PDA

View Full Version : car electrics

Hazel-nut
30-06-10, 03:38 PM
after my cd player was flickering on and off i had it 'fixed' and was fine - apart from not being wired into the battery instead of the ignition - until i left the car for a week and the battery went flat!the guy who fixed it is adament that isnt what is causing the battery to drain but its a bit of a coincedence it happened not long after he fitted a new power supply to my cd player.

dabz pulled it out last week and it looks like the live wire is plugged straight to the battery but when i took it back to the garage he said it was the memory wire and he can take that out but then it wont remember my radio stations.im not convinced of this but have given up arguing with him.

getting to the point...i was just wondering if anyone on her would be able to take a look at it and sort it or if you know of anywhere which has a good reputation for electricals

the lack of music in my car is starting to annoy me as i have to listen to all the rattling which im convinced is getting worse :P

silly_simon
30-06-10, 04:26 PM
Hazel
The memory wire should be YELLOW and the permanent live should be RED and wired to a switched live IE your ignition etc

Does your car wiring have plugs on them or are they bare wire's ??

If they have plugs then it is a simple fix otherwise its a bit of a pain but doable [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Hazel-nut
30-06-10, 04:31 PM
its a red wire going to the battery but there is more than 1 red wire and i have no idea which 1 is which hehe

by plugs if you mean the black bits which go into the back of the cd player then yeh it has plugs

silly_simon
30-06-10, 04:40 PM
Is there plugs/sockets on the wires at the opposite end to the radio if that makes sense ?

Hazel-nut
30-06-10, 05:36 PM
yeh there is! i had to buy an adaptor thing from halfords so the cd player would fit in but it has been bodged a little bit to put the wire to the battery! to make an understatement they didnt do a very good job! >:(

pilninggas
30-06-10, 06:33 PM
if want someone to come and see if they can sort it out, im happy too if plenty is tea provided.

silly_simon
30-06-10, 06:41 PM
As above it really needs to be seen to make a more informed view of how to fix it [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

CBRowner
30-06-10, 07:33 PM
Sometimes you have to switch the memory and the live wire over.

It all depends on the make of the stereo and the make of the car.

If you'd like, I can have a look on Friday at the BH or even some time this week after I've finished work. Both will suit me or pm me and I'll give you my number [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I've done a few stereos so I know what I'm doing [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Hazel-nut
30-06-10, 10:10 PM
Thanks for all the offers for help but will have to wait until I'm not working evenings to find a day when 1 of you is available!

I knew I could count on Wiltshire bikers people to help me out :D