PDA

View Full Version : Mr GSXR man

Jon_W
08-10-12, 07:46 AM
Who passed me on saturday going into Holt.....

.... fix your feking exhaust..... the popping and banging sounds terrible and will damage your lovely new can!

Splash
08-10-12, 11:06 AM

.... fix your feking exhaust..... the popping and banging sounds terrible and will damage your lovely new can!

;D

Goldie
08-10-12, 02:28 PM
;D ;D

Rabb
08-10-12, 10:00 PM
Not me - my exhaust sounds great!

wiltshire builders
08-10-12, 11:28 PM

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout Willis? It sounds great when a bike pops. It's only excess air igniting from the heat. Won't affect the can at all.

Jon_W
09-10-12, 07:54 AM
apart from damaging the packing, rivets and any baffles....

Mitch9128
09-10-12, 08:05 AM
I rode round with a Hawk Kawasaki can that banged/popped and burbled for over 2 years, the packing/rivets and baffles were still fine when it went down the road. Fact is to get rid of them you have to de-tune your bike, and we already got to several pages before on that subject.

wiltshire builders
09-10-12, 04:39 PM
Maybe after 80,000 miles
Perhaps you could let him know that not cornering so hard will extend the life of his tyres too ;D

Jon_W
10-10-12, 08:15 AM
Trust me guys this wasn't a little pop and bang.... it sounded like it was backfiring!!!!

Jon_W
10-10-12, 08:22 AM
Maybe after 80,000 miles
Perhaps you could let him know that not cornering so hard will extend the life of his tyres too ;D

;D

Yep and I'm on my 3rd scorpian and the sv is far from 240,000!! It managed to remove the baffle tube of the first one and loosen 1/2 the rivets of the second! The one on there now is a special with a welded in baffle tube and stainless rivets!!!

I've also seen a Harris destroyed by backfiring the engine!!!

Trust me they are far from indestructable.

cerruti
10-10-12, 12:48 PM
Erm, our Harleys pop and bang all the time - are you saying it's a bad thing? :-?

Dan505
10-10-12, 12:57 PM
unburnt fuel getting into the exhaust isn't too good, i'd be more concerned with why the engine was running rich and dumping fuel into the exhaust instead of burning it like it should. (thats what causes the POP i believe)

wiltshire builders
10-10-12, 02:23 PM
Erm, our Harleys pop and bang all the time - are you saying it's a bad thing? :-?
Yes, it's a very bad thing! But admitting that you own a Harley is the first step to recovery. ;D

wiltshire builders
10-10-12, 02:26 PM
;D

Yep and I'm on my 3rd scorpian and the sv is far from 240,000!! It managed to remove the baffle tube of the first one and loosen 1/2 the rivets of the second! The one on there now is a special with a welded in baffle tube and stainless rivets!!!

Have you been hitting the kill switch whilst going along, to scare old ladies?
No wonder you're destroying cans! ;D

Dan505
10-10-12, 03:10 PM
why what does that do when using the K/switch? :-?

wiltshire builders
10-10-12, 05:25 PM
why what does that do when using the K/switch? :-?
It cuts the combustion in the engine. If the throttle is kept open, fuel continues to flow, when the kill switch is turned off, the bike fires up..........I think you can guess the rest.

This will only work on a carb fed engine btw

Gooz
10-10-12, 06:05 PM
suzi rf loved this with a venom no baffle at nights impressive ;D

cerruti
10-10-12, 07:57 PM
Yes, it's a very bad thing! But admitting that you own a Harley is the first step to recovery. ;D

I ask an innocent question and this is the response I get.

This is exactly the reason why I haven't posted on here for a while and won't be anymore.

Thankyou very much.

Nelly
10-10-12, 09:30 PM

This is exactly the reason why I haven't posted on here for a while and won't be anymore.

Thankyou very much.

Cerruti. I wouldn't take too much notice if were you. I don't think Mr Builders view is the view of most of the people on here. In fact i'm sure Mr WB would even admit that he doesn't mean any harm by his statement. Wouldn't you Dan? I'm fairly sure it was just a poor attempt at humour?

BB
10-10-12, 11:23 PM
I'm sure you are right Nelly, just ignore what I'm sure was meant to be a joke Cerruti.

Always difficult to convey a teasing tone in the written word

BB

Jon_W
11-10-12, 07:58 AM
;D

No me guv! :)

Jon_W
11-10-12, 08:02 AM

They souldn't pop and bang a lot, certanly not sounding like a backfire.....

Gooz
11-10-12, 09:42 AM
Just to labour the point, overrun the popping and burbling in a harley or most twins will not harm your exhaust, a bad fuel mixture caused by swithching of the spark leaving too much unburnt fuel in the collector pipes can, it just like making a rolling accetelane bomb for those with a misspent child hood, all petrol combustion engines naturally burble, you dont hear it in a car due the amount of silencers fitted and physical length of the exhaust,
If you try to alter the natural (allowed for in the design) scheme of things then you CAN not always will cause your self problems, loud bang and pop=pressure, normal burble is dealt with quite happily by the diameter of the pipes.
It doesn't happen on throttle because the fuel mixture is burnt as part of a well timed cycle, on overun however this cycle is absent and the mixture burns at will when there is either enough present in the exhaust or ignition at a random point. 4 stroke (otto) cycle:- suck, squeeze,bang and blow, all in the engine its fine, unfortunately there is no easy way to control the bang and blow in the exhaust.

Ps cerruti Harleys are normaly a little louder because
a/ the exhausts are of a bigger diameter.
b/ they normally have a straight through configeration
c/ they are large Twins.

Snowy
11-10-12, 10:17 AM
Just to labour the point, overrun the popping and burbling in a harley or most twins will not harm your exhaust, a bad fuel mixture caused by swithching of the spark leaving too much unburnt fuel in the collector pipes can, it just like making a rolling accetelane bomb for those with a misspent child hood, all petrol combustion engines naturally burble, you dont hear it in a car due the amount of silencers fitted and physical length of the exhaust,
If you try to alter the natural (allowed for in the design) scheme of things then you CAN not always will cause your self problems, loud bang and pop=pressure, normal burble is dealt with quite happily by the diameter of the pipes.
It doesn't happen on throttle because the fuel mixture is burnt as part of a well timed cycle, on overun however this cycle is absent and the mixture burns at will when there is either enough present in the exhaust or ignition at a random point. 4 stroke (otto) cycle:- suck, squeeze,bang and blow, all in the engine its fine, unfortunately there is no easy way to control the bang and blow in the exhaust.

Ps cerruti Harleys are normaly a little louder because
a/ the exhausts are of a bigger diameter.
b/ they normally have a straight through configeration
c/ they are large Twins.

Agreed. The other thing to remember especially with big twins of an older design such as the BMW Boxer engine is that to get them through the tougher emission controls now they are running extremely lean (fuel/air mixture) as standard. My Beemer popped on the overun in standard trim - they all do that sir! That's with a restrictive exhaust and catalytic converter. I have subsequently removed those offending items ;) and modified the fueling to suit. The popping noises are still there which I have a personal preference for ;D just a bit louder due to the clearer pathway for the exhaust gases. The engine runs sweeter at low and mid-range revs especially, which was the improvement I was looking for.

On your Harley, the normal popping and burbling is nothing to worry about - its part of the character of the engine. :) And don't worry about the banter about Harley's...its usually much worse when aimed at Beemer riders. Go onto a BMW forum and the stick given to the squids on pocket rockets is just as bad!

Gooz
11-10-12, 10:20 AM
Dont forget about the power rangers !!!!!! they come in for it too!

Nikki
11-10-12, 10:34 AM

Thankyou very much.

Oh dont take it to heart I'm sure it was friendly banter - give him some back ;) :) :)

We need more ladies here on the forum even ones who ride Harleys (and I really am joking I've got nothing against Harleys at all, although my OH accuses me of being a secret Harley fan because I love Ducatis...strange man :o :o ;D ;D)

Gerry
11-10-12, 12:25 PM

Thankyou very much.

Cerruti. I wouldn't take too much notice if were you. I don't think Mr Builders view is the view of most of the people on here. In fact i'm sure Mr WB would even admit that he doesn't mean any harm by his statement. Wouldn't you Dan? I'm fairly sure it was just a poor attempt at humour?

I thought it was a very good attempt at humour ;D made me laugh anyway.

Cerutti, it would be a shame if you were put off a whole forum by one very mild bit of fun (with a laughing smiley at the end of it) !

Forums are supposed to be fun places and part of this is the banter that goes on between members. If you are a Harley rider, a BMW rider, a Ducati rider, a trike rider, a yellow sports bike rider (with yellow leathers) or a crasher after the flag on a track day rider, this all will be picked up on and merriment made at your ( and my) expense.

This forum is by far the most gentle that I know of, and it's great that we have such a diverse group of people and bikes.

Gerry ;)

Jon_W
11-10-12, 01:20 PM
ENOUGH!

This was ment to be lighthearted comment on a incedent. NOT a comment on forum etiquette.

Mitch9128
11-10-12, 02:03 PM
ENOUGH!

This was ment to be lighthearted comment on a incedent. NOT a comment on forum etiquette.

Is your spelcheck broken?

Mitch9128
11-10-12, 02:04 PM
Anyway, HD's are supposed to crackle, pop and bang. After you pour 3 litres of fuel over them, and flick a match on it as you walk away.

I would have said 4 litres, but have you seen the price of petrol these days?

Gerry
11-10-12, 02:05 PM
Good job with that spelling [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

:P

Caz
11-10-12, 09:13 PM
I thought it was a very good attempt at humour made me laugh anyway.

Cerutti, it would be a shame if you were put off a whole forum by one very mild bit of fun (with a laughing smiley at the end of it) !

Forums are supposed to be fun places and part of this is the banter that goes on between members. If you are a Harley rider, a BMW rider, a Ducati rider, a trike rider, a yellow sports bike rider (with yellow leathers) or a crasher after the flag on a track day rider, this all will be picked up on and merriment made at your ( and my) expense.

This forum is by far the most gentle that I know of, and it's great that we have such a diverse group of people and bikes.

Gerry

What you saying about yellow sports bike and matching leathers - Gerry
;D :P

Gixxer_Tom
19-09-13, 07:09 AM
I know this is an old thread but did we ever work out who this was!?

What colour is the Gixxer??