PDA

View Full Version : Ladies Driving Challenge....anyone? 20th March

Honda_Star
26-01-10, 11:32 PM
I am considering taking part in this...any other ladies interested in getting a group together?

Get your heels on our wheels! Picture yourself behind the wheel of some of the most challenging and unusual vehicles you'll ever dream of driving - anything from a double decker bus, or a fire engine to a milk float or JCB!!!

http://www.mariecurie.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/A57808AA-47A0-44F9-81B6-D5CC9A820AEB/0/Feb09_WandWLadiesdriving_leaflet.pdf

It costs just £10 to register for the event, and all ladies are asked to raise £100 in sponsorship. Hopefully £30,000 will be raised, which will fund 1500 hours of nursing care for terminally ill patients in their own homes.

Marie Curie Cancer Care provides high quality nursing, totally free, to give terminally ill people the choice of dying at home supported by their families. In addition to providing highly-valued nursing care for the patient, Marie Curie Nurses are also there to give emotional support and advice to the family. Marie Curie Cancer Care depends on the generosity of the public and they really need your help [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Important note:-(Please note the link shows the wrong date on it for Wiltshire - please rest assured the event is on the 20th March and not September 5th)

Thorkill_The_Tall
27-01-10, 06:00 PM
I wouldn't mind having a go.
It is open to non-females, isn't it?

Bonnielass
27-01-10, 08:38 PM
I am definately interested. Let me know if you decide to do it and I'll get booked in and start raising some money!

Bonnielass
27-01-10, 08:40 PM
I think the answer to your question, Thorkill the Tall is in the heading! [smiley=wink.gif]

Uber Dave
27-01-10, 09:02 PM
They use my (well when I say "my" I mean in the respect I work in air traffic control there) airfield for this. I saw some of the vehicles last year turn up and have to say I wanted to have a go so so much!

Good way of raising money, and I am, sure if you all turned up on your bikes they would let you have a blast about too ;-) I know I make use of it when I go into work on the bike!

Thorkill_The_Tall
27-01-10, 09:17 PM
I think the answer to your question, Thorkill the Tall is in the heading! [smiley=wink.gif]
What is in a name?
They can call it whatever they wish (within reason) but I have an inkling they might have to conform to this:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Yourrightsandresponsibilities/DG_10014458

Ducatista
27-01-10, 09:54 PM
Ok I'll bite.....
Which section do you reckon it falls under??

* health and social care
* housing and property
* justice and the legal system
* learning and training
* shops and services
* transport working and earning

BTW - will you sponsor me ;)

Thorkill_The_Tall
27-01-10, 11:25 PM
Ok I'll bite.....

* health and social care
* housing and property
* learning and training
* shops and services

Obviously none of those, but I guess you already knew that.
I reckon it might be covered by this:

Sex and gender equality
Unlawful sex discrimination is when someone is treated unfairly because of their gender. Women, men and transsexual people can all experience sex discrimination.

In which case, it might be time to try a little of this:

Discrimination and your rights
The EHRC is responsible for upholding the rights of individuals and tackling instances of discrimination. The organisation Community Legal Advice has produced a leaflet that provides guidance on your rights and how you can challenge discrimination.

Anyway, why would I want to sponser an activity that is so blatantly discrimatory?

Just out of interest, aren't the administrators of this forum bound to remove posts that promote discrimination? ;)

R1chie
27-01-10, 11:42 PM
Just out of interest, aren't the administrators of this forum bound to remove posts that promote discrimination? ;)

Sometimes but mostly just posts which blatantly troll threads especially the threads for good causes.

Davey
28-01-10, 08:34 AM
Ok I'll bite.....

* health and social care
* housing and property
* learning and training
* shops and services

Obviously none of those, but I guess you already knew that.
I reckon it might be covered by this:

Sex and gender equality
Unlawful sex discrimination is when someone is treated unfairly because of their gender. Women, men and transsexual people can all experience sex discrimination.

In which case, it might be time to try a little of this:

Discrimination and your rights
The EHRC is responsible for upholding the rights of individuals and tackling instances of discrimination. The organisation Community Legal Advice has produced a leaflet that provides guidance on your rights and how you can challenge discrimination.

I do remember a man won the Miss Australia competition a few years back, and 2 of 3 finalists in Miss Harvard were men :D Opposing Sexual discrimnation at its best lol

Go on TTT contest it I dare you :D I'd even sponsor you if you got in [smiley=thumbsup.gif] As its for charity and of course that would be what they have as a best interest lol

Kevinb
28-01-10, 08:46 AM
I could enter, but I would probably end up looking like one of those 'ladies' off of the kitchen towel advert (you know the one) ;)

Ducatista
28-01-10, 08:51 AM
Anyway, why would I want to sponser an activity that is so blatantly discrimatory?

Because it's for a good cause and you should put that before your frankly pathetic personal issues.
Most people can see past it.

BTW - Just to make clear the legal situation.
It's perfectly OK for individuals to discriminate in a private capacity.
For example if I thorw a party I can decide to exlude trolls and miserable gits from my person party at my personal property.
That's entirely my decision.
The legislation is specific to public services, public transport etc. not to private parties.

If you really want to make a point you'd be better off doing it with good humour and making every one laugh
e.g. Apply and dress up like a woman like Matt Lucas or David Walliams do.

Otherwise in this world where women, elderly and ethnic minorties suffer discrimination, then as a young male, you just come across as a bit pathetic to be honest especially when the main objective is to raise money for a good cause.

You may be a little young to fully appreciate it, but there is a legacy of damage done by decades of discrimination and "things" need to be done to undo it. If that good work. means that young white, middle class males, miss out on something once in a blue moon then so be it - whopee do - be a man and DEAL with it. It's not that many decades ago that women did not have an equal footing in careers and in some areas still don't. You seem to have little understanding of discrimination and the damage it has done. This event is just a bit of fun, encouraging women and trying to raise some money fior a good cause. It's a sad day when someone so privileged and protected from discrimination can't stop being a miserable git, just for one day. Lighten up FFS.
BTW - You can't hit me - I'm a girl :P ;)

Ducatista
28-01-10, 08:53 AM
I could enter, but I would probably end up looking like one of those 'ladies' off of the kitchen towel advert

Exactly Kev.
You made me laugh - the right approach.

Perhaps the two of you can go together :)

Snowy
28-01-10, 10:13 AM

For example if I thorw a party I can decide to exlude trolls and miserable gits from my person party at my personal property.

Now I know why I have never been invited round yours then. :'(

All I can say is that for the first time in over 30 years of various careers, I have a female boss and she is the bestest boss ever... creep creep. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Thorkill_The_Tall
28-01-10, 04:50 PM

Because it's for a good cause and you should put that before your frankly pathetic personal issues.

The legislation is specific to public services, public transport etc. not to private parties.

If you really want to make a point you'd be better off doing it with good humour and making every one laugh

Otherwise in this world where women, elderly and ethnic minorties suffer discrimination, then as a young male, you just come across as a bit pathetic to be honest especially when the main objective is to raise money for a good cause.

You may be a little young to fully appreciate it, but there is a legacy of damage done by decades of discrimination and "things" need to be done to undo it. If that good work. means that young white, middle class males, miss out on something once in a blue moon then so be it - whopee do - be a man and DEAL with it. It's not that many decades ago that women did not have an equal footing in careers and in some areas still don't. You seem to have little understanding of discrimination and the damage it has done. This event is just a bit of fun, encouraging women and trying to raise some money fior a good cause. It's a sad day when someone so privileged and protected from discrimination can't stop being a miserable git, just for one day. Lighten up FFS.

Sir, thank you for your candid reply, but you really do not know enough about myself to voice your assumptions.

As a mixed race, albino, trans-sexual restricted height person, who has an Irish accent and a lisp who has recently converted to Islam, I have probably experienced more discrimination during the last half an hour than a any white, middle class inhabitant of a small provincial town has been subjected to in an entire lifetime.
Additionally, as partly of Finno-Ugric extraction, I must object strongly to being accused of being a troll, as this is as objectionable in my culture as it might be for someone to call a Scot, Welsh.

Just for the record, I applaud the hard work of Marie Curieand I regularly donate to the charity. I just think that in the 21st century, we might have begun to move away such from blatant gender discrimination.

I wish the event the best of luck and look forward to next year’s sponsored Jew baiting in support of cancer relief charities.

Ducatista
28-01-10, 05:22 PM
I just think that in the 21st century, we might have begun to move away such from blatant gender discrimination.

I honestly don't think anyone would stop you taking part if you dressed up and raised some money. I think they'd take it in good humour.
I would certainly take it in good humour if any men turned up on our ladies rideouts providing they weren't trying to spoil the event.

As for the abolition of discrimination.
No chance.
You will continue to be (legally) discriminated against on your bike insurance on a gender basis.

Snowy
28-01-10, 06:55 PM

Sir, thank you for your candid reply, but you really do not know enough about myself to voice your assumptions.

As a mixed race, albino, trans-sexual restricted height person, who has an Irish accent and a lisp who has recently converted to Islam, I have probably experienced more discrimination during the last half an hour than a any white, middle class inhabitant of a small provincial town has been subjected to in an entire lifetime.
Additionally, as partly of Finno-Ugric extraction, I must object strongly to being accused of being a troll, as this is as objectionable in my culture as it might be for someone to call a Scot, Welsh.

Just for the record, I applaud the hard work of Marie Curieand I regularly donate to the charity. I just think that in the 21st century, we might have begun to move away such from blatant gender discrimination.

I wish the event the best of luck and look forward to next year’s sponsored Jew baiting in support of cancer relief charities.

No, no, no you are wrong Sir.

She really really really is ........................... a girl!

I'm up for dressing up and going out for a rideout with the girls. ;D

Come on JD, Rinsky - nows your chance. ;)