PDA

View Full Version : I wrote off my car :(

Hannah
10-05-09, 08:32 PM
:'( Well I managed to write off my car on Friday. I was at a roundabout and there were 2 cars infront of me the first pulled away and I looked at the guy infront who started to pull away then looked right and started to move forward. By the time I looked ahead again the guy decided he wasnt going to go and stopped and I went right up his backside. He was in a freelander and I broke 2 rear lights >:( >:( >:( AND the pompous bloomin man who was in it got out and decided that he has whiplash!!! He called the police and they had to call an ambulance and I just found out that even the paramedics were doubting if he was hurt. Some people will do anything for a bit of money >:(

On the plus side I now have to ride my bike to work everyday. Downside is that its an hour each way and i'm not looking forward to the rain :(

steveo
10-05-09, 08:35 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D as long as your ok mate, at least you have done ya crash for this year ;D ;D so this makes it 4 years in a row :D

R1chie
10-05-09, 08:37 PM
Nightmare HMB.

Just goes to show the sad state of affairs of people nowadays, always on the lookout for the quick buck.

Let me guess, your insurance company were only too pleased to write off your car? That gets my goat as well.

Main thing is that you're ok. Let's hope the weather stays good for your bike commuting

Hannah
10-05-09, 08:45 PM
My insurance company don't know yet. Have been away this weekend so they will find out tomorrow but the chassis I think is bent and everything has been pushed up. The bonest is crumpled to bits and the front bumper is bent up so theres now way it will get fixed.

What annoys me is it was clearly an accident and he can see i'm a young looking female and still decided to make some money out of me. Never mind, oh its only 2 lights out just give me £50 to cover costs he then says well i think you bent the back door ill need to replace the whole door and wheel too! >:( I took pics and there are no visible dents. grrr.

The police called the house later than night to check if I was ok. thats was nice of them [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

6T
10-05-09, 09:05 PM
that is bad news HMB but the main thing is your ok,i agree with R1chie does sound like the person you hit is on the make,how times have changed i had the same sort of accident nearly 30 years ago i was on my farthers insurance at the time so didnt want to claim off the insurance i explained this to the person i hit and they were happy for me to pay for the damage out of my own pocket

Ryan
11-05-09, 12:12 AM
nasty to hear that! glad your okay though! i know all to well about writeing off cars ive had 7 cars and have wrote 6 off including my mates fiesta lol, not manged to prang me foci yet (touch wood) ;)

Uber Dave
11-05-09, 10:11 AM
Its bad that everyone automatically goes out to claim everything they possibly can these days. Medical proof will be required though for him to get whiplash claim to go through, and if the damage on the car doesn't imply a high enough speed impact to induce the damage then it should get thrown out.

Sorry to hear about the accident though, not had the misfortune to hit another car yet in 7 odd years of driving, only thing I have hit so far was a Deer at 70mph, thankfully only a baby!

steveo
11-05-09, 10:28 AM
do you know if ya getting it fixed yet, or are you looking for a new car?? [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

igbell
11-05-09, 11:11 AM
Sorry to hear that....at least you have the bike...

Hannah
11-05-09, 11:13 AM
do you know if ya getting it fixed yet, or are you looking for a new car?? [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Its beyond repair. :( So I will have to get a new one but I have just brought the new bike so I cant afford one at the moment. I don't think I want one just yet with my bad luck at the moment. Thats 3 out of 5 cars I have written off and my 4th or 5th crash in about 4 years :(

steveo
11-05-09, 12:28 PM
thats cool, well glad ya sorted with ya bike now,

Ryan
11-05-09, 01:35 PM
sound as bad as me in a car :| i used to crash thro being a silly idiot and racing round like a looney (which i dont do anymore... to much) lol ;D

Hannah
11-05-09, 02:22 PM
I just dont pay attention :( I'm not exactly sat there doing make up in the mirror or anything like that. It's just things like looking for indication or looking twice. I suppose its good with my bike that I have to run the engine is as it will make me ride a lot slower and I can pay more attention to everything round me.

steveo
11-05-09, 02:37 PM
im like that in a car mate, i pay so much more attention on a bike, i always play with the radio or kids, or just start watching random bikes as thay go past and forget im driving lol or gawp at people in my rear view mirror

jj
12-05-09, 06:42 AM
sounds like your better off staying away from cars before u get hurt or hurt someone else.... ::)

Kevinb
12-05-09, 08:38 AM
Sorry to hear about the car. 3 out of 5 cars written off is bad luck, you're scapeage scheme appears more successful than the Governments.
Atleast you have other transport to get you from A to B.
Lets hope one day the prat does get real whiplash. Hopefully they will see he hasn't. People like this should get fined for time wasting.

Iceman
12-05-09, 10:25 AM
..well I've been tailgated twice and sorry but it's caused by driving too close to the vehicle in front! "stop gaps" are law for good reason and both times the offending driver thought I was moving off,again poor judgement and lack of situational awareness! Do that on a bike and the outcome can be a lot worse! .. and no! I did not persue compensation nor involve the police and just agreed a repair fee between us! One of the drivers in fact "had borrowed" his dads' BMW and I let him off saying it's your lucky day mate even though I did take my wife to casualty for"whiplash"! Moneys' not everything and I agree there is people out there that probably try to induce a rear impact and claim "whiplash". safe riding and driving and keep that"safe zone" between you and the other vehicle! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

IanTasker
12-05-09, 10:36 AM
..well I've been tailgated twice and sorry but it's caused by driving too close to the vehicle in front! "stop gaps" are law for good reason and both times the offending driver thought I was moving off,again poor judgement and lack of situational awareness! Do that on a bike and the outcome can be a lot worse! .. and no! I did not persue compensation nor involve the police and just agreed a repair fee between us! One of the drivers in fact "had borrowed" his dads' BMW and I let him off saying it's your lucky day mate even though I did take my wife to casualty for"whiplash"! Moneys' not everything and I agree there is people out there that probably try to induce a rear impact and claim "whiplash". safe riding and driving and keep that"safe zone" between you and the other vehicle! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

God sorry to stereotype anyone here but BMW drivers are by far the most ignorant, irresponsible down right retarded drivers on the road...... i DESPISE THEM. Every morning i have some pompous tw*t come screeming up behind me on the outside lane sitting inches off my bumber as im clearly overtaking and the only reason there's a considerable gap between me and the car infront is a dont drive like a moron. I tend to drop down to 50 mile an hour then and when they go to undertake boot it (drive a 350 Z by the way) so they get stuck in the middle lane :D

Sorry to hear bout the write off but got to agree with iceman on this one, only reason rear shunts generally happen is people sitting too close and/or switching off. I almost done it the other day coming off the M4, Chippenhame roundabout, some old dear was infront and started to go, i looked right and all was clear looked ahead and she'd stalled so had to slam on. Hope you get it sorted soon tho, is a pain in the arris

kez_kitten
12-05-09, 10:42 AM
I agree iceman, got to be a metre or so gap isnt it?! I try to keep it but i dnt like people who sit up my arse so tend to get a bit closer sometimes to get a gap behind me as well, so sometimes it gets a bit tedious and annoying! :D

Kevinb
12-05-09, 01:40 PM
Nice taste in cars Mr Tasker. I agree with James May drivers of BMW's and Audi's are cocks.

IanTasker
12-05-09, 01:45 PM
Merci :)

Hannah
12-05-09, 03:58 PM
Well I have to hold my hands up and say I was too close, I usually keeo a gap when I stop and I dont drive right up peoples bums as I know how horrible that it when it happens to me especially when i'm on a bike. But this time it was a case of lack of concentration. Luckily I dont have a BMW ;D

kez_kitten
12-05-09, 04:48 PM
i have a vauxhall zafira just to let u know lol deff not a bmw!!!! :D

KP
12-05-09, 06:10 PM

God sorry to stereotype anyone here but BMW drivers are by far the most ignorant, irresponsible down right retarded drivers on the road...... i DESPISE THEM. Every morning i have some pompous tw*t come screeming up behind me on the outside lane sitting inches off my bumber as im clearly overtaking and the only reason there's a considerable gap between me and the car infront is a dont drive like a moron. I tend to drop down to 50 mile an hour then and when they go to undertake boot it (drive a 350 Z by the way) so they get stuck in the middle lane :D

Sorry to hear bout the write off but got to agree with iceman on this one, only reason rear shunts generally happen is people sitting too close and/or switching off. I almost done it the other day coming off the M4, Chippenhame roundabout, some old dear was infront and started to go, i looked right and all was clear looked ahead and she'd stalled so had to slam on. Hope you get it sorted soon tho, is a pain in the arris

love driving my BMW 3 series ;)

jack930
14-05-09, 11:21 PM
And i also like driving my BMW 530 :P

IanTasker
15-05-09, 08:49 AM
Cocks :P

PSSSSD
15-05-09, 01:14 PM
Glad to hear you're OK, that's the main thing after all.

Regarding the BMW thing, it appears that biking Beemer owners are the most careful bods on the road, riding like a police officer instructors sensible older brother, ;D which begs the question how come the car preferring versions "can" seem to attract such a reputation??? I don't drive/ ride either by the way! ;)

davej
15-05-09, 04:28 PM
Sorry gonna pee you off but i have no sympathy

KEEP YOUR DISTANCE

simple as that.

can you imagine if i did that driving a HGV which i have a licence for id end up going over the car and killing someone

Scotty
15-05-09, 05:49 PM
I did a defensive driving training course for work recently and it's surprising the number of little things you can pick up, despite driving for over 25 years and riding for over 30... :-?
The instructor on the day said that most collisions between vehicles happen at junctions (stating the obvious a bit there), and most of those are tail-gates, usually dozy eejits not paying attention and unable to stop in time >:( A really useful tip he gave was that when stopped, even if the handbrake is on, leave your foot on the brake so that the brake lights are illuminated - that way it makes your stationary presence a little more obvious to the eejit approcahing from behind who's texting/phoning/tuning the radio/talking to the kids/picking his or her nose... a good tip [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
The instructor also said that bikers do tend to be far more alert to their surroundings when in a car (well, some of us I suppose, reading this... ;))

Steve-VFR
03-06-09, 09:40 AM
The main thing is you're okay mate. Metal can be replaced, a life can't.

If you do have to compensate him for injuries I'd smack him if I were you, at least that way you're actually paying for an injury then, not a fake ass one.

Ducatista
03-06-09, 08:48 PM
I'd suggest you take an advanced driving/riding course.
Economically there is a good case for it as the accidents cost you money on increased insurance, loss of NCB and excess.
But chances are on a bike you won't come off so lightly if you have an accident.
It will really sharpen your concentration and help you avoid accidents by anticipating, observing, positioning correctly etc.