PDA

View Full Version : Our Small Amble (!)

Nokesy
28-04-10, 06:39 PM
Sean (Finbar) and I have decided to go for a small amble (!) from Ilfracombe to Bulford as part of Project 65 - on foot not bikes! ;D This is 131 miles and will mean walking 5 marathons over 5 days! And some of the routes are over pretty arduous terrain! :o

Therefore, our plea on here is that you visit our Just Giving charity page and donate a few quid for our cause which is to help 6 organisations whom support wounded ex-service personnel and bereaved families. This is part of a large organised Forces March which they hope will become an Annual Event.

We are hoping the big man is looking down on us and gives us nice weather as we are camping in between! ::)

Here is weblink http://www.justgiving.com/Gemma-Sean

Please guys, dig deep! We'll post some pictures of our blisters in return! ;D

Dabz
28-04-10, 07:07 PM
wow that's a hell of a challenge! good luck to you both :)

Gerry
28-04-10, 07:18 PM
Very impressed...

I did a couple of 26 mile walks when a lot younger but five in a row is more then tough !
Are we taking bets on who will cross the line first, you or Sean, I figure you have longer legs, but I recon Sean is a bit of of a dark horse 8-)

If you want some company for a day (only one you understand) let me know and I'll bring some plasters, red bull and a car ;D

Well done both, will donate.

Linky: http://www.forcesmarch.org.uk/

G

Nokesy
28-04-10, 07:31 PM
Very impressed...

I did a couple of 26 mile walks when a lot younger but five in a row is more then tough !
Are we taking bets on who will cross the line first, you or Sean, I figure you have longer legs, but I recon Sean is a bit of of a dark horse 8-)

If you want some company for a day (only one you understand) let me know and I'll bring some plasters, red bull and a car ;D

Well done both, will donate.

Linky: http://www.forcesmarch.org.uk/

G

Thankyou Gerry - you'll hopefully get the ball rolling!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Only just set up the page!

The plasters will be very welcome, the Red Bull will make me want to run it and then collapse and die and the car is just too tempting! ;D

You could bring us a couple of steak 'n' chips along though - the menu they are serving us looks like porridge for breakfast every day, pasta for dinner and roadside weeds during the day!! :( Unless you are organised and take something with you of course! Sean and I hoped we could stop off at a pub for lunch but it looks like it really is a 'Forces March'! ;D Definitely no taking it easy! ;D

Let's hope our support vehicle have some goodies! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] I know they are going to stash a demi-john of my homebrew wine for us though! God, how welcome will that be after 26 miles!! ;D

Bonnielass
28-04-10, 07:50 PM
Good luck to both of you, I like a walk but that's just silly!! I'll definately sponsor you but I'll give you the money in person if that's ok.

BB
28-04-10, 09:01 PM
Done! But I still think you are mad! :o

BB

finbar
28-04-10, 09:11 PM
Did I agree to this?...seemed like a good idea at the time but looking at the walk profile I am going to have to start working out.

I fear Noksey with those long old pins of hers might totally 'bitch slap' me...on this walk...I fear I might be coming up the rear...what! :-?

Thanks for the help Gerry...I will need all the help I can get. I was hoping it could turn into a mega/uber pub crawl but I think there will only be time for crawling! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nokesy
28-04-10, 09:15 PM
Did I agree to this?...seemed like a good idea at the time but looking at the walk profile I am going to have to start working out.

I fear Noksey with those long old pins of hers might totally 'bitch slap' me...on this walk...I fear I might be coming up the rear...what! :-?

Thanks for the help Gerry...I will need all the help I can get. I was hoping it could turn into a mega/uber pub crawl but I think there will only be time for crawling! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Lol! It's called 'bringing up the rear' Sean!! ;D ;D ;D The only place we'll be coming is last! ;D

finbar
28-04-10, 09:32 PM
At least I will have company. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] ;D

Nokesy
04-05-10, 08:51 PM
We've had 3 very generous donations from WB - thankyou - what about the rest of you? Just a couple of quid would really help our cause....... [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Please...................... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

finbar
05-05-10, 11:37 AM
Heres the deal Roxy, Nico-Babe, I will agree to not talk to you for a week for a donation...that must be worth a lot? [smiley=thumbsup.gif] ;D

Nokesy
06-05-10, 06:23 PM
Have just found out we are number 20 in the top fundraisers list! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Our total now stands at £395 plus Gift Aid monies - big thankyou to all who have donated - am really chuffed! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Still time for the rest of you to give a few pennies.............. :)

Jacde
06-05-10, 06:32 PM
That's great news, fingers crossed you'll get into the top 10 at least! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nico_babe
06-05-10, 07:59 PM
There you go Finbar........... Now keep your promise. It was a week you said right???

Nokesy........ you are very brave. All the best. Will be waiting at the Sally with a cold one for you when your done [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nokesy
06-05-10, 08:24 PM
There you go Finbar........... Now keep your promise. It was a week you said right???

Nokesy........ you are very brave. All the best. Will be waiting at the Sally with a cold one for you when your done [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Cheers! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Can you also be waiting with a portable foot spa, some emergency life-saving equipment for Sean after I've throttled him halfway round and some method to knock some sense into me to not sign up for anything quite so stupid ever again?! ;D Ta! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

R1chie
06-05-10, 08:28 PM
If I'm around at the time, I'll try and make it down to catch you at the finish line and clap you in.

Maybe a one man mexican wave if you're lucky ;)

Good luck

Nico_babe
06-05-10, 08:32 PM

Cheers! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Can you also be waiting with a portable foot spa, some emergency life-saving equipment for Sean after I've throttled him halfway round and some method to knock some sense into me to not sign up for anything quite so stupid ever again?! ;D Ta! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Im really hoping the safety equipment will not be needed for Sean............... so Im hoping you will do a good job of the throttling. If you find that hard, i hear rat poisoning shouldnt take too long if he is walking at a steady pace [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
only kidding Finbar ::)

Nokesy
06-05-10, 08:55 PM
If I'm around at the time, I'll try and make it down to catch you at the finish line and clap you in.

Good luck

For you and anyone else who is interested the 'finish line' is The Forces Festival, Garrison Sports Field, Double Hedges, Bulford, Wiltshire, SP4 9PA - guessing it will not be until early evening as have a marathon to walk that day! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Also, our support crew fella has other commitments that night so we will need a lift back to Trowbridge / Calne afterwards with all our kit if anyone is at a loose end and wants a laugh at the state of us! ;D

Please don't anyone suggest we walk home! :(

R1chie
06-05-10, 09:00 PM

Good luck

For you and anyone else who is interested the 'finish line' is The Forces Festival, Garrison Sports Field, Double Hedges, Bulford, Wiltshire, SP4 9PA - guessing it will not be until early evening as have a marathon to walk that day! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Also, our support crew fella has other commitments that night so we will need a lift back to Trowbridge / Calne afterwards with all our kit if anyone is at a loose end and wants a laugh at the state of us! ;D

Please don't anyone suggest we walk home! :(

I know the place well. A nice little hill for you to finish at :)

Remind me of the date of when you are due to finish. If I'm around I might be able to give you a lift back.

Nokesy
06-05-10, 09:03 PM
Bank Holiday - May 31st! Nice to know we finish with another bloody hill!! Thanks! ;D

R1chie
06-05-10, 09:07 PM
It's only hilly till you get to the pitches ;)

I maybe back up in the Toon that weekend so I can't go firm on that lift just yet. I'll know more in the next week or so.

Jacde
06-05-10, 09:17 PM
I'm due to work nights that night ( another b/h and I'm working >:( )
If I can I'll see if I can get a late start and then I'll be able to cheer you home and then shove you both in my mini and take you home, tho hopefully you might get more offers of lifts with any luck.
I'm on nights tomorrow so should know if I can be there on the 31st

Nokesy
06-05-10, 09:48 PM
I'm due to work nights that night ( another b/h and I'm working >:( )
If I can I'll see if I can get a late start and then I'll be able to cheer you home and then shove you both in my mini and take you home, tho hopefully you might get more offers of lifts with any luck.
I'm on nights tomorrow so should know if I can be there on the 31st

Thankyou Jackie! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

finbar
06-05-10, 09:55 PM
Thanks Jackie you are a star! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] XXX

Jacde
06-05-10, 09:58 PM
Well wait till tomorrow before you say that, if peeps already booked off I could struggle to make it. :-/

Nokesy
06-05-10, 10:02 PM
It's only hilly till you get to the pitches ;)

I maybe back up in the Toon that weekend so I can't go firm on that lift just yet. I'll know more in the next week or so.

Richie might be able too! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Don't think we need to worry too much just yet - both my brothers owe me anyway I'm sure! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Kevinb
07-05-10, 01:35 PM
Do you have to walk back to Ilfracombe afterwards to pick your bikes up. ;D

Jacde
08-05-10, 01:38 AM
[smiley=thumbsup.gif]I can make 31st and if no one else offers I can take you both home, just so long as it's before 02:30 as that's when I've got to be in work by :o :-?

Nokesy
08-05-10, 11:28 AM
Thank you! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] You're an absolute star!! :)

Thankyou to other offers in the making too - was good of you to consider it [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Thanks to Jackie it looks like we are sorted. :)

finbar
10-05-10, 11:36 AM
Cheers hun! :-* [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Nokesy
16-05-10, 01:38 PM
Thanks to all those who have donated to 'our small amble' [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Amazingly, (with Gift Aid) we have so far raised over £800 which is just outstanding. :) Big thankyou! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

LastTrain - here is the planned route for our burger pit-stops!

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-kingdom/ilfracombe-to-bulford/306127356613730386

BB
17-05-10, 12:16 PM
Good to hear the fund raising is going well! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

Kevinb
17-05-10, 01:21 PM
Sorry didn't get the the Black Horse Friday. Will you have your sponsorship form with you next Friday?

Kev+Pat

Nokesy
17-05-10, 02:19 PM
Might not be there this Friday but you can sign up after the event anyhow! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Rich wants to put himself down for 50p too - he thought long and hard when I suggested 'per mile' - the realisation on his face when his brain had worked the maths out was priceless! ;D

Last Train
20-05-10, 10:37 PM
Thanks to all those who have donated to 'our small amble' [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Amazingly, (with Gift Aid) we have so far raised over £800 which is just outstanding. :) Big thankyou! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

LastTrain - here is the planned route for our burger pit-stops!

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-kingdom/ilfracombe-to-bulford/306127356613730386

8-)

I hope the trainings going well.

Nokesy
22-05-10, 10:46 AM
Just in case anyone's holding back on sponsorship because it is only 131 miles - just discovered it's actually 132.5! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB
22-05-10, 04:41 PM
Heavens - will you be able to manage the extra distance? Will you need more training? :o

BB

Nokesy
22-05-10, 10:06 PM
Could be touch and go....... 131 miles I was comfortable with, 132.5 - now I'm scared! ;D

Will need an extra burger LastTrain! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nokesy
25-05-10, 09:29 PM
Off tomorrow........ nervous now :-? Grand total raised (with Gift Aid) - massive sum of.............. £1062!!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Thanks to all who have given!!

If you see me en route whilst out biking - give me a wave!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BTW, Sean isn't taking part anymore so going it alone (well, not exactly alone as there will be about 100 other folk taking part) but if anyone sponsored 'us' and want all / half their donation back - just let me know! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jacde
25-05-10, 09:32 PM
Well done on the amount you've raised and good luck too!
See you at Bulford [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Toph
25-05-10, 10:16 PM
Well done Gemma, wishing you the best of luck on the challenge ahead. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

HensonA
25-05-10, 10:29 PM
...the very best of luck Gemma and hey...you keep my donation for sure...you're going to get through to the end.!!!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Ade

R1chie
25-05-10, 11:08 PM
Won't be able to make it to the finish point to meet you but best of luck with the walk. I'm sure you'll....erm....walk it ;D

Bonnielass
26-05-10, 08:52 AM
All the very best Gemma, have a great time! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nico_babe
26-05-10, 09:12 AM
Will be thinking of you. You can do it !!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Gerry
26-05-10, 09:52 AM
All the very best Gemma, have a nice night tonight and good luck for the next five days.
See you on Monday [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Gerry

BB
26-05-10, 01:24 PM
Hope all goes well Gemma, and hope the weather is kind to you - not too hot or wet etc!

My money was on you anyway! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB