PDA

View Full Version : Advisory Help Please

MelkshamKwak
19-03-13, 01:47 PM
Peeps,

At last years MOT, the Kwak received the following advisory:

"Off-side Front Shock absorber has light misting of stanchion" I didn''t take notice of the advisories at the time, but as i know absolutely nothing about mechanics, should i be worried? will it be expensive to repair? any help grateful...

Ta

Crosbie
19-03-13, 02:49 PM
Not a massive concern. As long as the is not oil running on the stanchion its not a problem but your best of getting the forks serviced anyway as your suspension is as important as your tyres for sticking to the road! ;)

You'll need your seals replaceing mostly likely. What age is it?

Just seen in you avatar its a 98... doh. New seals circa £25 delivered if you want to diy it but you will want something to stop the damper rod spinning. Kawak do a tool but i think most people make something up themselves to stop it spinning. Pretty straight forward job to be fair. Oh and replace the oil with new :D

MelkshamKwak
19-03-13, 02:56 PM
it's 1998, and as far as i can see - there is no oil 'running'

MelkshamKwak
19-03-13, 03:07 PM
thanks for the advice.
:)
cheers

QB1
19-03-13, 04:52 PM
I'd get it done sooner rather than later, last thing you want is for it to go when you are riding it, especially with summer on the way.

It certainly aint going to get better.

I had one go on an old Bandit I had, damn thing went when I was in Weymouth and pee'd out all over the front brakes so ended up costing more in the long run. Wasnt much fun to ride home either.

MelkshamKwak
19-03-13, 05:31 PM
Thanks Nikki, sounds like a plan :)

Scotty
19-03-13, 07:12 PM
Are you finding oil on the fork stanchion now? If it's no worse, a good clean before the test (lift up the dust cover on the top of the slider and give it a really thorough wipe under there too) should leave it clean enough not to attract unfavourable attention from the tester (I presume MoT time approaches?)
If it is leaving oil deposits on the stanchion then it's time to get the seal changed. Not too expensive, but I don't know of any dealers or mechanics around Melksham so you'd need to tap into someone's local knowledge for that.

MelkshamKwak
20-03-13, 01:50 PM
To be honest, i can't see any misting or leak!!!! but i will take the tip and give it a clean before MOT - not due until June but no harm in keeping an eye out for problems...

Thanks.

Jon_W
24-03-13, 05:33 PM
As with Scotty. If it's no worse give it a clean off and present it. See if you get an advisory this year....

If there's no leak or significant smear of oil then your fine.

MelkshamKwak
25-03-13, 03:05 PM
Thanks peeps, appreciated.