PDA

View Full Version : Tyre pressures?

redken1
05-08-12, 06:14 PM
This may seem like a stupid question, but I’ve never given it much thought before - usually travel light.

Set-up all the oxford luggage, tent etc on the bike today in preparation for my forthcoming Scotland trip with Daddy Cool.

In the Fazer handbook there are 2 tyre settings - one for a pillion and one for solo riding. Well, in terms of additional weight to solo riding I estimate I’m carrying 25-30 kilos extra, less than half the weight of an average pillion. We will be riding on some demanding twisties through the Scottish mountains. Should I split the difference between the two tyre pressures stated?

Thanks in anticipation.
Ken

Snowy
05-08-12, 06:35 PM
This may seem like a stupid question, but I’ve never given it much thought before - usually travel light.

Set-up all the oxford luggage, tent etc on the bike today in preparation for my forthcoming Scotland trip with Daddy Cool.

In the Fazer handbook there are 2 tyre settings - one for a pillion and one for solo riding. Well, in terms of additional weight to solo riding I estimate I’m carrying 25-30 kilos extra, less than half the weight of an average pillion. We will be riding on some demanding twisties through the Scottish mountains. Should I split the difference between the two tyre pressures stated?

Thanks in anticipation.
Ken

36/42.....psi.....front/rear - I would guess is your pillion setting? I would I run with that when carrying gear.

redken1
05-08-12, 06:55 PM

Thanks in anticipation.
Ken

36/42.....psi.....front/rear - I would guess is your pillion setting? I would I run with that when carrying gear.

Ye that sounds about right Graeme - will check book again on day. Cheers. I suppose I can always let a bit of air out if the handling doesn't feel right. Just thought full pillion pressure might be too much.

Snowy
05-08-12, 07:38 PM
Will be fine 36/42 Ken - I usually leave it at that whatever weight I'm carrying and can't tell the difference usually.

Jon_W
07-08-12, 07:53 AM
I leave mine on solo settings for carrying luggage.

Kevinb
08-08-12, 01:51 PM
I have had mine set as if I'm carrying a pillion for the last five years. If I'm on it on my own I'm about 300lb so good job when my wife is on the back as well she is quite small/light.

camera.op76
26-09-12, 11:31 AM
Always a good idea, hadm 6PSi in the rear, and 11PSi in the front - no wonder it cornered like I was riding a toaster!

Senna(Dan)
27-09-12, 07:23 AM
I ride the XJ6 with pillion pressures because I am usually carrying loads of kit about on it.

Stuntsunlimited: You bad man!

Geordie Stu
28-09-12, 10:28 AM

;D ;D ;D Stupid question from you Ken? ::) ::) & Travel Light ;D ;D ;D

Goldie
02-10-12, 03:50 PM
****, I really should check mine sometime :-?

Dan505
03-10-12, 10:12 AM
don't worry Goldie, the way you corner upright, you could ride on rims :)

Swanny
03-10-12, 11:04 AM
Hehe you've seen her ride as well then ;D

Goldie
08-10-12, 02:25 PM
rearrange this well known phrase...

Off piss!

Dan505
08-10-12, 03:09 PM
sip fofs?