PDA

View Full Version : help needed

karl636
26-04-09, 08:27 PM
Time has come to decide what to do, sell my audi and buy a van or fit a toebar to the audi and get a trailor, this is for my track bike/days.

also how the hell do you fit a toe bar and what regulations have i got to abide by. all info welcome

karl

Davey
26-04-09, 08:39 PM
Take it to the tow bar fitter by the swindon train station ind park (sheppard street iirc) and ask them nicely to fit one.

Regarding regulations your car will have a max towing weight - don't go above it

karl636
26-04-09, 09:09 PM
Take it to the tow bar fitter by the swindon train station ind park (sheppard street iirc) and ask them nicely to fit one.

Regarding regulations your car will have a max towing weight - don't go above it

thx stu,

i live in salisbury so somewere round here would be better.

karl

igbell
26-04-09, 09:33 PM
These days you have to have a bar fitted that is either of a standard, with a little plate on it that tells the max weight it can take and then it has to have the right ball fitted as well. Also you have to have a proper rely fitted as well ( I know this due to my old man used to work at Swindon Caravan Centre, also I had one fitted to the Passat).

Well you have two ways of thinking here, could you do your day to day driving in a Van?? or would it be better to keep the car and then buy a trailer?? do you have somewhere to store a trailer??

karl636
26-04-09, 09:42 PM
These days you have to have a bar fitted that is either of a standard, with a little plate on it that tells the max weight it can take and then it has to have the right ball fitted as well. Also you have to have a proper rely fitted as well ( I know this due to my old man used to work at Swindon Caravan Centre, also I had one fitted to the Passat).

Well you have two ways of thinking here, could you do your day to day driving in a Van?? or would it be better to keep the car and then buy a trailer?? do you have somewhere to store a trailer??

i could store a trailer in my garage TBH the bike could be fixed to it unless i was working on it, save space...... they have great vans these days VW Transporter, make it into a little shag pad aswell lol just kidding.

karl

Scotty
26-04-09, 10:31 PM
also how the hell do you fit a toe bar ...
karl
You probably have to go to one of those places that does body piercings and the like - sounds a bit uncomfortable to me... :-?

crewy
27-04-09, 12:26 AM
If you do turn it in to a mobile shag pad, let me know and i will rent it off you for a bit!!! ha ha :D

Kevinb
27-04-09, 08:38 AM
Karl

Have you tried Salisbury caravan centre, Castle gate business park, Salisbury 01722 326111?
I'm sure they could fit a towbar. You will need to check your owners manual re how much you can tow.

karl636
27-04-09, 09:43 AM
thx guys that caravan centre is just up the road from me.....

if i keep my audi sorry crewy but no shag pad there lol always the bonnet though he he he.

TBH i think i will be going for the toe bar as i love my audi to much [smiley=thumbsup.gif].

thanks for all the input guys.
will keep you updated
karl

igbell
27-04-09, 10:15 AM
You can do it yourself still at the mo (will be changing in the law soon), you can buy from Tow-Sure or places like that, they arent difficult to fix to the car and come with great instructions, but some you have to cut the bumper so watch out for those ones, I went for a non-cut one so that I could get better money for the Passat if I flogged it as some peeps dont like to see the bumper cut up.
The only reason I didnt do it myself was that I got a good deal through My old man through a gent called Bob Eagle, who is a mobile fitter, I will try and find the info for you, I dont have it to hand at work sorry.
Also the other reason I didnt do it is that Electrics and me dont mix. ;D ;D

karl636
27-04-09, 10:34 AM
You can do it yourself still at the mo (will be changing in the law soon), you can buy from Tow-Sure or places like that, they arent difficult to fix to the car and come with great instructions, but some you have to cut the bumper so watch out for those ones, I went for a non-cut one so that I could get better money for the Passat if I flogged it as some peeps dont like to see the bumper cut up.
The only reason I didnt do it myself was that I got a good deal through My old man through a gent called Bob Eagle, who is a mobile fitter, I will try and find the info for you, I dont have it to hand at work sorry.
Also the other reason I didnt do it is that Electrics and me dont mix. ;D ;D

thx mate,

i have been quoted between £354-£420 fully fitted with electrics factory fitted and warrenty is 3 yrs. bloody hell its only a bloody bit of metal lol

Uber Dave
27-04-09, 10:45 AM
Do Audi not do an optional one that goes on the already placed bulk head, not sure how hold the car is but some companies have optional ones you can buy which and they just go right on.

karl636
27-04-09, 10:53 AM
Do Audi not do an optional one that goes on the already placed bulk head, not sure how hold the car is but some companies have optional ones you can buy which and they just go right on.

good thinking, didnt think of that i will call them now, its an audi S4 05 plate, maybe swap it for a A4 Sline TDI better pulling power (trailor) lol.

karl636
27-04-09, 08:11 PM

audi wanted £1000 for their towbar sod that.

karl

ONFIRE
27-04-09, 08:47 PM

karl

Have the same problem with my ML might as well get a cheap van at that price :-/

karl636
27-04-09, 08:59 PM

karl

Have the same problem with my ML might as well get a cheap van at that price :-/

ok decided to keep audi now and just borrow my brothers range rover and hire a trailer for £15 per day.

karl

igbell
28-04-09, 10:11 AM
furry muff.....

igbell
28-04-09, 10:17 AM
Just had a look on tow sure for your car and it is £312 for all the bits, then you have to fit it.

jonnydangerous
28-04-09, 12:17 PM
karl, give me a shout, ive fitted tow bars before......

Scotty, that made me laugh, well spotted.... ;D

jaydee.