PDA

View Full Version : Guitars and Rock n Roll

Iceman
09-06-08, 11:20 PM
Just thought Id mention that when not riding my bike I like to play Guitar and freelance so if there are any budding musicians around swindon give me a shout!

bikerbabe
09-06-08, 11:56 PM
cool can you teach me then hun

Iceman
10-06-08, 03:32 AM
Yeh,no problem! what's your style?

bikerbabe
10-06-08, 03:37 AM
i can read music and would love to learn the guitar and start with something easy if u catch my drift

Sue600
10-06-08, 08:57 AM
Thats good to know... used to play classical guitar (quite a long time ago), and now have an electric bass hanging round my house... wouldl love to be able to play something on it! ;D

Amante_271
10-06-08, 09:04 AM
Scrabble??

Iceman
10-06-08, 09:13 AM
Good morning ladies. Mandy,if you're series about learning guitar maybe you can get down Sallys' Thursday to speak further. Sue, I started on Bass guitar some 30 years ago(gosh) and it really teaches you the backbone of how a song is held together.I consider it more important than Electric guitar as it is the rhythm section in every music you can think of except classical(oops).So learning is a worthy cause and bass players are more sought after due to too many lead guitarists doing the rounds. Come back on that one if you wish to discuss further!

Dabz
10-06-08, 11:24 AM
Good to have another guitarist on here :) I've been playing for about 13 years now :D

Sue600
10-06-08, 12:39 PM
Will have to chat at the Sally thurs ;D

davemcmorrow
10-06-08, 04:10 PM
I used to play the Euphonium :o :-X
Not quite as cool as playing a guitar tho ;D

Tubz
10-06-08, 05:05 PM
I play drums, good for aggression ;D

Guitar is cool tho... always handy to have one floating about at a party!

Iceman
10-06-08, 05:28 PM
Yeh,drums are cool too Tubz. Being in a band or jamming as one of the lads or lassies is great when it comes together! Only problem is that after years of standing to the right of drummers I've got tinittis in my left ear! :-[ Now I'm riding bikes again that's only going to add to it!lol, so must get some ear defenders!
later....

Iceman
10-06-08, 05:34 PM
A Euphonium! Is that like a trumpet but inflated like.Part of the brass section I believe. I think all "real" music is great regardless of what you play. Incidentally I've played a banjo and also keyboards and each has its' uses!
Being scottish I fancied learning the Accordian but could not get on with the bellows!
Ill stick to my guitar as my No.1 instrument,so versatile and seductive!

Hunar
10-06-08, 05:35 PM
when the finances sort themselves out, I intend to learn the drums myself, already got the OK from the GF to have a drum kit in the living room, just need the money now ;D ;D ;D

Iceman
10-06-08, 05:51 PM
Hunar, what about electronic drums? Can play quiet as well as add gates and reverb. Expensive though and then there's the hefty speaker cabs to consider.Nothing like bare skin so I suppose real acoustic drums win then! Just make sure it's got a good kick (bass drum) because playing live so much I get to hear some great kits and the kick has to punch to augment the bass player to "move me"! Of course you can always drop in a mic and sub bass it in the backline. Tubz sounds like the woman with experience in that department so maybe he'll share his views and recommendations?

Tubz
10-06-08, 05:54 PM
HE!!! im a gurl <sob> :'(

electric drums are great, i had some... but if u wear headphones whilst u play it will drive everyone nuts as the sound of them are awful to other people- but hey who cares if you are making good tunes.

I quite fancy pullin them out the loft now ;D

Iceman
10-06-08, 06:13 PM
Hey Tubz,I'm sorry. I just noticed your gender sign.My assumption.I've ammended my "man" and added"wo".lol ;) Must look out for the tiny wee signs there! regarding drums maybe you invite Hunar round to get a feel of the drums?Just a thought!
Mandy my lass,I'm from Leith,Edinburgh! Been involved with the military brought me to RAF Lyneham,hence Swindon, and I've sort of stayed here ever since!
Scotland does have some great biking routes with miles of empty clean tarmac to burn up the glen! I find Wiltshire suffocating with too many cars and some badly maintained roads.Never payed too much attention untill I got back on my bike! Hopefully some of the experienced bikers on here know some great rideouts I aint discovered yet! :D

bikerbabe
10-06-08, 06:22 PM
i know leith very well my daughters dad was from there i was born in rutherglen in glasgow i know what you mean about to many cars in swindon i used to live there for a bit and my bike got nicked from there as well so dont like the place that much

davemcmorrow
11-06-08, 01:39 AM
A Euphonium! Is that like a trumpet but inflated like.Part of the brass section I believe. I think all "real" music is great regardless of what you play. Incidentally I've played a banjo and also keyboards and each has its' uses!
Being scottish I fancied learning the Accordian but could not get on with the bellows!
Ill stick to my guitar as my No.1 instrument,so versatile and seductive!

Yeah like a trumpet but inflated by quite a bit. when I was at school playing, it was actually bigger than me ;D was good fun though!

Dabz
11-06-08, 08:48 AM
I had an electric drum kit for a while, it defintiely drives people mad if you have the headphones on! Great sounds through a good speaker, but just didn't have the feel of a real skin. Perfect solution for keeping neighbours happy though!

igbell
11-06-08, 09:09 AM
I used to play the trumpet in the Swindon Young Musicians, and the cornet in the Criklade marching band, then I couldnt be arsed so I gave up.

I had a electric gutiar for a month until the rents told me to sell it or it will be gone one night when I get home. >:(

Still have my trumpet in the loft.....

Iceman
16-06-08, 07:59 PM
Thought I'd revive this thread as its' gone a bit quiet! Anyone know of any decent Jam sessions outside Swindon? I love to play with other musicians and next to bikes it's a great way to de-stress! I've looked on"Whats on" but it does'nt mention Jam sessions. Maybe some of the biker musicians here can meet up at a jam sometime!

BoatingBiker
16-06-08, 08:43 PM
They tried to teach me the Cornet when I was at school (many years ago now) but the only cornets I like now have ice cream in them LOL

But I do have quite a few Stones cd's including a few early releases now remastered[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Iceman
16-06-08, 09:15 PM
Glad you mentioned the Stones, "Real talent dont fade!!!" Can't say the same about some of the drivel around at the moment.Being a guitarist and keyboard player for over 30 years I know my subject well and love the up and coming "guitar" bands getting back to the roots of R&R. The Rolling Stones had a raw energy which survives to this day. I have a wide taste for anything that makes sense and offers emotion. Lately I've been listening to Guitarists Steve Via and Joe Satriani, but also like Dire Straits and Bon Jovi.
Funnily enough I played Country music for several years as a pro musician here and abroad.It payed good money and I learnt a lot,above all else enjoying music for what it does for you! Anyway...enough babbling on by me, over to the board!
later........

bubblylittleme
20-06-08, 05:05 PM
Hey I play guitar and sing. Jamming session at pilot in Bowerhill Melksham on Mondays. Also love Rock n Roll and learnt to jive last year. Great rock n roll nights in Melksham also with live bands

Iceman
20-06-08, 05:21 PM
bubblelittleme, Did we not meet at Sallys a fortnight ago?You ride a 250? Anyway,what musics' in on the Jam then? May pop down one Monday to check it out!

bubblylittleme
21-06-08, 04:52 PM
yep you have right person. irish, rock whatever u play then rest follow. take it in turns. but some weeks no one turns up other weeks may be 16!

Iceman
21-06-08, 06:40 PM
Ok, will look in this Monday! 7.30pm onwards??? Thanks for that info! I'll bring the guitar and amp!

Dabz
21-06-08, 07:37 PM
I went to see Satirani in Bristol a few weeks back, supported by Paul Gilbert. Both amazing guitarists! My fav guitarist is Gary Moore though - has the speed and dexterity but also very blues based with a good ear for melody rather than just all-out thrashing across the fretboard

Iceman
21-06-08, 09:47 PM
Dabz, I agree on Satriani.Some of his stuff I find plain boring although very technical whereas other stuff is pure genius!It's a very subjective thing anyway and open to debate.I only play his melodic stuff and in that resppect Blues is more "soulful".I do like Gary moore as a result but again not all his stuff. After 30 odd years in this business you 'tend to get around to playing most musicians stuff anyway! I've got a DVD with Joe Satriani alongside Steve Via and guest Eric Johnson. Although Joe and Steve were obviously the more accomplished in a technical sense I prefered Erics' bluesy and melodic sound overall, so there you go mate! ;)

schwee
22-06-08, 09:41 PM
I play the guitar, but mines plastic, has 5 coloured 'tabs', no strings and is wirelessly connected to my Xbox 360 ;D

Iceman
22-06-08, 10:21 PM
Schwee, I've heard of some guitar game for the 360.Any good?

bubblylittleme
22-06-08, 10:23 PM
8pm -8.30 usually at pilot

schwee
22-06-08, 11:22 PM
Guitar hero is great! But then again, if you can actually play guitar I'm not sure how you would rate it...

I love it though :D

Dabz
23-06-08, 04:08 PM
I love guitar hero! I avoided it for years because I didn't see the point if I could play the real guitar, but it's really addictive! My brother (also a guitarist) doesn't see the point but I think if you view it as a game rather than a substitute it's very good

schwee
23-06-08, 09:56 PM
Oh yeah! Dragon force rocks :D

Iceman
24-06-08, 04:37 PM
Oh yeah! Dragon force rocks :D

Is that a guitar game too? Just wondering. My grandson keeps on touching my guitar so maybe one of those Guitar hero games will keep him busy! :)

Iceman
24-06-08, 08:14 PM
Here I am finger tapping my Les Paul without an XBox360!lol :D

schwee
24-06-08, 08:18 PM
Dragon Force is the name of a band that appears on Guitar Hero...it's really hard, even on easy.

Check out Through the Fire and the Flames on you tube...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0jgrCKhxE1s

Iceman
24-06-08, 08:28 PM
Schwee,Yeh,a good song. I can hear the techniques and can play them no problem but I'm trying to fathom out how you translate that to the xbox and play it with no "real Guitar Technique" involved? Is it a "Paint by numbers" type of thing.I'm sure it's fun and that's what counts! As for the band,they sound good although I've never heard of them. I tend to play Yngie Malmsteen,Steve Via and Joe Satriani stuff. Also some blues,a bit of other rock etc. Even had a bash at country! lol Have been playing 32 years now! Oops,showing my age!

Dabz
24-06-08, 08:45 PM
Basically guitar hero is like the old simon says games where a number lights up and you press it...or like those dancing games you see in arcades? You press the appropriately coloured button on the plastic guitar's neck and strum as the notes occur in the song. As the difficulty gets harder, the closer the notes are together etc. Very good fun but even for a guitarist of 15 years I found it hard at first!

Iceman
24-06-08, 09:02 PM
Dabz,we must meet up for a jam at that pub in Melksham on Monday eve sometime mate! "Littlebubbleme" told me about it. ;)

Dabz
24-06-08, 09:08 PM
That sounds like a plan...though I must practice first hehe, I'm ashamed to say when I moved to Exeter for 10 months I left my guitars up here so have barely played :( I'll soon be back to regular playing though and hopefully the fingers will regain their old strength :P

Iceman
24-06-08, 09:16 PM
Dabz,with me,it's not about how much ability you have but enjoying the moment in good company.We learn from each other! A bit like a Rideout!

bubblylittleme
25-06-08, 10:36 PM
no-one turned up monday! will let u know if def on

Iceman
26-06-08, 02:26 PM
no-one turned up monday! will let u know if def on
Well,I'm glad I did'nt travel all the way over with my gear then! Let me know if it's still an ongoing event please!

Iceman
09-07-08, 08:49 AM
"bubblelittleme", Dont suppose you found out whether the jam session in Melksham is still running properly?

Iceman
21-08-08, 04:52 PM
Been a while sinc eI posted on this topic.Is there any other jam sessions in Wilts other than Swindon? I've done the usual Google search with not much luck! :(

bubblylittleme
26-08-08, 11:51 AM
Its starting up again in November. Hes out sailing his boat all the time at mo.

Iceman
26-08-08, 08:27 PM
Its starting up again in November. Hes out sailing his boat all the time at mo.

Ok,thanks for the update! ;)