PDA

View Full Version : Own Up

Mitch9128
05-03-11, 08:40 AM
Who was it?
http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/8887228.Illegal_riders_put_Erlestoke_walkers_to_fr ight/

Nelly
05-03-11, 10:02 AM
innocent guv! ;)

Nelly
05-03-11, 10:17 AM
video is here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkJPfvr45Ns

CallumSM
05-03-11, 01:21 PM
"Mr Cupis’s wife took some video footage of the bikers and, in one moment, a biker came within an ace of crashing into the warden’s vehicle. "

I assume they are talking about the part where the warden attempts to "stop" the bikers by almost running one over? :o

silly_simon
05-03-11, 01:48 PM
Been awfully quiet from Basil :P :P :P :D :D :D

Nelly
05-03-11, 03:28 PM
"Mr Cupis’s wife took some video footage of the bikers and, in one moment, a biker came within an ace of crashing into the warden’s vehicle. "

I assume they are talking about the part where the warden attempts to "stop" the bikers by almost running one over? :o

I thought he was going for him as well!

Bornagain
07-03-11, 08:14 AM
Not guilty your honour, we slow to a snail's pace as soon as we see someone on any of the legal tracks then give them a hearty and friendly wave, usually getting one in return. We do head up on the Plain through Earlstoke sometimes though (on legal byways) but will give it a miss in the future now. I'm sure they'll be a heavy warden presence there in the future.
Earlestoke is packed full of dog walkers and ramblers which is why it's best avoided, can't really see the point in riding somewhere where you already know there's going to be lots of people, it'll ruin your experience as much as theirs.

There's a big Plain out there and more than enough space for everyone to enjoy it safely and comfortably.

Tip for any rider using illegal trails (as these guys were doing) - When you see someone, wave, move on and find another place, keeps everyone happy.

Putting enduro riders in the local media like this will do us no favours i'm sure. Bikers - We're already an endangered species ;) ;)

Scotty
07-03-11, 01:03 PM
Nothing like the mainstream muppet press spicing a story up a bit with a few superlatives is there? "A speeding biker in Erlestoke Woods screams past...." >:(
It's a bit like all the crap they wrote about the Wootton Bassett ride-out thing last year, a load of drivel about "thousands of bikes roaring down the high street..." pottering a walking pace with aching clutch hands and very hot engines more like... ::)

Having said that, the activities of d*ckheds riding MX bikes without any legality or consideration whatsoever only rebounds on those of us who do use the lanes legally and before long the rambling nazis and NIMBYs petition the local council and get us all banned, yet the oiks who are illegal in the first place will continue as before... >:( >:( >:(

Jon_W
07-03-11, 03:21 PM
Innocent m'lud. :P

jonnydangerous
07-03-11, 04:04 PM
with the closure of 90% of the by-ways across UK its gonna happen more and more and more....
why should i tax, insured, and mot my offroader, if there isnt anywhere to ride it...

LOTS of people have now sold their legal bikes, stopped insuring them, and ride illegally, why dont the government ENCOURAGE people to get their bikes taxed, mot'd and insured by opening ALL of the by-ways again?????.......

50% of the byways round our way were shut to motors, this has resulted in the path being overgrown to the extent that you cant even SEE it, let alone walk it or get a horse down it, now the walkers/horsey mob are demanding that the council pay to have them cut, which AINT gonna happen! (bikes and landrovers used to keep the growth back) so theyve shot themselves int he foot (4 feet if its a horse).... and it bloody well serves them right....

rant over.

BladeTriple
07-03-11, 08:01 PM
with the closure of 90% of the by-ways across UK its gonna happen more and more and more....
why should i tax, insured, and mot my offroader, if there isnt anywhere to ride it...

LOTS of people have now sold their legal bikes, stopped insuring them, and ride illegally, why dont the government ENCOURAGE people to get their bikes taxed, mot'd and insured by opening ALL of the by-ways again?????.......

50% of the byways round our way were shut to motors, this has resulted in the path being overgrown to the extent that you cant even SEE it, let alone walk it or get a horse down it, now the walkers/horsey mob are demanding that the council pay to have them cut, which AINT gonna happen! (bikes and landrovers used to keep the growth back) so theyve shot themselves int he foot (4 feet if its a horse).... and it bloody well serves them right....

rant over.

Not often I agree with Jaydee but if there was a like button on this forum this would be getting that tick ! Well said kebab gobbler!

Jacde
07-03-11, 08:05 PM
I use the ridgeway quiet a lot, in past years it was for training to do the Moonwalk and now it's training for the bike ride in Kenya.
I've come off the bike a few times because I've not seen a deep rut because it's grassed over, and so far I've been lucky with a soft landing (no, no hedges have been involved!)
Unfortunately it's the minority on both sides that cause antagonism, I've yet to see anyone on 2 wheels offroading, but when 4x4's go past I've stopped as it's easier for me to give way and I always smile and have mostly got a smile back :)
If anything it's the planks who are out walking dogs that they don't keep under control that cause me most grief >:(
Maybe I am just too aware of life being to short to get uppity, I'll happily share paths and byways with other considerate people after all it's not up to me to say who can or can't use them!
[smiley=engel017.gif]

redken1
07-03-11, 08:41 PM
I came across this very same issue when I lived in the Highlands. It seemed that everyone was against off-roaders. I have to be honest and say that it was a few mindless, helmetless idiots who showed total disregard for other users of the tracks who caused such animosity towards the off-road biking fraternity.

Scotty
07-03-11, 11:04 PM
Maybe I am just too aware of life, being too short to get uppity....
Anyone can get uppity Jackie, even shorties... ;D ;D ;D

Jacde
07-03-11, 11:53 PM
;D ;D
I even checked to make sure I didnt type it like that ::) ::)
Scotty, I should ban you for tampering with my post! ;D