PDA

View Full Version : garage lighting

NiteW4tcher
01-12-12, 04:31 PM
hey guys and gals

id like your suggestions on the best way of getting adequate lighting into my garage.

the garage is rented from a housing company, it has no power of its own and im very limited to being able to modify the garage.

with the nights being long and dark i need a feasible way of getting some lighting in there.

obviously i could buy a generator but its under flats ect and id rather not piss the locals off having a genny running all time :-/

knowing the area its in id probably be missing a garage door and bike by the morning!!

im thinking high powered torches ...or is there someway i can rig something to run off of a few car batterys?

throw your ideas in the pot please

thanks

Dan

Swanny
01-12-12, 04:48 PM
You can get some very good LED flood lights that are cheap to run

NiteW4tcher
01-12-12, 04:51 PM
You can get some very good LED flood lights that are cheap to run

battery powered?

Swanny
02-12-12, 12:59 AM
Yea I saw some in tool hire shop
Have a look on the screwfix site they may have some

NiteW4tcher
02-12-12, 11:32 AM
cool had a hunt about and your right there are some pretty decent lights

Mitch9128
02-12-12, 02:09 PM
Have a look at the cree floods on Ebay, i have some cree xml t6 single lights and they are awesome, imagine the flood light ones would be great running off a car battery.

thespirit3
09-01-13, 10:14 AM
Before I ran mains to my garage I used a 12V gel cell battery (or, you could use a spare motorcycle or car battery) and a 12V florescent tube with bayonet fitting hung from the ceiling. The bayonet fitting means a standard 240V lamp base/holder can be used - search ebay for "12V 20 Watt DC Fluorescent Bayonet" to see the type of light I mean :)

Assume current of about 2A for one light. So, a 20AH motorcycle battery would theoretically power it constantly for 10 hours. However, in reality you should never fully discharge the battery - so I'd charge it after 5 hours of use (or carry the battery with you and leave on charge whenever not in use).

Alternatively, as others have suggested, LED lighting may be a good option. Again, I'd get a 12V solution and run it from a spare motorcyle/car battery.

jonnydangerous
11-01-13, 12:14 PM
hello mate! you can use a car battery, and on Ebay, there are LED headlamp bulbs! H7 H1 etc.......
thats the way id go......cheap as chips :-)

p.s. hows my CDI repair, still going????.......hope so!!!

Conehead
11-01-13, 03:44 PM
Candle power works if you dont need to see much and you dont mind the fire risk.

NiteW4tcher
23-01-13, 06:28 PM
hello mate! you can use a car battery, and on Ebay, there are LED headlamp bulbs! H7 H1 etc.......
thats the way id go......cheap as chips :-)

p.s. hows my CDI repair, still going????.......hope so!!!

hey dude

your repair is still holding up............the bike is still under going her full rebuild :) but way on her way to being back on road

Jon_W
12-02-13, 10:56 AM
The 12V florrie sounds like the great idea. Might invest in one of these myself.