PDA

View Full Version : Choke cable on my Kwak

MrSquidbeak
20-03-13, 07:37 AM
This morning i was starting my bike and due to the cold it needs a little help from the choke. As i pulled the choke leaver back it got half way and then there was no tension in the leaver, and the choke wasnt working.
I think the cable may have snapped.
Does anyone know if this is an expensive fix as just spent £500 on tyres and brakes and cant really afford anything else?

Found this on amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Choke-Kawasaki-ZX600G1-2-ZZR600-ZX600D1-3/dp/B008GS41L2

Is it something i can do myself? :-/

Scotty
20-03-13, 07:47 AM
It'll be a simple thing to replace - you'll need to remove seat, fuel tank and possibly the air filter box - quite straightforward, no special tools needed. Try to ensure you don't drop any fasteners when removing the airbox or you'll have fun and games trying to retrieve them (telescopic magnet on a stick is the kiddy for that...) The choke cable routing should be straightforward enough, to be safe it might be worth photographing where it goes before removing the old one. I doubt that you'll need to remove the carbs.

Have a go, you'll probably find it quite liberating to achieve the task and it'll give you more confidence to attempt other jobs when you need to.

MrSquidbeak
20-03-13, 09:14 AM
It'll be a simple thing to replace - you'll need to remove seat, fuel tank and possibly the air filter box - quite straightforward, no special tools needed. Try to ensure you don't drop any fasteners when removing the airbox or you'll have fun and games trying to retrieve them (telescopic magnet on a stick is the kiddy for that...) The choke cable routing should be straightforward enough, to be safe it might be worth photographing where it goes before removing the old one. I doubt that you'll need to remove the carbs.

Have a go, you'll probably find it quite liberating to achieve the task and it'll give you more confidence to attempt other jobs when you need to.

Thanks mate, ill give this a go

Conehead
20-03-13, 11:31 PM
I am quite happy to help if you bring it round mine, I am in Salisbury and have the tools. :):)

MrSquidbeak
21-03-13, 10:25 AM
I am quite happy to help if you bring it round mine, I am in Salisbury and have the tools. :):)

Thank you so much, in the process of moving at the mo so ill PM you about dates and we can see when we both free.
Top man ;D

Conehead
21-03-13, 09:32 PM
No prob. Just give me a shout when ready. Good luck with the move, is it local?

MrSquidbeak
25-03-13, 06:43 PM
No prob. Just give me a shout when ready. Good luck with the move, is it local?

Yeah im moving from London to Sherfiled English. Taking ages to do everything so much flat pack so big problems have taken a back seat for the mo

Conehead
25-03-13, 09:08 PM
No rush. Let me know when you are ready and we will get it done.