM
You need to be a bit more aware of other traffic keep a watch out for drivers changing lane without checking or indicating you could get lost in a blind spot.

Also give yourself a little bit more room everything happens a bit quicker on the motorway due to the higher speeds. Finally relax

NiteW4tcher
27-03-12, 12:14 AM
all of the above really......also when changing lanes i tend to be a little more brisk with the throttle....as i can be hard to judge the speed of a car coming from behind.

dont make sharp lane changes make them smooth shoulder checks and more shoulder checks......then make your move.

when exiting on to slip road double check for cars cutting lanes up as they panic because there about to miss there junction (seen cars lock there brakes up and cross lanes smoking tyres just to make that junction.)

if you come to a round about at end of slip road be prepared for people in wrong lanes.

oh and watch your speed ;D the boredom can take over.

Swanny
27-03-12, 12:39 AM
Avoid the motorways if possible, far too boring

Mitch9128
27-03-12, 07:06 AM
A good game to play is shut your eyes and count, see if you can get above 24, that's my record.

Jon_W
27-03-12, 07:56 AM
Ride in the middle of your lane, remember that the cars both ahead and behind are not looking for a motorcycle so take a look over your shoulder and indicate before changing lanes. Be visible, wear a hi-viz.

Keep plenty of space to the car in front, and relax. It's dull, but will get you there. Best plac to practice is between 15 and 16 on the M4. Nice short run between junctions.

lolliver
27-03-12, 08:48 AM
Best plac to practice is between 15 and 16 on the M4. Nice short run between junctions.

Riding between 18 and 19's reasonably short too. Plus you get to ride on all of the nice roads around Bath =)

I commute pretty frequently between Melksham and Bristol on the motorway, but my advice is the same as above; shoulder checks are absolute life savers on the motorway! Especially if the guy who was just behind you decides to try his luck and go for a cheeky overtake as you're indicating to change lane.

Nikki
27-03-12, 11:00 AM
I'm thinking of using the motorway for the first time, on my bike, and could do with some advice please

Anything to make the trip safer & smoother plus anything to watch out for?

Thanks

Stay alert and keep watching all around - as others have said it can be so boring on a motorway.

When you get bored/tired its easy to mis-judge speed, your own and others, and stopping distances.

I'm also careful to make sure I know whats going on behind especially when slowing down and if a line of traffic slows/stops. A rear end shunt wouldnt be fun on two wheels.

Also make sure you keep a look out for, and can see any rubbish/pot holes - not fun at motorway speeds.

I'd aim for a first motorway run when the traffic is a bit quieter.

Loops
27-03-12, 01:12 PM
You'll be fine Dan.

Lots of good advice already, but mainly just do lots of checks before you make a move, give yourself more space, and aim to just keep up with the traffic for your first few runs - chill out in the slow lane 8-)

supermancss
27-03-12, 01:29 PM
suprised nobdy else seems to have mentioned this, but you will find it very windy. Due to all the traffic pushing the air in both directions. Depending on what bike you have you will obviously feel it more/less than others.

I usually try and get it over with ASAP and stick my head down under the screen lol. As others have said, mirrorrrrss... I adjust mine slightly if going on motorway so they provide better coverage for swapping lanes rather than just general riding.

Btw dont turn around completely at speed, you will get pushed by the wind and wobble, done this myself.. scary!!

Scotty
27-03-12, 01:34 PM
...chill out in the slow lane 8-)
I'd definitely advise against hanging around in the slow lane Dan! That's where the trucks predominantly live, the carriageway surface is often distorted into shallow ruts, it's the dirtiest lane with oil deposits and tyre debris, and you want to keep yourself as far away from trucks as you can - they're unpredictable (especially the foreign ones), the drivers' visibility of other road users is compromised (ditto foreign ones) and you really don't want to get amongst them if at all possible. Keep your speed to at least 70 and keep an eye on one truck following close behind another, it could easily pull out for the famous three-mile overtake and might not see you (or indicate) before doing so. Stay sharp to stay alive...

Jon_W
27-03-12, 01:35 PM
...and watch out for these:

http://www.profimedia.com/photo/police-operated-mobile-speed-detection-camera-van/profimedia-0008726696.jpg

Snowy
27-03-12, 02:51 PM
Give yourself plenty of time and room to move over into the first overtaking lane when anticipating traffic that is merging from the left onto the motorway. Things have a habit of happening very fast at junctions when you have been sat on a long stretch at a constant speed. Don't undertake either unless you really want to end up in A&E. I would leave filtering to when you have a bit more experience but if you do do it, not at 70mph!

Squashed_Fly
27-03-12, 04:03 PM
The motorway is the safest place you can be (other than at home in the garden sunbathing!).

All the traffic is going the same way, at give or take the same speed, and you can only enter in 1 direction (not the band!).

By law, you have to stick to the slow lane unless overtaking, and you can be pulled for middle lane hogging, even though as Scotty says, it's the dirtiest lane usually. Even so, you're going in a straight line so shouldn't have any probs.

If you are in heavy traffic and filtering, THE SAFEST PLACE TO FILTER IS BETWEEN THE MIDDLE AND FAST LANES!!!! Just keep an eye on your mirrors, remember lifesavers, and watch thehead of the driver of the car in front to see where he's looking, and therefore likely to go. Also, it's a good way to spot undercovers, as they quite often still wear uniform in unmarked cars...

Rossio
27-03-12, 05:17 PM
[quote author=Squashed_Fly link=1332796573/15#15 date=1332860626]THE SAFEST PLACE TO FILTER IS BETWEEN THE MIDDLE AND FAST LANES!!!! quote]

Great fun on the m25 isnt it ;)

Nikki
27-03-12, 06:34 PM
Arghhh we don't have a slow and fast lane on our motorways its lanes 1, 2 and 3...sorry but it drives me mad that...feeling better already :)

Nikki
27-03-12, 06:38 PM
Another thing to be aware of is the indent in lane one from the lorries etc., it can catch you out a bit. Its really bad between Chippenham and Swindon.

Dan505
27-03-12, 08:24 PM
Thanks for advice everyone and [smiley=thumbsup.gif] cheers Jon, Scotty and Snowy some good points that have really made me think

Swanny
28-03-12, 12:09 AM
I hate middle lane hoggers >:(

Mitch9128
28-03-12, 08:30 PM
Watch out for silly sods who open their passenger doors in standing traffic, oh how i laughed.

Mark_Able
28-03-12, 08:52 PM
I think just about everything was covered here. I sit in the middle of the lane if the lane is clear ahead of me, but sit to one side of my lane slightly if I'm following traffic. It's to keep myself visible in their door mirrors, but mainly so I've got an escape route, should everyone suddenly throw on the anchors in front. It can be particularly windy in places, especially when dealing with large vehicles. One thing not mentioned, is to keep double checking your speed when you leave the motorway. After a prolonged period of high speed riding, 30mph feels like walking pace. :o

Beamer
28-03-12, 08:55 PM
Watch out for silly sods who open their passenger doors in standing traffic, oh how i laughed.

And drivers opening their door when parked up !!!

:-/ :-X :-/ :-X :-/ :-X

Mark_Able
28-03-12, 09:06 PM
Arghhh we don't have a slow and fast lane on our motorways its lanes 1, 2 and 3...sorry but it drives me mad that...feeling better already :)

Totally agree Nikki. The speed limit on all three lanes is 70mph, so which is the slow lane? :D

8_ball
29-03-12, 06:02 PM

the hard shoulder :D :D

Totally agree Nikki. The speed limit on all three lanes is 70mph, so which is the slow lane? :D

Mitch9128
29-03-12, 06:38 PM
All wrong, the bike lane is lane 2.5, it's quite narrow, so easier taken at speed.

Morticia
30-03-12, 09:06 PM
Dan, if you want me to tag along with you, I'm more than happy to. We could do West Swindon to the next junction, see how it goes. I can go behind or in front. There really is nothing to it. I'm not here tomorrow, but should be back Suunday eve.

Beamer
30-03-12, 09:11 PM
Theres a few of us (me included) that havent 'done' the motorway. Ive done a couple of slip roads onto dual carriageways which are pretty much the same (well the getting 'on' bit is anyway)

We are hoping to do a bit of practice before the Wales trip though....with a few of the more experienced riders as a bit of support.
:) :) :) :) :)

Loops
30-03-12, 09:39 PM
I'm pretty comfortable on motorways now, I'm happy to help out too - ride in front or behind, whichever people need. :)

Dan505
30-03-12, 09:43 PM
Dan, if you want me to tag along with you, I'm more than happy to. We could do West Swindon to the next junction, see how it goes. I can go behind or in front. There really is nothing to it. I'm not here tomorrow, but should be back Suunday eve.
Thanks M need to get bike fully sorted before go anywhere near the motorway

mick_benson
30-03-12, 09:44 PM
i'd be happy to ride with you or anyone really give me a shout.
maybe we could do a ride out for those that need a little confidence boost on motorways
:) :)

Red Zed 1
30-03-12, 09:49 PM
any time you want a co pilot would be happy to assist,have done plenty motorway riding and am very confident in my own performance,just have to be more aware than usual due to possible higher speeds and the idiots who pull out without indicating...lane one tracks are for the trucks to follow so the drivers can have a sandwich/drink/text without fear of losing their way :) :) :o...

Dan505
31-03-12, 02:46 PM
thanks for offers guys, would appreciate the help between a couple of junctions, maybe a motorway ride in a group would make us feel safe as the cars would keep clear of group of bikes?

JayP
05-04-12, 10:59 AM
Only been riding a year but regularly commute to Cardiff on M4 (saves £6 on the bridge!). I agree with all previous advice and would add the following: if windy, you can get sudden 'gusts' by slip roads and other exposed areas; it is very noisy so ear plugs are a must; when wet, watch out for the metal expansion plates if going over the bridge to Wales - they get slippy.

Senna(Dan)
05-04-12, 11:36 AM
How about for next weeks H&C meet, we organise a motorway run for all the guys that aren't confident on the motorway. That way it is a short stint and can be quite helpful for you guys, I will be riding from Oxford to the H&C next week because of work.
What do you think?

Jon_W
05-04-12, 11:43 AM
Is a good idea. What you thinking, going between Bath and Chippenham???

Senna(Dan)
05-04-12, 11:47 AM
Was thinking Swindon to Chippenham, but I suppose that could be arranged too.

camera.op76
09-07-12, 08:55 AM
I do a lot of motorway riding to work, mostly to central London I tend to stick to lane 3, and hammer it past the cars. I was coming back from Ascot the other week, at a very brisk pace - very brisk indeed. I noticed a bike hammering it up behind me, so I went into lane 2 and slowed a little... to my surprise it was a police biker he must have been doing 140+ and stuck his thumb up and sped off. :o

newnut
09-07-12, 10:37 AM
stunts unlimited, that happened to me also when I was driving a van. lol motorways just eat ya tires so take the scenic route, avoid them at all costs!

Geordie Stu
12-07-12, 02:12 PM
1 point not touched on or I may have missed it. Filtering on the motorway. That will happen at some point on your journey. I find putting your high beam on or even keep flashing your high beam as your riding. Because some driver(s) will switch lanes & not see you.

Dan505
12-07-12, 03:07 PM
good tip Stu, i'm waiting for the weather so at this rate i'll never try the motorway :D

Crosbie
13-07-12, 03:14 PM
1 point not touched on or I may have missed it. Filtering on the motorway. That will happen at some point on your journey. I find putting your high beam on or even keep flashing your high beam as your riding. Because some driver(s) will switch lanes & not see you.

The other tip right or wrong - Filtering slow/stationary traffic particularly on motorway/dc i keep in a low gear for two reasons... the bike is noisier so gets more attention from cars etc but also as soon as you roll the throttle off you are slowing considerably helping you in situations where a car cuts across you.

Mitch9128
13-07-12, 03:21 PM
Bikers with full beam are just stupid, if i'm driving a car, the last thing i need is to be blinded by a twot on a bike. Oops sorry mate, you blinded me just before i knocked you off.

Jon_W
13-07-12, 03:27 PM
Agreed. Normal beam is plenty.

Filtering on the motorway is no different to filtering on any other road. Nice and slow and beware of doors opening, car changing lanes etc. I tend to stick in between two lanes and stay there as opposed to weaving in and out of different lanes.

Nikki
13-07-12, 03:50 PM
good tip Stu, i'm waiting for the weather so at this rate i'll never try the motorway :D

Have you thought about getting some professional training? Maybe advanced rider training or seeing if any of the bike instructors will offer a motorway session?

It's ever so easy to learn bad habits from someone who has been riding for a few years and got a bit out of date.

Geordie Stu
13-07-12, 04:11 PM

Have you thought about getting some professional training? Maybe advanced rider training or seeing if any of the bike instructors will offer a motorway session?

It's ever so easy to learn bad habits from someone who has been riding for a few years and got a bit out of date.

Give Mark Able a shout. I'm sure he'd help you out at a price [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Col
13-07-12, 11:11 PM
Bikers with full beam are just stupid, if i'm driving a car, the last thing i need is to be blinded by a twot on a bike. Oops sorry mate, you blinded me just before i knocked you off.

Totally agree Mitch :) A 'I am' type character once undertook me in lane 3--that is a no no-- then him and some other twonck had the nerve to complain about my filtering between lanes 1 and 2 saying the traffic moved onto their lane....they were then filtering poorly--total twanks--

..seem to remember them being told learn how to ride .. I'm no expert, and don't pretend to be--neither are many others = fact!!! Partly explains why accidents happen on an mway I guess.

. You get some right knob ends --you are not a racer -you are balling about and who's impressed with their 'cough' skill ---literally laughable the way some knobs reckon they can ride...so many end up being cremated or cripped it makes me wince knowing these 'exspurts' are likely to be next.

Whip them !!!!

Have a nice day :)

Dan505
13-07-12, 11:11 PM
i'm gonna give it a go as soon as i can work out how to fit my bike inside a Zorb ball and i'll be sorted :P

goz1960
13-07-12, 11:30 PM
Reading this topic makes me think maybe it should become part of the TEST (motorway riding).

Col
13-07-12, 11:48 PM
Totally correct Goz :) and for cars/vans/ ice cream vans :D

Love the one flash signal move out manoeuvre --- superb stupidity and must be responsible for quite a few terminations ::)

camera.op76
14-07-12, 08:11 AM
i'm gonna give it a go as soon as i can work out how to fit my bike inside a Zorb ball and i'll be sorted :P

the key is don't fear it! And embrace the boredom.

Mitch9128
14-07-12, 08:52 AM
It doesn't have to be boring, try closing your eyes and counting and see how long you can do it for, my mate Dave got to 30 before the accident. Personally i only do it when i'm driving the HGV, i feel safer.

Snowy
14-07-12, 09:24 AM
It doesn't have to be boring, try closing your eyes and counting and see how long you can do it for, my mate Dave got to 30 before the accident. Personally i only do it when i'm driving the HGV, i feel safer.

Can't say I find it boring, just not what I want to use my bike for if at all possible. Dull yes, boring no. If you're riding at say "progressive" speeds you need to keep your wits about you so if your bored you're also not concentrating. You have to anticipate and plan ahead much further than normal and be prepared for other vehicles doing some very daft things.

Jon_W
16-07-12, 10:08 AM
Can't say I find motorway riding boring..... I find it relaxing and actually enjoy it at times.

Swanny
17-07-12, 12:53 AM
Any long straight road is boring :)

Senna(Dan)
17-07-12, 04:43 PM
Dan,
I think you have found the best solution for riding there mate!
No more protective gear and helmets, and no more getting wet.
:D ;D :D

Geordie Stu
18-07-12, 07:55 PM

Why is it stupid? Least you've seen me coming. If you then decide to switch lanes. You got no excuse...! SMIDSY ::)

Mitch9128
18-07-12, 08:16 PM
High beam users hold a special place in my hatred along with inappropriate foglight users and middle lane crawlers. It is not safe, it doesn't help anybody and it pisses off everyone around you, it's also kind of counter productive in that you can be seen but we can't tell how far away you are. I reckon a good solicitor would beat a high beam user in court too.

cerruti
18-07-12, 08:56 PM
I rode on the motorway for the first time today - only a short run down the M4 from Bristol to Chippenham. I was a little apprehensive at first but after a couple of miles I relaxed. It was easy and not scary at all. I even overtook some stuff including other bikes ;D If I can do it, anyone can - I'm the wimpiest rider ever ;)

One thing did spring to mind though - I wish I had put some ear plugs in as riding at that constant speed for any extended period sure does give a headache from the wind noise.

Dan505
18-07-12, 09:49 PM
Well done :)
Which bike you use?

cerruti
18-07-12, 09:54 PM
I used the kwaka... I don't take the Harley out unless the roads are dry and I don't think I would want to take the Harley on the motorway, its just a bit too naked :o

The ER6f had just enough wind protection to make it a comfy ride while crusing at about 80mph (yes Im a chicken and a law-abiding citizen most of the time) ;)

Geordie Stu
18-07-12, 10:36 PM
High beam users hold a special place in my hatred along with inappropriate foglight users and middle lane crawlers. It is not safe, it doesn't help anybody and it pisses off everyone around you, it's also kind of counter productive in that you can be seen but we can't tell how far away you are. I reckon a good solicitor would beat a high beam user in court too.

Don't use high beam unless it's dark
Nor do I sit in the middle, use fog light inappropriately

If I do use the motorway & find myself having to filter. Then I use high beam. Then if you then switch lanes & SMIDSY. Just hope you have got a good solicitor ::)

Mitch9128
19-07-12, 07:09 AM
Inconsiderate to other road users and selfish, If you're really that scared of getting knocked off when out on a bike, put it away and get on a bus.

Jon_W
19-07-12, 07:44 AM
I rode on the motorway for the first time today - only a short run down the M4 from Bristol to Chippenham. I was a little apprehensive at first but after a couple of miles I relaxed. It was easy and not scary at all. I even overtook some stuff including other bikes ;D If I can do it, anyone can - I'm the wimpiest rider ever ;)

One thing did spring to mind though - I wish I had put some ear plugs in as riding at that constant speed for any extended period sure does give a headache from the wind noise.

Nice one!!! Glad you got on a had a go.... isn't that scary.

Yes, the tinnitus after a long motorway ride is annoying!!!!

Does your ER6 have a fly screen??? I fitted one to the GS and that made an appreciable difference to the wind blast.

Geordie Stu
19-07-12, 02:14 PM
Inconsiderate to other road users and selfish, If you're really that scared of getting knocked off when out on a bike, put it away and get on a bus.

How am I being inconsiderate by letting people know I'm there..? Not scared of being knocked, just don't want it to happen & that means flashing my lights to make people aware of that I'm here then so be it.

The current Highway Code is clear and unambiguous about the use of flashing headlights; Rule 110 states:

'Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.' ::)

A flash before overtaking might attract a two-fingered gesture from the driver ahead :P, but at least you will know he's seen you.

Perhaps if you get so annoyed by my actions then "Get the Bus" ::)

Mitch9128
19-07-12, 02:20 PM
Riding with high beam will blind other road users, it's not rocket science.

Geordie Stu
19-07-12, 02:24 PM
Riding with high beam will blind other road users, it's not rocket science.

I agree with you. Didn't say I was riding with high all the time, merely while filtering on motorways or "flashing high beam"

Dan505
19-07-12, 03:18 PM
:-X to flash or not to flash :-X

Geordie Stu
19-07-12, 03:32 PM

Yeah Man 8-) ;)

Mitch9128
19-07-12, 03:44 PM
Why do you use high beam whilst filtering? Do you think there is more chance of being seen?

It's a fact that when you ride on high beam, motorists cannot judge how far away you are. So whilst you are pootling down on high beam, the car driver has a split second to make a judgement whether to dash for that gap in the other lane...kerblam. I think you'd be seriously lucky to get 100% in your favour if it went to court too.

Jon_W
19-07-12, 03:46 PM
;D ;D ;D

That's up to you..... but don't blind the cars and only do it when filtering!!!!! :o :D

Geordie Stu
19-07-12, 04:05 PM
Why do you use high beam whilst filtering? Yes Do you think there is more chance of being seen? Yes. I'm still here to write about it

It's a fact that when you ride on high beam, motorists cannot judge how far away you are. .

We agree to disagree on this. Where does it state the fact you have quoted, do you have evidence to back the fact.

Riding on motorway is not a regular event. However, on the rare occassion I do & should I find myself having to filter then I shall continue to flash ::) "Headlight"

Crosbie
19-07-12, 04:23 PM
Slightly off topic but still on the topic of high beam - what do you all do when your riding home in winter (assuming your still using your bike at this time of year like me) along country roads with no one else about. you may or may not have full beam on and then BAM a car comes round the corner and either takes an eternity to switch to low beam or doesnt do it at all (particulary when on a bend). I find this really off putting and do get quite pizzy about it. Regardless of whether i had been riding with mine on it goes back on and stays on and stays on. >:( Why oh why is the class of drivers so different to the class of riders generally when it comes to being courteous?!

Geordie Stu
19-07-12, 04:37 PM
Slightly off topic but still on the topic of high beam - what do you all do when your riding home in winter (assuming your still using your bike at this time of year like me) along country roads with no one else about. you may or may not have full beam on and then BAM a car comes round the corner and either takes an eternity to switch to low beam or doesnt do it at all (particulary when on a bend). I find this really off putting and do get quite pizzy about it. Regardless of whether i had been riding with mine on it goes back on and stays on and stays on. >:( Why oh why is the class of drivers so different to the class of riders generally when it comes to being courteous?!

Personally, I would have dipped my lights whether in the car or not & then flicked high beam back on. I suppose it's no more different than a driver having rear fog light on when it's not foggy.

Mitch9128
19-07-12, 04:48 PM
Why do you use high beam whilst filtering? Yes Do you think there is more chance of being seen? Yes. I'm still here to write about it

It's a fact that when you ride on high beam, motorists cannot judge how far away you are. .

We agree to disagree on this. Where does it state the fact you have quoted, do you have evidence to back the fact.

Riding on motorway is not a regular event. However, on the rare occassion I do & should I find myself having to filter then I shall continue to flash ::) "Headlight"

Google it, there's enough info on the net, it's not my opinion.

Geordie Stu
19-07-12, 05:02 PM
As I said we agree to disagree having read this article (See Link)
http://www.allaboutbikes.com/feature-articles/opinion-columnists/4398-motorcycle-ettiquette-always-use-your-high-beams.

Mitch9128
19-07-12, 05:43 PM
As I said we agree to disagree having read this article (See Link)
http://www.allaboutbikes.com/feature-articles/opinion-columnists/4398-motorcycle-ettiquette-always-use-your-high-beams.

It's an American article, they all ride on full beam in daylight over there.

Gamer
07-08-12, 11:13 PM
High beam users hold a special place in my hatred along with inappropriate fog light users and middle lane crawlers. It is not safe, it doesn't help anybody and it pisses off everyone around you, it's also kind of counter productive in that you can be seen but we can't tell how far away you are. I reckon a good solicitor would beat a high beam user in court too.

High beam/ fog light users are not respecting others on the road.

I will putt all thinking together in points:

1. Earplugs - research proves constant loud noise can harm your ears 8-)
2. Wind protection - prolonged 70mph+ might get you cold
3. Predict weather if possible (wind, rain, sun in your visor...)
4. Keep to your speed and change lanes when needed
a. Lifesavers, lifesavers and once more lifesavers.
b. I found it while going "faster" mirrors are enough, but check them frequently
5. Filtering only between fastest line and middle lane i.e. On M4 3 lanes so use 2-3, on M25 4 lanes use 3-4. Remember to stay on lower gear for longer than usual in need for sudden power or engine breaking.
a. Fast traffic filtering (above 50mph) - try not to. It is fun, but very risky one.
b. Stationary or up to 20mph I use hazards and sometimes revs as Bandit is a quiet bike. Remember not to rev when passing between cars as you can scare unprepared driver/passenger (heart attack ready :D)
c. Try looking for signs of drivers moving heads indicating to you they about to change lane. It's difficult, but gives some warning if spotted.
6. Always say thanks to drivers that moves out of way. Hand up, thumb up or head nod.
7. Do not shout on these who makes your filtering difficult, they might have been looking where is beginning of that traffic jam and not see you (excluding these difficult, thick and boorish, twats lol - sorry for language)

Feel free to add/remove as I hope some will find it useful.
Sorry if this looks like small book lol

goz1960
08-08-12, 07:58 AM
My lord this is going on, just do it?.

cerruti
08-08-12, 08:31 AM
Agree... Not sure I understand what all the fuss is about tbh, I just got on and did it.

But I have had many years experience of motorway driving in a car which I'm sure helped.

Geordie Stu
08-08-12, 10:00 AM
Prolonged Motorway Driving / Riding is boring. I think we all agree on that. While riding I very rarely use Motorways, there's nothing wrong with it, just need to keep your wits about you especially when filtering......

Jon_W
08-08-12, 12:52 PM
Agree... Not sure I understand what all the fuss is about tbh, I just got on and did it.

But I have had many years experience of motorway driving in a car which I'm sure helped.

Ditto. No fuss really... more dull than anything else.

Swanny
08-08-12, 01:28 PM
Yea boring, best avoided

Dan505
09-08-12, 08:33 PM

Size of the bike might have something to do with it...
Thanks for advice guys

camera.op76
09-08-12, 08:54 PM
a. Fast traffic filtering (above 50mph) - try not to. It is fun, but very risky one. <----- takes the boredom out and it helps you get to get the funk away from the cars!