PDA

View Full Version : Avoid Stonehenge this weekend

Chilli44
19-06-09, 01:48 PM
hi All

just thought i would mention that its the summer solstice on 21/06/09 - i.e. the longest day of the year and what with great weather expected there is going to be tonnes of traffic up by stonehenge (http://naturalpatriot.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/stonehenge.jpg) with people wanting to be there at sunrise and sunset.

Also this means lots of cops trying to keep the crowds under control!

maybe one to avoid if you dont want to get caught up in loads of traffic

8-)

Kevinb
19-06-09, 05:10 PM
Lots of men in dresses hugging stones. Definately one to avoid.

dazlow
19-06-09, 06:33 PM
Great!!!!!!! Will be riding to Dover early that morning so will start the ride with hippies and cops. >:(

KP
19-06-09, 07:48 PM
good shout chilli, will avoid this way at the weekend, i thought every work day was the longest day lmao ;)

Roxy
19-06-09, 09:57 PM
Great!!!!!!! Will be riding to Dover early that morning so will start the ride with hippies and cops. >:(

you lucky thing...waking up to a bunch of men in dresses, trying to dance and hugging the stones! hee hee

roxy ;)

R1chie
19-06-09, 10:10 PM
The Longest Day....a great film.

No Johnny Tie-Dye or Billy Beatnik to be seen there.

Stone huggers...meh!

Ryan
20-06-09, 01:24 AM
HIPPIES!!!!!!

Chilli44
20-06-09, 01:42 PM
10,000 plus people expected! Dont they have homes to go to?

Apparantly theres going to be people at Avebury tomorrow too - so avoid both sodding stone circles - who made them anyway ::) only kidding ;)

Hannah
20-06-09, 01:50 PM
I live just down the road and alot of the time its just anyone going up there to stay the night and get drunk and stoned. ha ha

Ryan
20-06-09, 02:31 PM
just bin riding around salisbury seen loads of hippys trying to thumb lifts and walking down the road LOL

KP
20-06-09, 07:10 PM
lol..was at avebury a few years ago when the 21st was a weds and clashed with the bike nite, bloody peeps dressed as trees!!!

but what spoiled it for me was the police, they were more interested in brand new bikes, than old hippie rust buckets, that had not seen an mot centre in years!! :-/

Dabz
21-06-09, 12:42 PM
typically I have to drive to andover this evening...gonna bypass the 303 and go through shrewton but spect I'll still get stuck :/

SupeRDel
23-06-09, 07:01 AM
I was there - No problems at all if you were on a bike

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l109/superdel/phphBnmowAM.jpg

Hunar
23-06-09, 09:07 PM
I have to say I was shocked to see the state people left the palce in, litter strewn everywhere around the stones.

I'm not a tree or stone hugger in anyway, but if this is the way people treat one of our historic monuments then they should put the barriers back up and stop people getting to them.

Once more the scum ruin it for everyone who played by the rules, a sad thing to see.

SupeRDel
23-06-09, 10:54 PM
Wot I saw..................

I went because I live in the area and have never been - so I went (plus I was taking pix for a mag).

There was a varied mix of people - a lot of older people and foriegners.

Then there were the hippy types.

Last there was a lot of student types and clubbers. People were crashed out on the grass all over - pissed out of their brains.

The actual solstice moment (4.58) went by un-noticed by the majority.

I actually arrived at 4am and every single person entering the car park was given a bin bag for rubbish - so they knew it was gonna happen.

The place was a filthy mess before I even got too the stones.

Can't believe how people today just chuck their crap on the ground and don't care

This area was called a gathering area (by English Heritage) for music, poetry and meditation..........
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l109/superdel/StonehengeSolstice2009.jpg

Ryan
23-06-09, 11:02 PM
HIPPYS, GOD DAMN HIPPYS :-/

Chilli44
24-06-09, 11:54 AM
I'm not a tree hugger either not really into this whole carbon footprint thing as i dont think we know enough to judge - but if people cant treat places with respect then they should not be allowed near them.

They dont just leave trash lying around their homes!!! so why is it acceptable to dump it at SH?

igbell
25-06-09, 03:27 PM
take them all to one side and throw a grenade in with them I say.....Tree Huggin Hippes.....