PDA

View Full Version : Gemma's walk.

Toph
26-05-10, 10:00 PM
Any one know how Gemma did today, hope she's doing well and not too many blisters.

bobf279
26-05-10, 10:12 PM
First day tomorrow I think

Toph
26-05-10, 10:21 PM
Is it Bob? I think I jumped the gun a bit!! :-[

Jacde
26-05-10, 10:37 PM
Yep, she starts tomorrow @ 10:00, I've told her about WB's chatting about her on the site and she's chuffed to bits with everyones support. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Toph
26-05-10, 10:58 PM
Jacde, Gemma's an inspiration to us all!! GO FOR IT GIRL!!!!

Jacde
27-05-10, 01:17 PM
Toph, told Gemma what you'd posted, this is her reply :)
Nice message from toph! :-) Had cooked breakie and jacuzzi this morning - cold showers and roughing it from now on! X

BB
27-05-10, 05:03 PM
She's mad! :P

BB

Jacde
27-05-10, 06:58 PM
Lol Yup, not sure if she's barking like me tho, I'm doing a 500k cycle ride in Kenya next year GULP! :o
I'm doing my best to avoid the men in white coats ;D

Toph
27-05-10, 09:56 PM
Nice message from toph! :-) Had cooked breakie and jacuzzi this morning - cold showers and roughing it from now on! X
thanks for that Jac, hope she got on well on the first day, [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jacde
27-05-10, 10:18 PM
thanks for that Jac, hope she got on well on the first day, [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

No worries, I've just got home from another stint out on the bike and not heard from Gemma, if I do I'll keep you posted. :)

Gerry
27-05-10, 11:06 PM
Nothing here... :-?

She should be camped right in the middle of Exmoor tonight so the phone signal may be crappy.

Either that or she turned right and followed some random rambler into Cornwall ;D ;D ;D

bobf279
27-05-10, 11:40 PM
Gone to Gemmaland maybe :)

Roll_on
28-05-10, 11:02 AM
Hope Gemma is doing well and her feet hold out.

Toph
28-05-10, 08:54 PM
Two days down,she'll soon be halfway, then she'll be on the home run. If you're reading this Gemma, well done, keep pushing on,Monday evening you'll feel on top of the world! :) [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nokesy
29-05-10, 05:49 PM
Gonna cry again now reading all your support :'(

Very sad and disappointed to say the least - have had to pull out as feet were ruined. :'( Advised not to walk but even without this advice I could not have done another step. That was by far the hardest thing I have EVER done. Walked the 1st day - 27.8 miles of mainly hills and it took me 9hr 41 mins. I was last and would not have finished at all if it wasn't for some army lads that got me through. Cried on and off for about the last 8 miles and got so cold towards the end my brain went. The lads told the organisers I was shot away!! Delirious Gemmaland this time me thinks!! ;D

Met some wonderful people, all who are hardcore marathon walkers / runners - one lady completed her 150th on Thursday! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] I shall still be going to Bulford to cheer them all in as I now know how tough this challenge is and have nothing but respect and admiration for them all. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

This challenge was a bit beyond me, but it's an Annual Event so there's always next year! Although, right now, with the pain in my feet, knee and hips and complete exhaustion, I never want to walk anywhere ever again! :(

As only completed 1 out of the 5 if anyone would like their sponsorship money back just let me know.

And Gerry, yes I did nearly follow a random rambler in Ilfracombe, but got shouted at that I was going the wrong way and turned round! ;D

Jacde
29-05-10, 05:58 PM
I don't want my money back, full of admiration for you girl, [smiley=thumbsup.gif] been there done it know what it's like, and I didn't have another 4 days in front of me either!
Well done for putting yourself in that suitation, many wouldn't even contemplate it.
If you do it next year let me know and I'll gladly train with you, but can't do walk as I'm commited (yep I should be ;D ) to my own charity event next year, 500km cycle ride in 5 days in Kenya!

Please don't tell the men in white coats where I live ::) :o

Honda_Star
29-05-10, 05:59 PM
awww - well done lass for what you did - I couldn't have managed a mile!

You should be proud of yourself. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Ryan
29-05-10, 05:59 PM
I think fair play to you for even trying it, you done very well and should be proud [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

And as for never wanting to walk anywhere again, thats what your bikes for :D x

Nico_babe
29-05-10, 06:20 PM
Well done girl. You did GREAT! We are all so proud of you xxxxx

Toph
29-05-10, 06:30 PM
Well done Gemma, as everyone has already said, you showed great courage and commitment just to contemplate this mammoth challenge. you tried your best Gemma, you can't possibly do better than that. you've certainly got lots of spirit and I admire you for that.
best wishes , we're all very proud of you. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bonnielass
29-05-10, 07:04 PM
I can only add my heart felt agreement to all thats been said before. Good on you for giving it your best shot. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Gerry
29-05-10, 07:13 PM
You did your best (well your feets best) and nobody could ask for more Gemma.

As I said earlier, 26 miles in a day is more tham most people do ever, so hats off to you.

See you soon.

G x

SBQE2
29-05-10, 07:14 PM
Well done for trying something which is more than most ever do, you should be proud of your effort [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB
29-05-10, 07:23 PM
Well done Gemma, we are all proud of you. No way I could have done anything like it! I'm supposed to be doing Race for Life this summer and thats far enough at only a few km.

Obviously you are disapointed but keep smiling. You keep my pledge money, you deserve it girl [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

Beamer
29-05-10, 08:25 PM
WELL DONE GEMMA.....you gave it your best and thats brilliant.........you got out there n gave it a go...good on you flower.....be proud of yourself cos we all are xxxxx

[smiley=thumbsup.gif] ;D

Roll_on
30-05-10, 12:11 AM
Very well done Gemma you did so well, it took guts to even attempt this walk let alone get as far as you did. Hope your feet soon feel better.

Lorraine
30-05-10, 12:23 AM
well done Gemma [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nokesy
30-05-10, 11:10 AM
Thanks guys for all your support - feeling bit better now! :)

RedSoul
30-05-10, 03:38 PM
Well done Gemma...thought you were bonkers even to try it

Nokesy
31-05-10, 09:06 PM
Went down to the finish today to watch them all come in - many injured, but what a courageous bunch of people! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Hats off to them all! :)

One guy ran them all in under 3.5hrs finishing first every day :o About 20 people dropped out in all and one guy had 21 infected blisters by the end of day 3 when he was forced to stop. One girl had only run 15 miles prior to this event and ran all 5 marathons although looked like she might lose the top of her toe by the finish :( Interestingly, everyone headed straight for the ice-cream van after the finish line! ;D Although Guiness and cider came a close second! ;D

The spirit and camaraderie of everyone was incredible and if anyone needs inspiration in life then these guys / gals are the ones that give it [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB
31-05-10, 09:45 PM
Heroes or head cases? :o Well done to all [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

Toph
31-05-10, 09:51 PM
Good to know you were there to cheer 'em all in Gemma. I expect you made some good friends, especially the ones who helped you . You should all be very proud. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]