PDA

View Full Version : another plonker driver...daydreaming

Iceman
01-09-09, 07:59 PM
A car pulled out of a "no right turn" junction across my path the other day.Right hand on the wheel attempting to buckle up with his left. A startled look at my approach and he lifts his one steering hand to give a half hearted nod and smile that he saw me, only to have the car wallow with no input! lol ::) ..Another typical plonker of a driver with no patience, awareness or commonsense that populate our roads everyday!
I'm glad I went on bikesafe and also developed my "spider 6th sense" to avoid these wallies! :D

I was wearing my high vis vest,had my HD light on,observing the speed limit and road positioning! Still, you got to laugh at these sad individuals to be so"stressed out on a daily basis that they forget how to relax on the road!!!" :(

Mark_Able
01-09-09, 08:20 PM
A car pulled out of a "no right turn" junction across my path the other day.Right hand on the wheel attempting to buckle up with his left. A startled look at my approach and he lifts his one steering hand to give a half hearted nod and smile that he saw me, only to have the car wallow with no input! lol ::) ..Another typical plonker of a driver with no patience, awareness or commonsense that populate our roads everyday!
I'm glad I went on bikesafe and also developed my "spider 6th sense" to avoid these wallies! :D

I was wearing my high vis vest,had my HD light on,observing the speed limit and road positioning! Still, you got to laugh at these sad individuals to be so"stressed out on a daily basis that they forget how to relax on the road!!!" :(

If they ain't looking for you, they ain't going to see you. The one thing that will save your skin is to sound your horn. If you've got any doubts as to whether they've seen you, don't leave it to chance, lean on the horn before they pull out. It has saved my skin on more occasions than I care to remember. It's a well under-used tool, but is the best one for alerting drivers. If you're concerned they might take it the wrong way, a wave of the hand (using all your fingers!) normally calms them down... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Iceman
01-09-09, 08:32 PM
"Able Training",
I did use the horn.That's when he realised I was there! Infact I've beeped so much these last few months the horn packed up!lol. Fitted a new one from GW promptly!

suet
01-09-09, 08:40 PM
I need a louder one, the one on my poor old wreck is so pathetic... multi air horns might wake some of them up! Changed the one on my MZ (after it fell off) but for some reason not had to use it... maybe the bike is loud enough on its own LOL. Havig been hit by one of those "oh I didnt see you" people, I decided to go for louder bikes... it helps a little.

Glad I learned so much from my bikesafe courses too, always pleasantly surprised when drivers behave!

igbell
01-09-09, 09:43 PM
Well glad that you are alright Iceman.....

Trevena
02-09-09, 12:54 PM
I need a louder one, the one on my poor old wreck is so pathetic... multi air horns might wake some of them up! Changed the one on my MZ (after it fell off) but for some reason not had to use it... maybe the bike is loud enough on its own LOL. Havig been hit by one of those "oh I didnt see you" people, I decided to go for louder bikes... it helps a little.

Glad I learned so much from my bikesafe courses too, always pleasantly surprised when drivers behave!

I've just fitted a Stebel Nautilus compact air horn 139db.
It's LOUD

Mark_Able
02-09-09, 04:12 PM
"Able Training",
I did use the horn.That's when he realised I was there! Infact I've beeped so much these last few months the horn packed up!lol. Fitted a new one from GW promptly!

Good man! If more people used it, we'd all have a chance of staying alive... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Roll_on
02-09-09, 05:53 PM
I agree use of the horn is a good tool to warn drivers of your presence it also wakes up other drivers to the possibility of a problem.

alanTDM
02-09-09, 06:01 PM
[/quote]

I've just fitted a Stebel Nautilus compact air horn 139db.
It's LOUD

[/quote]

Im waiting for my Stebel Magnum to arrive thats 136db but fits straight on the bike ,dont need a relay plus havent got much room to fit the Nautilus here's a link if one is interested in them http://www.nippynormans.com/HORNS-STEBEL/products/259/

Tiger_Jim
03-09-09, 06:32 PM
My horn is pathetic, it reminds me of the Pifco horn I had on my tricycle! I was thinking of fitting Stebel Nautilus compact air horn 139db but I can't find out what current it draws. I don't want any burnt wires or melted switches!

Does anyone know the current draw?

Trevena
03-09-09, 07:00 PM
Hi Jim, it draws 18 amps and comes with a relay. I connected sufficiently thick cable to the battery and the correct terminal on the relay via a 20 amp fuse. Then used the two wires from the original horn to switch the relay. Connected a lead from the switched power of the relay to the horn and grounded the negative horn connection.You just need to find if your bike uses a positive switched horn supply or negative. The silverwing is negative.

Full instruction come with the horn but you might need a magnifying glass to read them, I did. Something to do with not wearing boxing gloves to bed when I was a lad apparently.

Bob

Tiger_Jim
03-09-09, 09:59 PM
Top answer Bob, many thanks.