PDA

View Full Version : Carrying a fishing rod.

pluggedinpete
18-08-12, 05:26 PM
This question goes out to all the fishermen here...

How do i fix a fishing rod and landing net handle to my XL125? Is there sommat i could buy (fishing shop sites are not helpful) or is there a home made solution?

silly_simon
18-08-12, 06:01 PM
Not advisable But you could try bungee's down one side and use the frame etc to mount it :o

NoYou
18-08-12, 07:31 PM
Doesn't sound like a good idea to me tbh. And short of tying it on i can't think of any way to do it tbh

goz1960
18-08-12, 08:06 PM
Sounds like a silly idea to me.

Rabb
18-08-12, 10:42 PM
Don't do it - you'd be pulled by the boys & girls in blue

Swanny
19-08-12, 12:20 AM
They don't wear blue any more, it's now the boys and girls in black.

You could try using a crab line?? :)

Rabb
19-08-12, 01:24 AM
They don't wear blue any more, it's now the boys and girls in black.

You could try using a crab line?? :)

Sorry - I'm colour blind

The hooks on crab lines are vicious

Scotty
19-08-12, 08:06 AM
It's not difficult to do really. I was really big into fishing in my teens, at least until bikes and girls took over as primary interests... My dad was quite resourceful and figured out that modifying my Fizzy to carry all my kit would result in no more "Dad, can I have a lift to..." requests.
The Fizzy had a small rack on the back with a wee grab rail (not that I needed anything for passengers at the time) - he cut the grab rail off so that the whole rack was flush with the seat so my basket could be bungeed on lengthways. He also bolted a short length of aluminium tube across he bike beneath the front of the tank to rest my rod holdall on, it being bungeed on there and to the bottom of the rack so I had to ride with my left leg over it - wasn't uncomfortable or dangerous and gave me even more freedom and independence.
Just strapping a rod and landing net pole to the side of your bike will be easy, make sure that it doesn't affect turning the forks at all. 8-)

pluggedinpete
19-08-12, 10:54 AM
I saw some photos on an american forum where someone had made a bracket under his left exhaust with a rod tube, i suppose i could investgate sommat like that... I'm guessing that theres nothing commercial available!

Looks like bikers aren't generally fishermen then? Lol

I dont have issues carrying the rod on my pushbikes, the only issue there being practical range... If i wanted to go fishing to, lets say, shearwater or somehere further than that, the time and effort involved makes it impractcal.

Looks like i might have to ask on a fishing forum!

camera.op76
19-08-12, 01:23 PM
This question goes out to all the fishermen here...

How do i fix a fishing rod and landing net handle to my XL125? Is there sommat i could buy (fishing shop sites are not helpful) or is there a home made solution?

Whats 'sommat?'

Rabb
19-08-12, 02:51 PM
I saw some photos on an american forum where someone had made a bracket under his left exhaust with a rod tube, i suppose i could investgate sommat like that... I'm guessing that theres nothing commercial available!

Looks like bikers aren't generally fishermen then? Lol

I dont have issues carrying the rod on my pushbikes, the only issue there being practical range... If i wanted to go fishing to, lets say, shearwater or somehere further than that, the time and effort involved makes it impractcal.

I'm quite a patient person however when I last tried fishing it was for about an hour.
Got bored, went home. Sorry not for me.
Now fly fishing is a different matter (especially if you are in the water) - this for me I think might be a bit more interesting
Looks like i might have to ask on a fishing forum!

mick_benson
19-08-12, 07:19 PM
telescopic rod???
works for me ;D

pluggedinpete
19-08-12, 07:19 PM
Whats 'sommat?'

Not originally from Wiltshire then? lol

pluggedinpete
19-08-12, 07:20 PM
telescopic rod???
works for me ;D

Looking at those, but one that's long enough (10 ft plus) packs down too long to go in my bag.... Am considering some sort connection to my box bracket

mick_benson
19-08-12, 07:23 PM
TBH would be very easy to rig something up on your bike for this, but i have seen (and got) telescopic rod's longer than my 2 or 3 piece rod's.

mick_benson
19-08-12, 07:29 PM
maybe able to help you with this if your stuck

pluggedinpete
19-08-12, 07:54 PM
Cheers dude, I've got at least one Idea, but I'd be grateful if that doesnt work!

mick_benson
19-08-12, 08:02 PM
no worries, give me a shout

vinny
19-08-12, 08:44 PM
got one of the telescopic rods for a canal boat weekend away with the youngster from B and m homestores was £12 for the kit its about a foot long extends to 6ft had my doubts for £12 abd not really in to fishing was more for the experince for my 2 year old heres the beauty in action :o

pluggedinpete
19-08-12, 09:20 PM
Looked at those too, but the fish in the lakes ive been looking at would die of laughter! Lol!

Wes
19-08-12, 09:44 PM
You could always invest in a rod holdall, these always come with an across the chest(diagonally) strap, you can get them in rigid tube type or material, small enough to carry just one rod with a bit of room for the landing net handle and banksticks.
Shearwater main lake is a superb fishery, just wouldn't fancy carrying all my kit on the blade :o

vinny
20-08-12, 12:07 PM
Looked at those too, but the fish in the lakes ive been looking at would die of laughter! Lol!

yes i was dreading catching a real fish but for the money i was suprised how good it was,

vinny
20-08-12, 12:11 PM
sure you could make something from some drainage pipe its cheap stuff and they do screw on caps for it aswell you can get it cheaper but heres the idea its about 110mm in diameter
http://www.screwfix.com/p/single-socket-soil-pipe-black-3m/49565
glue on the bottom end
http://www.screwfix.com/p/black-socket-plug-sp296/46863
screw on cap for other end
http://www.screwfix.com/p/black-screw-on-end-cap-sp292/22628

pluggedinpete
24-08-12, 10:53 PM
Cheers for the help folks, my issues are near to being solved, courtesy of Ebay and a shimano travel rod.

mick_benson
25-08-12, 07:57 AM
sounds like we should do a fishing trip soon then, on bikes :-)

goz1960
25-08-12, 08:37 AM
Dont think mine would float to well?.

mick_benson
25-08-12, 11:07 AM
not quite what i ment

goz1960
25-08-12, 12:42 PM
Oh well I thought it was funny ::)

Wes
25-08-12, 04:56 PM
Oh well I thought it was funny ::)