PDA

View Full Version : A big apology

AlanMc
13-08-10, 12:31 AM
I wud like to say sorry to all those who thought i was blaming them for me getting left behind on rides,
but after a chat tonight, it was me trying to run before walking wen taking a pillion, i still need to get used to the handling n power of the new bike, so i can keep up when carrying a pillion,
so if anyone has any ideas on how i can build up my confidence on over taking, bends etc.

For those of u that dont know, ive had my confidence knocked about bends after i lost it on 1 at about 50mph and put myself in the bottom of a farmers field 5 days after getting the new bike.

Thanks
Al [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Hunar
13-08-10, 01:29 AM
If you're not confident on the bike solo then probably not a good idea to take a pillion just yet. Get used to the bike first spend a bit of time getting used to it and getting the confidence back before worrying about how to fire it round bends 2 up ;)

On our rides we use a marker system so changes in direction are marked for the following riders, the reason we do this is because it allows the bikes to space out on the roads rather than riding as one large group, which is much safer, it also stops the problem of the slower riders riding outside their comfort zones trying to keep up, as no one gets left behind and everyone can ride their own ride.

A ride out is a fantasic way to boost your confidence on a bike, as you will be in the saddle for a day, the problem with short rides is it can take you 15 - 30 mins to relax into the ride, after that time you confidence increases much quicker, so if you only do short journeys you may find you struggle to get confidence quickly.

A ride out isn't a race, it's about getting there as safely as possible, along some nice roads, with good friends and a good day out.

Beamer
13-08-10, 06:49 AM
took alot of courage to do that Alan......... hopefully the 'road ahead' will be a lot easier... good luck and Im sure you will gain all the confidence you need to make riding a good experience. Dont rush it + dont expect to be perfect from the start. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jon_W
13-08-10, 08:20 AM
To carry a pillion, you need to know the bike you are riding backwards.

I'd do plenty of miles on your own, learning the bike (commuting is a good way to do this), then take a pillion on the bike, get used to the different handaling, increased stopping differences etc. Finally go pillion in a massed ride.

This way you can build confidence at your own pace and in your own time.

Dabz
13-08-10, 09:30 AM
takes a lot of guts to post that..credit to you mate!

I was in the same situation - as soon as I passed my test I was carrying pillion EVERYWHERE - in fact for the first year, riding without a pillion was a special event.

As others have said, group riding (doesn't have to be big groups, just 1 or 2 people) helps as long as the other guys on the ride know you're not that most confident rider. If Viper's Angel doesn't want to miss out then there are usually other people who'd be happy to take her as a pillion with you riding solo!

Are you around on Sunday? The weston ride will be very sedate, deliberately for the 125s and newer riders, so could be a great opportunity?

Bornagain
13-08-10, 09:49 AM
Any time you want to head out, just send me a pm - i'm only round the corner and i'm just learning myself. I head out as much as possible and the only way to gain the confidence and know the machine is doing the miles......and i love doing loads of them!!!! I'm feeling great on my bike now after some serious initial worries as to if i bought the right one. Can't stop smiling buddy.
I'm only round the corner

silly_simon
13-08-10, 10:48 AM
Mate I feel for you :)
I have had this feeling many a time and as others have said it takes time.
You have recently passed your test, Now the learning really starts and you don't stop learning, Believe me I have had a fair few "brown pant" moment's and thought to myself sod this biking lark. :-/

You will get there but as I say it does take time, and to be confident enough to ride with pillion takes some doing specially if its someone close to you [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Take care mate.

I have sent you a PM mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Toph
13-08-10, 01:26 PM
Top man for clearing the air! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
come with us on Sunday, it will be a nice sedate bimble, perfect for gaining confidence!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

wiltshire builders
13-08-10, 03:14 PM
Roadcraft, Roadcraft and errr Roadcraft. Keep it smooth and clean, Your confidence will build then so will you speed. If you find yourself having "moments" then take it back a notch and start building back upto it again.

Leave the wife at home or get a more experianced friend to carry her. Also her kit should be as good if not better than yours. No-one rides with me in jeans or without gloves. I couldn't live with myself if anything happened to them.

Corners are where it's at. Anyone can be fast in a straight line.
Read "A twist of the wrist" by keith code. It breaks down every aspect of riding so you can understand why a bike behaves the way it does and why your brain's natural instincts are your worst enemy.

See you at the Harp! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

smellygerm
13-08-10, 05:34 PM
I new you were a nice bloke deep down ;D and hate it when someone is down but you've learned a valuable lesson, your human. we all need to start at the start. anyways chin up your a G.B.B for gods sake [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jacde
13-08-10, 05:51 PM
Apart from pillion, I've all this to come, the plus point for me is I read your experiences and they all get filed away, I hope when my time comes I'm girl enough to stand up and say 'help me please'
:) {{{ }}} hugs

Mark_Able
13-08-10, 07:47 PM

Maybe that's where you're going wrong. Sit the other way round... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Always here to help... ;D

bobf279
13-08-10, 09:08 PM
You've had lots of good advice and I can only agree, practice, practice practice and confidence will soon build. I found reading books and magazines also helped, I read the twist of the wrist books and a book called Sport Riding Techniques and subscribe to Ride Magazine.

Another useful experience was Bikesafe which is free in Wiltshire.

Scotty
13-08-10, 09:14 PM
Big ups for putting your hands up mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif] takes some courage to admit it so well done.

I've never been a fan of DAS and your story goes another step towards illustrating why. By the time you passed your test you'd had how much riding experience, four days? Despite Able Training's best efforts, after that little look-see you get presented with a little pink voucher to scare yourself silly with (or worse :'() By the time I'd passed my test and started carrying pillion passengers I'd been riding two years (a year on a moped (purple fizzy, natch) and a year on a 250 with L-plates) so I had a pretty good idea of how to do it - for me the test was just a logical progression towards a bigger bike and being able to carry passengers, not the first tentative step on the road and being able to ride anything I could afford.

If you're nervous or unsure, get more training and ride as much as you can, and as has already been said, don't try to keep up with faster riders or it'll end in tears!
Best of luck! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Morticia
14-08-10, 03:20 PM
Ride, ride and keep on riding. It's the only way you can get better, through practice. I'm still a crap rider, but believe me when I say I'm a lot less rubbish than last year. And I know I'll be at least a little bit better next year.

I'm more than happy to ride with you anytime, as long as I can find my way to wherever you live...

Morticia
14-08-10, 03:22 PM
Also, would you be able to ride through the winter? I've learnt a lot that way, my most valuable lesson being not to ride on snow. Took me two falls to learn that though!

Ryan
14-08-10, 04:08 PM
Also, would you be able to ride through the winter? I've learnt a lot that way, my most valuable lesson being not to ride on snow. Took me two falls to learn that though!

lol commen scence tells you that :P ;D

bubblylittleme
14-08-10, 06:56 PM
you found ur way home last night Morticia so must be getting better at that too lol

AlanMc
14-08-10, 07:50 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the info, advice and helpful tips, also thanks for all the invites for rides i will be taking some of u up on them soon, also i got a link on FB to some videos for ride like a pro and the are very helpful.

Al [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Roxy
14-08-10, 08:40 PM
well done for holding your hands up.

There is a wealth of information, advice and tips on here from an awful lot of experienced riders, I have picked their brains and taken what they have said on board since starting last year and it has helped me progress so much, you would be daft not to do the same.

The sooner you accept that we all have to go at our own pace and ride within our own limitations the easier and less stressful it will be for you, after all biking is suppose to be enjoyed ... good luck.

6T
14-08-10, 09:40 PM
NightV1per another thing to consider is how experienced is your pillion it may sound silly but if you have someone who is moving around alot and not in tune with you going into corners it can be unerving even for an experienced rider. plenty of practice both together [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

SupeRDel
15-08-10, 09:17 AM
I

so i can keep up

For those of u that dont know, ive had my confidence knocked about bends after i lost it on 1 at about 50mph and put myself in the bottom of a farmers field 5 days after getting the new bike.
[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

For a start - DO NOT TRY TO KEEP UP - doing that will get you seriously hurt.

If you are on a run and in your mind you are trying, taking little risks, etc then you are riding outside your capabilities.

Most of the people reading these words will have tried and took little risks on the last run they were on. They won't admit it though!!

I started riding bikes at 16 in 1974 - we rode mopeds like absolute lunatics :D. Falling off was weekly occurance but we did it at relatively slow speeds.

At 17 you could buy a 250cc bike with L plates - I came off that within a month. Luckily I landed on my head ripping a top portion of my helmet off right down to the black lining. That was a good lesson for me and I have not came off since.

Good training will help but at the end of the day experiance counts for a lot.

There is a saying in biking... There are OLD bikers and there are BOLD bikers but there are no - OLD BOLD bikers.

BB
15-08-10, 07:37 PM
^^^ wot Del said [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

jonnydangerous
16-08-10, 11:04 AM
bike control.......nuff said......
buy yourself a cheap offroad bike, and go and fall off lots...when you can ride offroad without falling off toooooo much, youre ready for the road.... :-)
serious tho, offroad skills are excellent for when you have those little moments on the road, a small slip on gravel is not such an issue, locking the brakes etc, putting your foot down for a "dab" when you need to etc........

shame about the expense involved, as that puts lots of people off buying an offroader, but in my eyes the best money youll ever spend........

Uber Dave
16-08-10, 05:34 PM
There is a wealth of information, advice and tips on here from an awful lot of experienced riders, I have picked their brains and taken what they have said on board since starting last year and it has helped me progress so much, you would be daft not to do the same.

You aint wrong, I go away for 3 months and you are like Ben Spies! (And yes I didnt say Rossi on purpose!)

Honda_Star
16-08-10, 07:54 PM
shame about the expense involved, as that puts lots of people off buying an offroader, but in my eyes the best money youll ever spend........

Totally agree :) i just cant get pass the falling off bit lol ;D

Roxy
16-08-10, 10:00 PM

You aint wrong, I go away for 3 months and you are like Ben Spies! (And yes I didnt say Rossi on purpose!)

AWWWW bless, love you too geek! ;) CAN'T YOU COME BACK? :(

Nelly
17-08-10, 12:47 PM
As above...all of 'em. Just keep riding fella. Ive been there as well and had confidence issues. Simple truth is to keep working at it until you get out the other side. :)

jonnydangerous
17-08-10, 12:54 PM
do.....or do not.....there is no try..........hummmmmm.....

Jon_W
17-08-10, 01:47 PM

Maybe that's where you're going wrong. Sit the other way round... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Always here to help... ;D

Riding backwards.... that is one lesson I would like to see you do.... ;D

Ryan
17-08-10, 02:16 PM

Totally agree :) i just cant get pass the falling off bit lol ;D

me neither [smiley=happy.gif]

jonnydangerous
17-08-10, 03:51 PM
i just cant get pass the falling off bit lol ;D

yeah right! coming from the only person NOT to fall off when we went out last.....hahaha ;-)