PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else bored at home?

Scotty
06-01-10, 10:47 AM
Ho hum, no getting to work for me today...

The site where I'm contracted out closed on the afternoon of the Monday before Christmas due to snow, and on the Tuesday I drove in without too much difficulty to find that it remained closed to all but essential staff. On the Wednessday I called the travel advice number to hear that it remained essential staff only, so I had an extra couple of days off before Crimbo :)

This morning I awoke to double the amount of snow we had before, eventually got through to the travel hotline to be told "site remains open for normal activities to those staff who can travel in safety" - not too ambivalent eh? :-? I decided to have a go, but couldn't even get off the estate, so gave it up as a bad job and came home (though I'm sure I could have made it on the dirt bike...)

I'm passing the time writing up my professional report towards chartership with the IMechE, and checking on here now and then.. oh, and re-lighting the boiler because the pilot light keeps going out, despite British Gas having been out to it about 6 times in the last 2 months... grrrr! >:(

What about the rest of you, anyone else stuck at home? :(

aprillia_dave
06-01-10, 11:09 AM
yes stuck at home , took wife to work in 4*4, now down loading xmas cds into itune so can upload to ipod looking foreward to first rideout in jan may go to chedder and have a mug of tea in the cafe wonderful!

Uber Dave
06-01-10, 11:16 AM
Same here, sat about doing very little at the moment. Although Santa saw fit to give me a couple of PS3 games so I am sure they will come in quite handy today!

Roll_on
06-01-10, 11:29 AM
Well cetainly no work for me unless anyone wants to try landscape maintenance in this weather. We have about 6ins of snow and nothing is moving near my place.

Bonnielass
06-01-10, 11:46 AM
I would have gone to work but was told not too, just being bored at home now! ::)

Roll_on
06-01-10, 12:13 PM
I suppose we could all go and clean our bikes.

Davey
06-01-10, 12:15 PM
I walked to work to be told they're shutting for the day - done a few bits in the office and back home

Now ready for a hour or 2 of Wii fit then off to the farm on the quads :)

Hazel-nut
06-01-10, 12:46 PM
i was meant to be working at centre parcs today opening up the sweet shop but decided it wasnt a good idea to go in after seeing i would have had to dig out my car! :P
yesterday when i was in they were asking staff if they could stay the night on village because they knew people wouldnt make it in but i didnt really want to stay! :P
I have heard that people who have gone in today are having to park in the main car park rather than the staff ones and if you know centre parcs at all you will know how long a walk it is from the main car park to the sports complex right at the other end of the village!quite glad i didnt go in really!(not that i would have had to walk that far as the shop is quite close to the car park) i might not have made it back out again tho if the weatherman/woman is telling the truth and its going to get worse :-/

at least i have managed to get some of my essays done and started my revision for my exam on tuesday!that if i can get bk to stoke on monday :-/

FJ_Biker
06-01-10, 01:03 PM
Only about an inch an a half of snow in Chippenham so my journey into work was clear, even if I did sin and take the tin box

Dabz
06-01-10, 01:13 PM
I'm stuck at home but got plenty of work to do - luckily I have full access to the network at work so doesnt make much difference whether I'm there or at home

BB
06-01-10, 01:21 PM
I walked in to work this morning - the only one in my team to make it. Strange how all the bosses are 'working at home' today.

Ghost looked out the window at 5.30 this morning and decided not to go in (he works at Fawley) so I suspect he is working in the garage. Or he might have sneaked off with a pal as they were talking about going sledging last night!

BB

Kevinb
06-01-10, 01:48 PM
You are all rubbing it in >:(

Got into work at about 8.30 and still here. They are talking about leaving early though.
Thought my 4x4 was bedded in on the drive this morning. Couldn't move forwards or backwards until I realised I had left the handbrake on. I blame it on the cold. :D

No sandwich round and no canteen open. I did offer to let some of the starving office staff have my sandwiches, but they thought £10 per sandwich was a bit steep. ;D

Honda_Star
06-01-10, 06:07 PM
told not to go in today...will review it tomorrow

MadonBonJovi
06-01-10, 06:17 PM
I went in to work today :( decided to brave the dreaded public transport.

I completely agree with BB that it's strange that none of the bosses managed to get in. Funny that they can call in at 9.30 to "check" on who had managed to get in and thank us for braving the weather, but they can't get in and that they can work from home, yet if we couldn't get in we had to take leave or flexi. Talk about one rule for some >:(

Beamer
06-01-10, 06:53 PM
I was one of the ones who went into work today even though it meant walking (and it wasnt too pleasant either)....disabled/elderly/and any other person needing care or assistance still require that care no matter what the weather.....as the home I work at is in Trowbridge I have to make the effort as there are staff who are out of town and just cannot get there.... luckily we have a really dedicated staff team and out of all the staff due in this morning only 1 couldnt make it in..... some of us will ring in, even on days off to make sure the shift is covered to ensure the people we care for still have carers...and i shall be doing the same tomorrow and friday if the roads are too dodgey lol .....hope you all enjoyed your snow day.... i want one !!! lmao xx
;D ;D ;D ;D

R1chie
06-01-10, 08:04 PM
then off to the farm on the quads :)

Down to the what on the what? :D

Tell me more!

dedward
06-01-10, 08:43 PM
Bored at home!!!! Some of us still have to work >:(

Davey
06-01-10, 10:02 PM
then off to the farm on the quads :)

Down to the what on the what? :D

Tell me more!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/38/83035053_19f9dda160.jpg

this wasn't us as I haven't got the piccys yet but gives you an idea [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

R1chie
06-01-10, 10:03 PM
Must......have.......a.........go!!!

Davey
06-01-10, 10:19 PM

These are the ones we were using today Yamaha 660 Raptors - fooking quick!!!!

http://images04.olx.com/ui/1/74/18/11896618_1.jpg

Uber Dave
06-01-10, 10:48 PM

Like that a lot, how much does one of those bad boys go for?

Davey
06-01-10, 11:08 PM

Like that a lot, how much does one of those bad boys go for?

the new ones which are 700cc (I was using my mates older spare one)
Off-road only £5,500.00
Fully road-legal only £6,400.00

http://www.quadsuk.net/forums/quad-bike-sales-atv-sales/

Kevinb
07-01-10, 01:51 PM
Very nice looking quad, but at £6,400 just to much for my pockets

Davey
07-01-10, 02:41 PM
Very nice looking quad, but at £6,400 just to much for my pockets

still get used ones for a couple of grand - the biggest problem is thier size they're a nightmare to store and they will get nicked if kept outside

Geordie Stu
08-01-10, 01:00 PM
Unfortunatley, I work from home having full access the the companies network.

Girls driving me mad schools shut.

Geordie Stu
08-01-10, 01:03 PM
Certainly would love to get a Quad but a little too expensive, would consider a 2nd hand 1 road legal.

ZZR600Dude
08-01-10, 06:41 PM
Unfortunatley, I work from home having full access the the companies network.

Girls driving me mad schools shut.

me too, I also have access to company network (unfortunately) and stuck with a 4 year old, a 7year old and my 10 month old.

AAAH let me out, I want to sneak out and clean my bike

:'(

jonnydangerous
11-01-10, 03:18 PM
not me, went out nearly every day on the offroaders :-)
i live 1/4mile from salisbury plain and theres even a track to if about 100 yards away from my house.... :-)

Ryan is gonna post some pictures soon...

jaydee.

Jon_W
11-01-10, 03:46 PM
Only about an inch an a half of snow in Chippenham so my journey into work was clear, even if I did sin and take the tin box

Had great fun in the mini.... I wish all commutes could be that much fun and so free of traffic!!!

Got plenty of smiles sliding around.... and my commute in the snow was QUICKER than normal... result!! 8-)