PDA

View Full Version : any pc techies here?

spudgun
02-08-10, 03:35 PM
My pc has deceided to keep randomly entering "sleep mode", ie, keep switching itself off

I think, with my limited knowledge & from what i can google inbetween shut downs, it may be linked to a graphics card problem

does it sound right? if so, is it an easy fix?

cheers

Nico_babe
02-08-10, 03:52 PM
HI Spudgun

Give this a try

Go to Start (bottom left of screen)
choose settings
choose control panel
choose Power options

have a look at your current power options. You may just need to tweek these to suit you.

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jonnydangerous
02-08-10, 03:55 PM
yeah, and the valves may need adjusting too.... ;-)
have you tried a new plug? maybe theres water in the fuel???......hahaha

Nico_babe
02-08-10, 03:56 PM
Sounds about right Jaydee.......... LOL :D

Si
02-08-10, 04:04 PM
Could very well be the Graphics card. If its just started doing it its probably done an update and that has conflicted with something. Bloody Windows!! >:(

igbell
02-08-10, 10:15 PM
Hi Spudgun
What operating system are you running??
When did this start to happen??
Has it always done it??
Is this on a PC or a Notebook??
Does it do this if left alone for about 5mins, does it come out of sleep if the mouse is moved or touching a key on the keyboard??

If you want I can come and have a look as we are both swindon boys (and before I was made redundant I worked as a IT engineer). [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

CBRowner
02-08-10, 10:18 PM
You can restore your computer to the time that it worked. So if your computer has updated itself and there's a conflict on there, just reboot from the time that you could use it witout any problems [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Failing that, I know of a few people that will check out computers and get them working like new again, unless you're running a 1980's style Acorn Computer ;D

FJ_Biker
03-08-10, 07:21 AM
Sounds like it could be overheating to me

Get a hoover and a half inch paint brush

Take the cover off and clean the fans out, making sure you clean out the cooling fins on the heat sinks.

Mitch9128
03-08-10, 02:46 PM
Sounds like it could be overheating to me

Get a hoover and a half inch paint brush

Take the cover off and clean the fans out, making sure you clean out the cooling fins on the heat sinks.

+1 also download 'speedfan', that will give you the temp of your processor etc you can then see it frying if it is that.

Andy63
03-08-10, 10:36 PM
You should be able to see CPU core temp from the BIOS/ setup/.

spudgun
08-08-10, 06:10 PM
Many thanks to Nigel, came around, did some IT "magic" and fingers crossed now :)

igbell
08-08-10, 08:16 PM
Glad to of helped, lets hope it works out for you....