PDA

View Full Version : non starting

Red Zed 1
13-01-13, 12:36 PM
need to consult a wiring diagram,but thought i would ask anyway..
gpz1100 on 'n'reg '95,ignition on,dash lights up,press the starter button,nothing happens..has been doing it on and off for some months..got around it in the past by repeatedly switching on and off the ignition and kill switch to get it started(probably got lucky),this however has not worked today..i suspect ignition switch but any thoughts would be greatly received..

Rabb
13-01-13, 02:38 PM
Check wiring on kill switch - sometimes water gets in and bridges across
Does it only happen when it's got wet?

Red Zed 1
13-01-13, 06:25 PM
had a look at the electrics when i got home this pm,,kill switch is ok as is the starter/ignition switch and i seem to have feeds where i need them from ignition and fusebox..what i did find was corrosion to the terminals on the ic ignitor and when cleaned there was a clicking/buzzing from the fusebox..the engine now turns over but wont start,(buzzing continues when cranking)battery is starting to go flat so will need to recharge before trying again,fuel supply ok and new plugs/air filter,think there is still an electrical problem somewhere(was running fine last week!!)further diagnosis required..btw,weather conditions didnt seem to be relevant..thanks..

Jon_W
13-01-13, 09:58 PM
Check the ignition switch, this has both the ignition and the starter circuits going through it and you mentioned repeated switching. I'd check the connections there and at the point where the battery current is distributed.

wheelers
20-01-13, 07:52 PM
cross a screwdriver across the solenoid terminals, the big ones from battery and to starter. if it turns the starter its the solenoid thats gone, on a bike of that age it could be the starter motor failing, brushes or windings. hth

Red Zed 1
26-01-13, 08:35 PM
finally got to the bottom of the starting issue today..used wiring diagram to trace where all wires went,feeds,earths etc..turns out the clutch bypass switch is faulty,seems the repeated switching i was doing in the past was a red herring..bypassed the switch,bike starts every time..
thanks to all for advice :) :)