PDA

View Full Version : Intruder !

Gerry
23-02-11, 05:35 AM
Intruder !

Was woken at 4.23am this morning by the alarm monitoring service telling me that the alarm had gone off at work.
It’s amazing how many thoughts (mostly negative) can go through your brain when you’re fast asleep and your mobile goes off when it shouldn’t, it can only take 2 seconds at most to answer it (by my bed) but in that time you can go through no end of mainly worrying thoughts about family & friends.

Anyway, clothes on and grab my phone, wallet (not sure why, it’s a bit early for shopping) and keys and jump in the car. Three minutes later turn up at work to find all is deadly quiet !

Unlock, go in, and with bleary eyes read the alarm system, which is saying “All OK” !

Have a quick look around the downstairs and, back to the master system to double check it.
I’m staring grouchily at “All OK” when all of a sudden the alarm activates - this is bad :-/
There are two sirens on it, one outside with lights and one built into the master terminal I‘m looking at, both are ear splittingly loud. If feels as my ears are going to spontaneously explode and I bang my password into the system and all is quiet again.

Except, the system is now blinking “Intruder Upstairs Office” - this is bad :-/

Now I know that the system can be set off by big spiders climbing on the monitors and by Christmas decorations falling down (had both) but this is really rare and I only get about one false alarm every year or so, so seeing “Intruder Upstairs Office” is a little worrying.
I Say to myself, “OK, it’s just a false alarm, and go round every door outside (downstairs) to double check that none are unlocked or forced, all good there.
Next, I turn every light on and the radio (for back-up ! although I can’t think how a radio one DJ may help if a big burglar with a cosh jumps out on me) and slowly go upstairs.

I was cursing my choice of footwear as I’d slipped on my softest trainers and what I should have worn were huge Doc Martins with segs so I sounded like a 6’ 5” 20 stone hulk going upstairs rather than a ballet dancer
I get to my office door which I always leave open - it’s shut (yes - this is very bad) :-/
So next I check the other office, store & toilet, no Liverpudlian badies there (I watch “Lock Stock… to much) next I make a macho, hulk like, cough and slam my door open - nothing, all quiet, so I’m almost OK apart from that I’ve a small cupboard in my office big enough for a Liverpudlian knifeman to hide in, so heart pounding I wrench the door open - nothing , just some harmless stock checks and pile of old invoices (breaths again) :)

So… it’s now just after 5.00 am, I’ve phoned my monitoring service and let them know it was a false alarm and whilst I wait for the police to turn up (it should be in a few minutes after the alarm activation) I though I’d calm myself down by bashing this out (although from the downstairs office) ;)
I can’t decide if I should rush home for a couple of hours kip or crack on at work now I’m here and impress customers with very early emails

Have a good day all …

G

Gerry
23-02-11, 05:56 AM
Postscript: Sat there reading WB (and keeping my ear out for phantom burglars upstairs) when there is a huge great bang right behind me - I really wish the police would knock the door a bit more gently :(
However it’s helped me make my going home decision, need new boxers now :o

G :)

Beamer
23-02-11, 06:20 AM
Postscript: Sat there reading WB (and keeping my ear out for phantom burglars upstairs) when there is a huge great bang right behind me - I really wish the police would knock the door a bit more gently :(

Aww Gerry sounds like you had a 'crappy' night....but not as crappy as it would have been if there had been someone lurking.
It must have been a night for it tho......I woke up with a start and looked at the clock....2.48am. Lovely I thought, plenty of time for more sleep. I turn over and Kevs phone started playing that nasty tune telling you it's time to get up!!
Kev gets up and I ask what hes doing, it's too early. He said one clock says one thing and the other has a different time.
I looked at my fone .....2 hours difference....it's 4.50!!
Somehow his alarm clock had lost 2 whole hours!!
And so I have a head start for my day too lol.....(maybe a visit from strange creatures from strange planets messing with all the elecrical equipment in the area!!)
:o :o :o :o < my eyes will look like that later when I keep needing to top up with coffee hehehe

Scotty
23-02-11, 07:46 AM
Good idea to calm yourself down by bashing one out Gerry hahaha ;D ;D ;D

BB
23-02-11, 07:47 AM
Seems to have been a disturbed night for several of us then, Ghost's phone went off at 3 something or other with a breakdown on the night shift and they wanted a fitter. There then followed 20 minutes or so of phoning round before eventually getting one to answer his phone. Then of course he didn't know the site very well so more calls to arrange a meeting time & place...
Then it seemed like 2 minutes until Ghost's alarm went off at 5.30 and another 2 minutes until mine at 6.45....

BB

Nelly
23-02-11, 07:58 AM
Good morning Gerry! How was the weather e :Darly this morning?

Gerry
23-02-11, 11:54 AM
Good idea to calm yourself down by bashing one out Gerry hahaha ;D ;D ;D

Scotty: One word answer: groan :-/

Nelly: One word answer: crap :(

G ;)

Hazel-nut
23-02-11, 03:43 PM
sorry to hear you had a rude awakening and a bit or a rough morning but at least you didnt have in intruder! did you find out what made it go off?

Gerry
23-02-11, 09:16 PM
sorry to hear you had a rude awakening and a bit or a rough morning but at least you didnt have in intruder! did you find out what made it go off?

Thank you for your sympathy young Hazel, unless your “rude awakening” is refers to Scotty’s post, in which case you’re a very naughty girl ( and with your angelic dimply smile, I just can’t believe that) ::)

Not sure what caused it, might have been the wind blowing my door shut as I left my office windows slightly open. Either that or the spirit of my old Guinea Pig Twinkle who died in 1966 and who I always feel is with me looking over my shoulder and guiding my path in this wonderful world we live in ;)

Scotty
23-02-11, 10:44 PM
It wasn't Evangeline was it Gerry? :-?

Jon_W
24-02-11, 03:53 PM
Just read that....

Sounds like your office is haunted..... ;D ;D

Gerry
24-02-11, 06:16 PM
It wasn't Evangeline was it Gerry? :-?

No, don’t think so, but I suppose it might have been “Star” my other Guinea pig that died at a similar time, I had one black one - one white one (just the two) although I can’t remember which was which !

I do remember one biting my finger which got infected and I had to go to hospital to have it sorted out , it was bandaged for three weeks and when unwrapped looked just like a chip :-/ (funny what you remember) !

“Ghost” ? I suppose it could have been, or a poltergeist - hope it wasn’t Evangaline’s gran :o

Caz
24-02-11, 10:13 PM
Alarms don't you just love them >:( ;D ;D

crewy
25-02-11, 03:49 PM

Ha Ha, made me chuckle, glad everything was ok, but how big are these spiders that set the alarm of??? :o lol