PDA

View Full Version : Motorbike Servicing in Wootton Bassett

MayallRob
10-11-12, 08:57 PM
Hey guys,

I'm having some problems with my bike chain and was looking at having my bike serviced. I know there are plenty to choose from in the Swindon area, but somebody from WB's once mentioned to my mum (who works in Chippenham) that there is a guy that does good bike servicing in Wootton Bassett. Does anybody know of any good places I could go?

For anybody that is curious, the bike is a '98 Kawasaki ER-5 (my first bike) and every 2-3 months the chain becomes a bit too slack, and it hangs down whilst riding and rubs against the swingarm making a horrible clunking sound. Usually I just tighten the chain (leaving it an inch or so slack) and carry on. However, this time the chain seems to be completely knackered. Even if I set it up so that it is at its tightest and I daren't tighten it any more, if i turn the back wheel a few times there is a loose spot in the chain that still hangs slack. I've seen a chain and sprocket set costs about £90+, but I dont have the balls to fit it myself! I'd much rather get it all checked out by a pro and make sure I havent done any damage.

Thanks for any help guys!

Dan505
10-11-12, 11:21 PM
every chain stretches with use and eventually reaches the end of it's usefulness at some point.

changing the sprockets is the second easiest thing i did on mine, only thing easier is brake pads IMHO.

Ask Street Hippo, he knows an ex liney out RWB who does bikes, failing that try Steve Lynham in Swindon, good service

Goldie
11-11-12, 09:53 AM
Hi Rob.
All my bike services are done by fellow WBer bobtheimp at anarchy motorcycles in calne. He is brilliant & doesn't bull****. His prices are very cheap too. Highly recommended.

NiteW4tcher
11-11-12, 10:02 AM
cannot recommend anyone in your area as im not from there.

but yeah your chain is bolloxed :D

im sure you wouldn't have damaged anything that cant be put right (new sprockets and chain)

Mitch9128
11-11-12, 10:51 AM
Cridge autos on Whitehill ind est. Paul is a top mech, trust him with my cars and all my bikes, tell him Nick sent you.

MayallRob
11-11-12, 11:05 AM
Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to get in touch with Cridge Autos in Wootton Bassett and see what they can do for me :)

Rabb
11-11-12, 11:08 AM
Do it yourself - it's relatively easy.

Get a chain & sprocket kit on-line (it can be cheaper)
Get the best quality you can afford (X ring DID & JT Sprockets are good; go for steel sprockets as they are the strongest ; don't be tempted by lightweight race ones - they won't last!)
Remember this is the biggest influence on smoothness of ride, acceleration & power transfer.

Other things you'll need :-
Torque wrench.
Spanners for removal of nuts & bolts.
Something to cut the chain off with.
Rear paddock stand.
Lube.
A mate to help with front sprocket removal.

Tip - Don't be tempted to cut the chain off before you remove the front sprocket - you'll have nothing to work against when loosening the front sprocket!!!

That's all you need - it's pretty easy really
Get a Haynes manual for your bike - it's easy to do it yourself!

Loops
11-11-12, 02:56 PM
Even I managed to change a chain! It really is easy as there isn't much that can go wrong with a chain and two sprockets. Just make sure you tighten everything up afterwards and sit back in the warm glow of a job well done :)

bobf279
13-11-12, 12:02 AM
I managed to do my chain and sprockets myself, loosened the front sprocket leaning across the bike stood on the rear brake obviously before removing the chain. I saw this method on a youtube video. I got a chain rivetter free when I bought the chain and sprocket kit and cut the chain off with a dremel.

Made a huge difference to the bike.

Senna(Dan)
13-11-12, 08:46 AM
Robbie are you check your chain often enough?

The way it is worded sounds like you are checking every 2-3 months! If that is the case it has probably to wear your chain out sooner than expected.

I do mine weekly to make sure it hasn't gone too slack and it has got 16,000 niles on it in 3 years and will probably do another 3000 miles before it needs changing. An ER-5 chain should last a while before it goes, I know my GS500 lasted 18000 before it went.

Beamer might be able to tell you more regarding chainlife as she owns an ER-5 and will have more knowledge than me.

MayallRob
17-11-12, 03:03 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure I've found out what the problem was (and it's kinda embarrassing).

Turns out my chain was just really dirty. It was caked in a thick black tar-like substance. I don't know whether it was dirt, grease, oil or whatever, but its all been cleaned now. I used WD40 the previous night and today I used some grease-remover and some chain lubricant.

And so after months of owning my first motorbike and weeks of having to endure a terrible clunking sound whilst riding, I finally learnt the importance of regular chain maintenance.

Guess I'm going to have to start checking my chain every week / fortnight as Senna suggested. I'd best get checking my oil levels while I'm at it...

MayallRob
17-11-12, 03:06 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention; the clunking sound was made because the links in the chain were so caked in the dirt that they had almost seized up and weren't rotating freely, so you can imagine how much it would have struggled to try and get around the sprockets...

Loops
17-11-12, 04:54 PM
It's all a learning experience - you won't forget to check it now! 8-)

Wes
17-11-12, 06:14 PM
Looks pretty knacked mate, personally i always go for renthal sprockets, and a lightweight rear sprocket always looks the business, i fitted a steel rear sprocket and within 6 months (over winter) it looked like i found it washed up on the beach it was that rough looking, never again.

Rabb
17-11-12, 09:07 PM
My chain is cleaned thoroughly and re- lubed religiously every week (I do so many miles that I have to) Every week it looks like new (Gleaming)

Believe me you don't want a broken chain diving into your rear wheel at 70mph - it tends to kill you. That's why I am so structured about it.

My new DID X Ring chain has now done 6000 miles and it looks new (and never needs adjustment either because I look after it so well)

In fact I believe I might be able to get 20000 miles out of it?!

P.S. Sorry Wes I wouldn't advise lightweight Renthals - too soft (they'll be shot in a very short period of time) - I was speaking with someone recently who only got a couple of thousand miles out of them!

Dan505
18-11-12, 01:12 PM
Robbie, don't use WD40 if you have O-ring chain as they are pre-packed with grease and sealed at manufacter but the WD40 will penetrate and dry the rings out an knacker them

Can't believe no one else mentioned that.... :o

Mitch9128
19-11-12, 09:20 AM
No-one mentioned it, because it's bollocks Dan.

Dan505
19-11-12, 10:18 AM
how come everyone i've spoke to about chains, mechs, instructors & riders all say the same thing?

heard it from at least 7 different people

Mitch9128
19-11-12, 10:52 AM
Because they talk bollocks too? Urban myths are just that, and have a nasty habit of spreading. Google is your friend, O rings are not affected by WD40.

Dan505
19-11-12, 12:55 PM
google cleary doesn't like me as a friend as i got mixed answers.....oh well i'll stick to what i'm already doing.

Robbie, let us know how you get on, be interesting (for me) to see if the WD40 affects your chain or not.

Mitch9128
19-11-12, 01:16 PM
The argument is that the wd40 destroys O rings, the fact it would eat the grease isn't in question, of course it would, but a chain with good O rings wouldn't let wd40 past them to get at the grease anyway. The makers and plenty of people have tested this theory, and no it doesn't destroy seals, if anything it might swell them slightly, increasing the seal.

Dan505
19-11-12, 03:09 PM
so there is a chance if the o-rings are no good that it would get past them?

either way i won't use it, i use rock oil on mine, do you use WD40 on yours?

Mitch9128
19-11-12, 03:18 PM
It's to clean a chain, not lube it, i use wd40 wherever i need to get rid of grease, wheel rims, swingarm etc. If the O ring is cacked the grease is coming out anyway, that's the point, if your O rings are good, it's fine, if they are nacked it doesn't matter either way. Still you are not soaking the whole chain in a bucket of it, just spray on, brush off.

Dan505
19-11-12, 08:03 PM
Fair enough, thanks