PDA

View Full Version : IT Jobs

igbell
05-08-10, 11:49 AM
Hello one and all

I am here to ask if any of you know of any IT jobs going please??
I have been to a few interviews and such and been through the phone book to apply for roles, I have also logged onto every agencie known to man, but I have not had anything as of yet, so know I was wondering if I could call upon contacts to see if I can get a job.

Regards

Nigel

Mitch9128
05-08-10, 12:16 PM
IT? Doing what? What's your experience Nigel?

Jacde
05-08-10, 01:48 PM
I work in IT Operations at Nationwide, will have a look at what vacancies we have and let you know :)

Ducatista
05-08-10, 02:14 PM
We would need to know more about your experience.
"IT" covers a lot of stuff from programming, consulting, project management, sales support etc.

My company has a vacancy for a travelling account manager in the telcomms sector.
This includes extensive travel e.g. months on site.
Let me know if you're interested but I think it's already advertised so you would have seen it, if that was what you were looking for.

Cramer (amdocs) in Bath were looking for people recently (java developers I think) so it might be worth checking their site if that's your bag.

I've seen quite a few java programming roles when I've been having a browse.

Jacde
05-08-10, 05:30 PM
Igbell
we've currently got 12 vacancies in IT Ops, I'll mail you some info for you to check them out yourself. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

mcicy
05-08-10, 09:16 PM
Sent you a PM about a company in the area

igbell
05-08-10, 10:49 PM
Hi all thanx for the response,

My IT skills are in the engineering side of things, either with installing and fitting or breaking and making server's and PC's.
I have been working in IT for at least 10 years now working up from Support to looking after internal networks and then onto looking after 38 hotels and the full domain, and then the last role being a field engineer.
I have worked with all OS's and then also server's from Novell to windows server 2008, exchange 5.5 to exchange 2007.

MartinB
06-08-10, 09:24 AM
Hi Igbell
I can sympathise with your situation, I have been in engineering for 30yrs since leaving school. I was made redundant at the end of May '09, like you I have signed on with countless agencies & job sites. I have had a few interviews & come a close 2nd.
But as yet no permanent role, my background has been in defence, aviation, automotive, pharmacutical, & oil&gas industries mainly as a production/project engineer.
I have even 'cold called' to companies in my area; sending out approx 150 introduction letters - I had 6 replies !!!
I'm now looking for a position between Bristol & Swindon.
Don't get too despondant, something will turn up.

Dabz
06-08-10, 10:25 AM
If we had any jobs going at my place I'd get you to apply but unfortunately we don't :/ (I run an IT support company in Bath)

Ducatista
06-08-10, 01:46 PM
I was made redundant at the end of May '09,

I'm just curious really but have you guys considered alternative careers?
I don't mean that as a reflection of anyone's skills but the fact that we have to live with factors like globalisation, economic migration and recession.

I think that if I couldn't find a job within a few months, I'd be considering the wider possibilities e.g. maths teacher, driver, courier, DSA instructor, dance teacher, weight watchers franchise, cleaning company, aerobics instructor, mortgage broker, bike sales? Some of these might be a dead end but I'd start by not limiting my imagination.

Perhaps other people's circs and attitude are different from mine, but if the climate was so tough that I was out of work for years rather than weeks or months then I'd consider whether I was actually flogging a dead horse and should do something different with my life.

As I said this isn't a refelection of anyone's abilities, just the world we live in where we can't expect a job or even career for life.

Have you guys not considered doing some thing else?

igbell
06-08-10, 05:54 PM
Thanx for understanding MartinB,
And yes Ducatista, I have thought of other work, I called all the part time agencies and they said that they will put me on the books but as they have other people in front of me I will get a full time IT role before they get round to calling me for a part time role, then this is why I have been training with Able Motorcycle Training to become an instructor, so that at least I can do something to keep me sane.

Ducatista
06-08-10, 09:45 PM
then this is why I have been training with Able Motorcycle Training to become an instructor

Excellent. Always good to have more than one string to your bow.

I hope one or other works out.

Sorry I can't help, but I'm more on the s/w side (and most of our vacancies are in Bangalore). We don't very often recruit UK people - a sign of the times I guess.