PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Sat Nav

amills
01-06-10, 10:51 PM
Bought myself a sat nav as a trip back-up to hardcopy maps.

Found out the Gamin (Nuvi) model only allows one 'via' waypoint. However if you invest in the Garmin Mapsource Trip and Waypoint Manager [PC] software you're supposed to be able to plan routes with multiple waypoints and upload routes from other route mapping tools, e.g, Tyre (primarily designed for Tom Tom but can be used for Garmin).

So ..... invested in Garmins PC software and have been able to create a route in Tyre and upload it to the Garmin PC app. (and is displayed same as in Tyre program - looks really cool). Problem is, when I download route to sat nav, PC says routes been transferred but sat nav won't display route (its supposed to appear in Favourites). I've tried creating simple route using Garmin software and it does transfer to sat nav Favourites option, so PC software and sat nav are talking to one another. I've also tried saving with different file extensions to no avail, i.e. files transfer to sat nav but can't be accessed.

The Tyre program is really simple to use (unlike the US Garmin PC route planner) so am persevering to find a solution.

HELP !

Aaron

hotdog
02-06-10, 12:54 AM
I don't have any experience of Nuvi's, only Zumos (as they're waterproof) but it's possible, once you've transferred the route to the Nuvi that you then have to go into user data and import it on the actual unit. I also though don't have any experience of Tyre so not sure what MapSource will be doing with the data when it imports it from that. However, if it shows it as a route (listed in the left hand Routes panel in Mapsource) then it should transfer across as any other route.

Did you buy this unit new? If so it should have come with Mapsource already. Also, you shouldn't have to do anything in any other software to plan a route. You can do it all there and then in MapSource and then view (and ride) in Google Earth if you want to.

One thing to note if planning a route in Mapsource and you want to put viapoints in it, it's always best to plot the via points at road junctions. You know when the via point is over a road junction because the little box under the cursor pointer is white (not black)... this isn't documented.

Regards,

amills
02-06-10, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the input.

With reference to your comment:- "into user data and import it on the actual unit"; any suggestion where I find this on the unit as there's no obvious "tab". Or do you mean access the unit via the PC then do an import to unit.

Having got a route into Mapsource with no issues I also thought the transfer to unit would be straightforward. I'm usually pretty techie savvie and but this one haas me foxed

Aaron.

CBRowner
02-06-10, 02:45 PM
It sounds like you're trying to open an unrecognised software on your sat nav.

It'll let you transfer it but you're software won't understand it's binary code and therefore won't be able to run it but will know it's there.

If it has an SD card slot, you can get a software that allows you to run any software on it. You can find them in places like Pirates Bay or even torrent it.

Failing that, you could always set your route up at every stop you make :D