PDA

View Full Version : Speed humps in the Shires, Trowbridge

Kevinb
11-12-09, 09:01 AM
As some of you local to Trowbridge will know the 'Shires' management have put dangerous speed humps in the enterance and exit to the Shires car park. I originally wrote to the Wiltshire Times a few weeks back to complain that they are dangerous for motorcyclists. Since then car drivers have come forward complaining.
I am going to keep on until these are removed and hopefully it will be before someone gets seriously injured or dies.

Please sent your complaints to wtimes@newswilts.co.uk and join the Facebook group against them.

Cheers Kev >:(

Beamer
12-12-09, 05:44 PM
just another little point to add about those godforsaken humps (and the height thingy's across the top).....i drive a minibus for disabled and the changes to the access to the shires have made it impossible for the wheelchair users i assist to shop and park near to asda.......some very clever person who has tunnel vision (and only drives a car obviously) has decided to do these alterations without a single thought to anyone other than car drivers (altho i have heard plenty of car drivers complaining too)....letter on the wat to wiltshire times too......although i feel complaints should really go to the company who actually organised the blinking things in the first place.......grrrrrr

>:(

bobf279
12-12-09, 09:38 PM
sent my email

Kevinb
22-12-09, 05:19 PM
I started a Facebook group against these 'speed' humps' and now have nearly 600 members. Everyone's complaining about the things and some now shopping in Tesco rather than their usual Asda.

Hazel-nut
23-12-09, 10:33 AM
i went over these bumps twice at the weekend and now understand why everyone is making such a fuss!they are horrible in a car so cant imagine going over them on a bike!thats if you can actually get a bike over them!i cant belive some actually thought they were a good idea!

Geordie Stu
23-12-09, 10:50 AM
I think the muppet whose idea it wa is leaving in January so any luck the successor will remove them :)

What say yee Kev any developemnts?

Robf
24-12-09, 01:32 PM
i've been over them on a bike but requires some good slow control

alanTDM
26-12-09, 08:05 PM
I went to shires today and i had no problems with the speed bumps.

Kevinb
29-12-09, 08:46 AM
Still not nice. I had a phone call on the 23rd from the manager in Asda saying he had received my e-mail (and lots of others) and they had been passed on to their property department and they think they can help to get rid of them as their lease is up for renewal soon.
(Funny thing is when he rang we were shopping in Tesco's!)

Kevinb
07-01-10, 02:07 PM
Facebook group against them now has over 950 members with people writing complaints to the Shire's management, Asda (to say they will no longer shop there) and the Wiltshire Times.

Geordie Stu
13-01-10, 10:11 AM
Kev your Facebook campaign has made the Wiltshire times.

http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/4840861.We_ve_got_the_hump_in_Trowbridge/

Kevinb
13-01-10, 01:44 PM
Yep & I'm not giving up until they remove them. I've certainly got the hump. >:( There are now 1050 people on Facebook and I had a phone call from a chap who said what about all the people without internet access who wish to voice there concerns. I have asked the Wiltshire Times if they can put a section in on posting any comments to me at home and I will add to Facebook or e-mail the Shire's management.

Geordie Stu
13-01-10, 01:49 PM
If you are succesful in getting them removed, good start to your political career, where next 10 dowing street or major of Trowbridge ;D

Kevinb
13-01-10, 05:04 PM
10 Downing Street. Can I put in an expense claim for another bike, a second home to keep it in and hire someone to clean it. ;D
I could go for Mayor of Trovegas. Can you get ceremonial chain lube?

Geordie Stu
13-01-10, 05:47 PM
Then as Major your 1st duty should be to ban all speed bumps & give bikers the freedom of Trowbridge [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Kevinb
14-01-10, 08:56 AM
Fill in the potholes, ban speed humps, bring back smoking in pubs, free beer vouchers for Trowbridge people and have roads on weekends just for bikes.

igbell
14-01-10, 10:27 AM
Sounds good apart from the smoking in pubs bit...

Kevinb
14-01-10, 01:38 PM
I work for a pub company and the smoking ban was one big nail in the coffin. I agree that food led pubs should not allow smoking, but wet led it should be down to the lanlord/landlady.
People bleated at the time that if they wanted to go out for a meal (probably only once a month) that they shouldn't be subjected to a smokey atmosphere. I agree. I smoke and I wouldn't want it when I was eating. It has killed the trade though in the traditional 'drinkers' pubs.
Darren. If you read this. Has it affected your trade?

bobf279
26-01-10, 09:15 PM
Looks like they have agreed to some adjustments to the speed bumps, removed the one to the underground parking and reduced the size of the ones on the top level

Hazel-nut
20-07-10, 05:01 PM
I still think they need to be got rid of or made wider so it's nit such a sharp bump-does that make sense? I went over them earlier and my suspension is already on it's way out so bouncing over those really isn't helping!I know there are other places to park in Trowbridge but I'm not a big fan of the multi story as I have trouble parking in there - no jokes about female drivers please :P

Nokesy
21-07-10, 01:16 PM
just another little point to add about those godforsaken humps (and the height thingy's across the top).....i drive a minibus for disabled and the changes to the access to the shires have made it impossible for the wheelchair users i assist to shop and park near to asda.......some very clever person who has tunnel vision (and only drives a car obviously) has decided to do these alterations without a single thought to anyone other than car drivers (altho i have heard plenty of car drivers complaining too)....letter on the wat to wiltshire times too......although i feel complaints should really go to the company who actually organised the blinking things in the first place.......grrrrrr

>:(

Surely this reason alone should be enough to make them remove them - Disability Discrimination Act? How do I sign up if I'm not on Facebook?

CBRowner
21-07-10, 01:59 PM
They have improved the speed bump problem but I had a nasty shock when I pitched up in my mini to find that they'd installed them >:(

I've not parked a bike by the Asda entrance for a while so I don't know what they've done up there but I know that it's annoying to drive over them especially as they recomend going over speedbumps at around 10mph to prevent damage and that's not possible wen you're going up hill and when you have the size that they have in the shires!!!

The one good thing about the speed bumps is that my Tesco Clubcard points have increased :)

CBRowner
21-07-10, 02:01 PM
Oh yeah, good work with the complaints though because they have removed one or two of them so it's a start but not really a solution.

Still, you've made them listen and I hear there's loads of spaces there now ;D

jonnydangerous
21-07-10, 04:35 PM
there is a limit to the height of speed bumps, no speed bump is allowed to be more than 100mm taller than the immediately surrounding road surface, which is why they probably reduced the height......

good luck with the campain :-)

redken1
21-07-10, 10:59 PM
I work for a pub company and the smoking ban was one big nail in the coffin. I agree that food led pubs should not allow smoking, but wet led it should be down to the lanlord/landlady.
People bleated at the time that if they wanted to go out for a meal (probably only once a month) that they shouldn't be subjected to a smokey atmosphere. I agree. I smoke and I wouldn't want it when I was eating. It has killed the trade though in the traditional 'drinkers' pubs.
Darren. If you read this. Has it affected your trade?

I'm a smoker but I agree with the ban - Non-smokers should always have the right to enjoy a pint without being subjected to passive smoke.