PDA

View Full Version : Lumpy ride

Conehead
13-09-12, 06:56 PM
Had a carb problem that required the choke being on at low revs to stop it stalling. Stripped carbs and would only ride normally on Prime position. Stripped carbs again and fully cleaned them again, checked air filter is clean, checked all lines and all correct, stripped fuel tap and confirmed as clean. Started it and it shot to 5000rpm and stayed there. Gave up till next day to sort but on starting it, it seems to have sorted itself out. Messed with tickover and now idles a treat and revs spot on.

However, went for a ride and all was perfect until I did about 12 miles then the power started going lumpy between 4-5. From there only got worse at high revs affecting anything above 3.5. By the time I got back home, another 12 miles back it was happening all through the revs.

Has anyone got any ideas as all I can think of are the plugs but could that happen that quickly? Also, I dont really want to do the carbs a third time in one week.

Conehead
13-09-12, 06:59 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention that the revs are still spot on (idles well and revs well) and the problem only happens when moving.

It is a Triumph Daytona 1000 (Hinckley).

Dan505
13-09-12, 09:37 PM
If idling ok i would look at the gearing, is it slipping? However i'm no expert

Mitch9128
13-09-12, 09:45 PM
Could still be carbs, pilot jets sound fine, but mains clogged?

Jon_W
14-09-12, 09:19 AM
Check the float levels.

Failing that, it could be a split in the air intake, or the seal on the throttle slide piston is shot.

Conehead
14-09-12, 11:55 AM
Cheers guys, Bike did 50 miles in the last two years prior to me buying it so will flush the tank, strip and reclean carbs. Will check air intakes and floats whilst doing the above. If you have any other ideas let me know otherwise I will let you know if this works. Have a young family so might be a few days before I get round to it though.

Conehead
14-09-12, 11:57 AM
Dan505, sorry did not forget your reply ::) ::) ::)

Gearing is fine. Cheers for the thought anyway

Dan505
14-09-12, 01:04 PM
no drama, i just throw the ideas in there, when you first said lumpy ride i initally thought new seat or bumpy tyres.... :D

Conehead
14-09-12, 06:18 PM
I learnt from the flintstones that wheels are round, cheers. ;D ;D ;D ;D

8_ball
17-09-12, 10:16 AM
had the same problem with mine, its normaly the idle air value, (looks like a heart with loads of tubes going in it) its a 2 min job take it off and spray with some carb cleaner in side.
Also if the bike has been stood for a few years it would be wise to take the plugs out and change and you'll find that number 1 or 3 cylinder plug will be oil fouled !!!
Its norm for these beasties, and as a bike they dont like going slow so tend to be lumby.
hope this helps

Conehead
20-09-12, 07:34 PM
Had to take it in to the pros who say I should get it back tomorrow.

Anyway the problems :

Carbs needed full strip and clean
Carb sliders incorrectly set (previous owner)
Carbs needed balancing
Ignition partly fried
New plugs
Coils fried

Fingers crossed for tomorrow as I am really looking forward to Sundays rideout.