PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the Desert

CBRowner
15-08-10, 03:06 PM
Hello fellow bikers,

I just thought I'd keep you up to date with my last minute task to the hottest place on the planet.

I landed in the UAE, after almost 24 hours without sleep, on Tuesday and was greeted with 52 degree temperature and loads of work.

Managed 39 hours without sleep before an early wake up call and our first task in theatre which, thanks to the combat photographer, will be shown on either BBC or ITV news today or tomorrow, so look out for a rather sweaty me in Pakistan [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Anyway, I can't divulge too much info but I will keep you all up to date.

Hopefully I'll be back for the Camping trip but it looks like I'm here for at least another month :(

Take care all,

Emlyn xx

JAYJAY
15-08-10, 03:33 PM
wondered why I couldn't get hold of you - it was me that called you today so you should have my number now - Still got your radiator and fan waiting for you to collect.

Give me a shout when you're back - I'll hang on to it for you

JJ

BB
15-08-10, 07:33 PM
A sweaty man in uniform.... hmm.... ;)

Stay safe [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

Jacde
15-08-10, 08:46 PM
BB easy tiger!

Hi Emlyn, we had hail yesterday :o
anything you need just shout, give us WB'ers a wave if you get another tv crew filming you.

Yep take care too.

Jac

Beamer
16-08-10, 06:50 AM
Hi Emlyn.... saw the news on TVam but couldnt tell if it was you or not (it was 6.30am and my eyes really arent meant to focus at that time of the morning lol)
Anyway, stay safe n hope to see you on the camping trip [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nokesy
16-08-10, 09:37 AM
Will keep an eye out for you! Sounds hot, hot, hot - not sure I could handle that - hope you make it back for Cornwall! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Dabz
16-08-10, 10:35 AM
sounds a bit too hot for my liking! stay safe mate

CBRowner
16-08-10, 11:53 AM
Just had the news that my skills are required out here for the forseeable :(

So it looks very unlikely that I'll be about for the Cornwall trip but I'm getting loads of camping experience in over here and I have lovely sunshine.

It's cooler today, it's only 48 degrees and that's in the shade :D

I'll keep you all informed of what's going on and I'll post some humanitarian photo's when I eventually get back [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Gerry
16-08-10, 12:11 PM
Just had the news that my skills are required out here for the forseeable :(

So it looks very unlikely that I'll be about for the Cornwall trip but I'm getting loads of camping experience in over here and I have lovely sunshine.
It's cooler today, it's only 48 degrees and that's in the shade :D
I'll keep you all informed of what's going on and I'll post some humanitarian photo's when I eventually get back [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

That's a pity Emlyn, it's going to be great :)

Although I wish it was a bit warmer here, I can honesly say that 48 in the shade would only be acceptable in an air conditioned bar, a pool or a gently lapping sea.

Stay safe mate.
G [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Caz
16-08-10, 03:43 PM
Yes stay safe catch up when you get back [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

CBRowner
18-08-10, 03:02 PM
Hello all,

It looks like I'm staying out here for a while longer as the media interest has picked up and it also looks like there will be more of me in the news and also in the wiltshire times, as well as the paper where my parents live.

The weather's improved though, it reached a chilly 53 degrees yesterday and I thought that I'd spend the day building more aid pallets in the blistering heat :D

I have volunteered to stay out here until the relief operation's over but I'm still trying to get back in time for the Cornwall trip and I know that Jonnyflame, Steve, is also working very hard to get my bike on the road in time.

Anyway people, keep safe, keep watching out for me on the news and I'll see you all upon my return to the UK [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jacde
18-08-10, 05:36 PM
Hi Emlyn
Send a bit of that heat our way please [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Make sure you have a little 'Hello WB'ers' sign written up on some cardboard that you can flash up when ever a tv crew are around!

Remember if you need any home comforts while you're out there let me know and I'll send them to you.

Take care, keep applying the suncream ;D

Jac

CBRowner
20-08-10, 01:16 PM
Another update from the desert.

All my work colleagues have returned to the UK today but I'm still out here in Satans Sauna.

Still smiling though, just, and still trying to keep myself as busy as possible especially with only 2 sh*t shops here and a restriction on sunbathing between 11am and 3pm :(

Heading to the beach on the island shaped like a palm tree on sunday and then I'm going to rob the locals blind in the market in the evening [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Food's shocking, but the Canadians have free Baskin Robbins icecream so I'm guessing I'll be about 10 stone heavier upon my return :o

Work still has no news on my return to the UK but I've decided to try and get back in early September so that I can enjoy the last bit of fairly decent weather England has to offer this year.

Anyway guys, stay safe and I look forward to seeing you all soon [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jacde
20-08-10, 01:41 PM
See it's not all hard graft, no normal people get jollys like you do!! ;D
stay safe ;)

Morticia
21-08-10, 11:57 AM
I have volunteered to stay out here until the relief operation's over but I'm still trying to get back in time for the Cornwall trip and I know that Jonnyflame, Steve, is also working very hard to get my bike on the road in time.

The oil leak's sorted.

CBRowner
22-08-10, 06:54 PM
Hello peeps,

No changes yet to the plan out here, it still looks like I'll miss the Cornwall trip and no doubt miss most ride outs next year because I'll be on my Op Phase sat in a different desert :(

I've managed to see the sights of Dubai and apart from some tall buildings, there's nothing really to see.

I spent the day down the Seamans Mission's pool and am now looking like a Jock in Benidorm ;D

The new guys will be here soon but that'll mean the work starts for me again and no doubt the press will be getting in my way.

Anyway, hopefully get to see you all soon.

Take care and keep looking in the Wiltshire Times and watching the news [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Beamer
22-08-10, 08:05 PM
sounds like a long one for you then..... hope it goes ok and you get back in time for some sort of 'jolly' with us civvies lol .... take care x ;D ;D ;D

CBRowner
23-08-10, 08:10 PM
I've just heard that I may be back in the UK as early as Saturday now :)

Doesn't help that I won't be back in time for the ride to Cornwall and no doubt I won't be allowed out until I've done all my washing and had a bath :-[

On the plus side, it seems my bike may be almost ready so that'll give me something to look forward to upon my return and you guys may get to see it at last down the Sally ;D