PDA

View Full Version : Aprillia RSV1000R - Feckin thing

camera.op76
27-09-12, 09:57 AM
hello, my battery keeps dying on me, even with a full charge it doesn't last. when I charge it, its ok. Then dies after a few starts. I did notice a LOT of condensation in the clocks. I'm wondering if this can case a short and drain the battery?

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Jon_W
27-09-12, 10:17 AM
Sounds like the regulator or recifier isn't working properly.

Check the voltage on the battery with the engine running. It shoud be around 14V. Any lower and it's probably not charging, any higher and it's over charging and wrecking the battery.

camera.op76
27-09-12, 10:58 AM
Sounds like the regulator or recifier isn't working properly.

Check the voltage on the battery with the engine running. It shoud be around 14V. Any lower and it's probably not charging, any higher and it's over charging and wrecking the battery.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhwwwwwwwh I thought it was gonna be a cheap fix!

Thanks for your help! :)

Dan505
27-09-12, 12:07 PM
either that or the alternator isn't returning a charge, bad earth, cold weather draining the batt if stood for a long time, check the condition of the cables, i had damp in mine (had a green tinge to the wire) and caused havoc with mine

NoYou
27-09-12, 12:50 PM
14.6v for a healthy charge and that should be across the whole rev range. I have a charging system fault finding guide somewhere.will dig other out for you later :)

camera.op76
27-09-12, 08:37 PM
If you could that will be great! it fluctuates between 11.9 and 12.0 at the moment. But its now smoking intermittently from underneath the tank! :/

BB
27-09-12, 08:50 PM
If you could that will be great! it fluctuates between 11.9 and 12.0 at the moment. But its now smoking intermittently from underneath the tank! :/

Smoking? not good....

BB

Dan505
27-09-12, 09:07 PM
Melted wiring perhaps?

njl
27-09-12, 09:16 PM
There is a 5 pin connector which has the 3 outputs from the alternator plus a crank sensor output, they get corroded and can get hot and melt. Some have done without the connector altogether and hard wired it out. I imagine if you split it you will find some of the connections looking worse for wear.

njl
27-09-12, 09:25 PM
http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac189/nickl2/burntwireharness.jpg

I have pinched this pic to illustrate, but gives you the idea

The connectors between harness and reg rec are also less than great, but more near the tail unit

NoYou
27-09-12, 10:22 PM
well no need for a fault finding guide! just follow the smoke xD
Heres the guide :] http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/library/diagnosis/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

Jon_W
28-09-12, 07:43 AM
11.9 - 12V is no charge..... But as G3o says.... follow the smoke.

Gooz
28-09-12, 08:42 AM
Its the Karma train biting your ass........... one week filming ass............ next week your bikes fecked ! pmsl :D

camera.op76
28-09-12, 09:04 AM
Its the Karma train biting your ass........... one week filming ass............ next week your bikes fecked ! pmsl :D

I think your onto something there... When the floor manager said we want lots ot t*ts, tw@ts and ass for the closing VT... it didn't help when I stated shall I just go and film in the production truck... plenty of them in there! ;D

Gooz
28-09-12, 09:37 AM
OOPs, had the same scenario out in Moscow recently on a certain 50 year olds MDNA tour.......... shouting at the prod manager let me know when your turn on stage is and Ill buy a ticket to come and watch you f'in diva, .........probably wasnt the best career move lol :'(

camera.op76
28-09-12, 10:56 AM
thanks very much for the help and insight guys, I'm just giving my battery a full charge see what happens then. It smokes intermitently the smoke is blue and had no odor... it does it for about 2 seconds then goes as quickly as it came, and might not come back... really odd...

Gooz production managers are the worst. I like them when they are giving me work. I was camera supervisor on some cage fighting for Channel five a couple of weeks ago.. I was treated like a god! Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii want more of those jobs! :D

www.camerabook.tv

Dan505
28-09-12, 03:16 PM
blue smoke is normally oil, changed it recently, some may have spilled on to the engine and is smoking when engine gets hot, failing that you may have a leak

jonneyflame
03-10-12, 11:56 AM
be carefull not to turn it over too much as this can mess the Sprag clutch up, just another one of the fantastic things about owning one of these bikes lol

Also look at getting the upgraded battery ttz14s-bs (i thinki) i bought 2 (ebay) cheap ones before i got mine, the amps per hour on the cheaper ones are only around 10, the upgraded ones are between 12 and 14 theres loads of stuff on it on RSVZONE

lizand
03-10-12, 06:46 PM
If it's an intermittent fault take it to Biketreads in Swindon and they will TOTALLY **** it!! ;D

camera.op76
03-10-12, 07:20 PM
Thanks everyone for the help and advice. The smoke looks like its coming from the valve cover gasket - it's bubbling and some oily deposits leaking and running down the head. Replaced the regulator. Still doesn't seem to hold its charge. It keeps fluctuating between 11.6 and 12.2 so feck knows. >:(

Rabb
03-10-12, 07:45 PM
Sounds like the battery might be shot if it's only getting to that voltage.
I would change the battery-it might solve the problem.

I have lots of experience with all types of batteries (you name it and I've used it, repaired it or charged it)

Before you change the battery try cleaning up the contact posts on it and then re-sit the terminals on the posts - it could well be a crappy connection

Gooz
03-10-12, 10:03 PM
spray the **** out of the generator/stator with Wd40 the start the crappy task of cleaning up all the contacts, also try a small squirt in the kill switch, Ive had that before now on a suzuki i used to ride in the wet.................if all else fails.................KICK IT!

camera.op76
23-10-12, 08:40 AM
Thanks for all the help and advice... the stator was shot. Apparently this is common after 20k miles.

NiteW4tcher
26-10-12, 07:05 PM
Thanks for all the help and advice... the stator was shot. Apparently this is common after 20k miles.

my gsxr blew its stator @ 30k took out the reg/rec with it too i bought a 2nd hand reg/rec.........5k later that blew too :D

thats when i took it off road to start the total re-build