PDA

View Full Version : Police protests?

redken1
10-03-11, 07:58 PM
In the wake of the government-commission report by Tom Winsor on Police Officer’s remuneration package, it is no secret that some members of the Police Federation’s ruling council want to consider having the right to strike

When the government’s pruning axe falls on the next area of the public sector, the police budget, it will mean a reduction in salary of £4000 for many ordinary frontline officers.

Should members of our Police Force have the right to strike?

BladeTriple
10-03-11, 08:05 PM
Er I don't think they should really to be honest Ken , no more than us serving in the Armed Forces should or others who provide that kind of service. We saw when the Fire Service (or fire bobbies as they're called up north east way) went on strike , the poor already overstretched soldiers had to drive those god awful green godesses.

If police strike it will mean sadly putting soldiers on the streets to police who have no training in keeping the peace on a civil level, do we really want the prospect of putting men and women on the streets of UK (not including Northern Ireland as they had it for decades) who are trained in a higher level of peace keeping, normally involving baton rounds, patrolling with rifles and heavy equipments ?

Personally , overstretch or not as a serving soldier I would hate to see what I saw in Northern Ireland appear on the streets of mainland UK because the Police decide to strike and I'm sure many would feel the same, we simply are not trained nor have the ability to deal like the civil authorities do, end of the day we are trained to save and take lives, even the RMP aren't real coppers!

Mitch9128
10-03-11, 08:06 PM
The Filth are crap at this marching through London lark, no violence, no smashing up shops, who's gonna drop fire extinguishers on them?? Bring in the students to kettle 'em i say!

Nooj
10-03-11, 10:41 PM
I bet they'll stick to the proposed route as well.

wiltshire builders
10-03-11, 11:34 PM
No, they knew the rules. When my mortgage payments go up I don't have the right to not pay it. Swings and round-a-bouts baby!
Should be glad they've got a secure job in this current climate.

Scotty
10-03-11, 11:49 PM
I'd be interested to see the results of squaddies tooled-up and on Friday night shift in an average town centre... baton rounds, stun grenades and riot sticks should be just the job for dealing with pissed-up chav gob****es - worth an experimental run I reckon... :)

Mitch9128
11-03-11, 06:36 AM
I'd be interested to see the results of squaddies tooled-up and on Friday night shift in an average town centre... baton rounds, stun grenades and riot sticks should be just the job for dealing with pissed-up chav gob****es - worth an experimental run I reckon... :)

LMFAO, problem is, in most garrison towns, those chavs are the squaddies!!!!

Uber Dave
11-03-11, 03:45 PM
[quote author=Scotty link=1299787099/5#5 date=1299800954]I'd be interested to see the results of squaddies tooled-up and on Friday night shift in an average town centre... baton rounds, stun grenades and riot sticks should be just the job for dealing with pissed-up chav gob****es - worth an experimental run I reckon... :)

There are training a number of RAF Airmen at the moment to go into Prisons when they go on strike, some of my friends have had their jabs already and start training in the near future. Just glad I was not volluntold like they were!

As for the police, no they should not be allowed to go on strike. And I dont see why they are moaning, the WHOLE public sector is getting nailed, including the military, I wont be getting any pay rise either for the next to years so its not just them. I also wish we had overtime, moaning about nothing!

redken1
11-03-11, 07:46 PM
No, they knew the rules. When my mortgage payments go up I don't have the right to not pay it. Swings and round-a-bouts baby!
Should be glad they've got a secure job in this current climate.

With respect WB, I can’t see the analogy between a rise in mortgage repayments and a police pay cut. Prior to purchasing a property, a prospective home owner is advised by their lender that loan repayments will fluctuate in line with interest changes. When a recruit joins the Police Force, he/she does not expect to take a compulsory pay cut of up to £4000.

I liken the government’s cuts and the consequential mood of the nation to a baker making bread. All the ingredients are in the bowl and when the yeast is added the mix blows-up. Only difference being that unlike the government, the baker can control how much yeast is added.

Personally, I don’t think the government have thought through the implications of implementing these proposed police budget cuts and even at this late stage, a u-turn may be in the offing.

When Margaret Thatcher came to power in 1979, she knew that implementation of her agenda would lead to large-scale civil unrest across the country. In order to ensure delivery of her policies, she had the sense to know that she needed a Police Force with a high level of morale and boosted Police pay accordingly. At the time of the miners strike in the early 80’s large numbers of police officers who were drafted in, in coaches from all parts of the country to the trouble hotspots like the Yorkshire pits were on duty long overtime.

When (not if) ‘Joe Public’ says enough is enough and throws the yeast into the mix (takes to the streets) who is going to police the demos? Could we really blame a police officer who has just been on the receiving end of a £4000 pay cut, for telling his superior to shove his overtime ‘where the sun don’t shine’?

slowr1der
11-03-11, 07:58 PM
who's gonna drop fire extinguishers on them??! Nice one mate........you nobber

tommyjgraham
11-03-11, 08:01 PM

;D ;D ;D

Mitch9128
11-03-11, 08:06 PM

I'm not your mate, you fat prick.

slowr1der
11-03-11, 08:41 PM

I'm not your mate, you fat prick.

Aww bless poppet :-*

redken1
11-03-11, 08:44 PM
Please chill out guys you are lowering the tone of the debate.

slowr1der
11-03-11, 08:49 PM
Am not trying to lower the tone mate just think his comment was bang out of order considering an officer could easily have been killed in that incident. An officer that would have only have been following orders on the day and more than likely has a wife and children at home

redken1
11-03-11, 08:52 PM
Point taken - just don't enjoy mame calling on Forums.

slowr1der
11-03-11, 09:00 PM
I actually thought i was being polite :) Still i am sure i will apologise to the chap should i see him on a rideout because thats just th kind of nice bloke i am

redken1
11-03-11, 09:04 PM
I'm really looking forward to Sunday. Hope weather is fine. Are you coming along?

Mitch9128
11-03-11, 09:06 PM
Am not trying to lower the tone mate just think his comment was bang out of order considering an officer could easily have been killed in that incident. An officer that would have only have been following orders on the day and more than likely has a wife and children at home

Hahahaha what a moron.

slowr1der
11-03-11, 09:12 PM
I'm really looking forward to Sunday. Hope weather is fine. Are you coming along?

Hopefully make the April rideout but cant make Sunday as this fatty is playing football :)

R1chie
11-03-11, 10:14 PM
Awe bless.....forum love is amongst us.

IMO...should you be in the public service sector then you should be barred from striking. Police...fireman (fire bobbies?? WTF..Not in my NE), armed forces etc all have a duty and have 'signed up' to do that duty. Time to man up and stop whinging, or get the fook out.

Tough times my friends...tough times. Roll with the punches.

Col
12-03-11, 05:48 AM
Not a plod fan but bit of a low blow to reduce stated pay rates however all state employees must begin to recognise that there is not enough money to enable annual pay rises combined with too many promotion grades and overly generous pension arrangements.
That said this conflap gummint after nearly a year are still overseeing massive money waste which they should have got to grips with by now..all in all they have been less effective in the required aims to reduce cost.
The big problem now is looming higher than predicted inflation added to by their ill advised VAT increase which is an 'easy' tax to add but tax increase is not the answer in a consumer lead economy.
blah,blah,blah ::)

JAYJAY
12-03-11, 09:55 AM
Thanks for bringing this back to the subject Col - Hate the namecalling BS..
Can't believe I'm about to quote Maggie BUT.... There are only so many slices you can cut from the cake -It's about the only thing she ever said worth saying!
The public sector have been swallowing an ever increasing share of that cake - a share which has to be paid for by an ever increasingly pressured private sector.
It used to be claimed that benefits in the public sector were so generous because the wage levels were so much lower. This hasn't been true for many years yet they still retire earlier on overgenerous pensions whilst the private sector picks up the bill on an aging poulation living longer.
Having worked all his/her life paying for the private sector and their generous benefits the average worker ritires in relative poverty while their public sector counterpart retires in relative comfort. Some sort of balancing adjustment has been on the cards for years
I agree about the VAT rise - Stupid, stupid, stupid BUT a TTT (typical tory trick) and very predicted.

Mitch9128
12-03-11, 10:14 AM
My original post was humoured, if anyone can't see that, or doesn't like it, ignore it or switch off.
In my defense i'd had a few sherberts last night and reacted to being called a nobber.

BladeTriple
12-03-11, 06:39 PM

IMO...should you be in the public service sector then you should be barred from striking. Police...fireman (fire bobbies?? WTF..Not in my NE), armed forces etc all have a duty and have 'signed up' to do that duty. Time to man up and stop whinging, or get the fook out.

Not sure where you're from back home but around Middlesbrough and Redcar I've heard the Fire Brigade referred to as Fire Bobbies, normally by the local YOOF who set fire to things then wait to throw stones and other projectiles at the boys in the big red trucks when they arrive to put their mess out . You know yourself how rough it can be back home.

Lis'

Nooj
13-03-11, 01:18 AM
normally by the local YOOF who set fire to things then wait to throw stones and other projectiles at the boys in the big red trucks when they arrive to put their mess out

Turn the hose on the little c*nts. Better still, use them to beat the fire out with.

redken1
13-03-11, 02:05 AM

I agree it is time to man up and stop whinging. Time for action, 2nd demo this year and I sense a real mood brewing for some serious manning up. When rank and file police officers are contemplating withdrawing their labour, things are serious. I don’t subscribe to the mainstream propaganda that “We are all in this together” If manning up means, accept the crumbs from the banker’s table and be thankful, then I am a Girlie. I didn’t pick this fight, but bring it on!

Hunar
14-03-11, 01:50 AM
On the whole I think the front line police do a good job. Read a blog by a guy called inspector gadget, yes he is a real inspector. You get a front line coppers point of view, without the bull**** addition that view goes through when it's spouted by the chief constable.

It's true you will get a few assholes, and I am sure that most of them are in traffic, but you get assholes in every proffession, look at politics, but I wonder how many beat officers get a hostile reception cos a traffic officer gave someone a speeding ticket.

On the whole the majority of officers would like to be out doing the job they are there to do, unfortunately with the red tape and bull**** surrounding the job these days they are either spending hours filling in paperwork for some little scrote who has been harrassing his neighbours, or tied up dealing with a nasty text message tracey got from steve, or busy dealing with adultas who cannot halndle their drink. So when you call up to report a genuine crime, you have to wait ages for a response.

How frustrating must it be to keep arresting the same person for the same types of crime, only to see the judge let them off, and you're arresting them again for the same thing next week?

How many over paid police chiefs are getting laid off? how many bean counters and pen pushers? compared to how many front line officers? In fact when you look at the public sector, and how many front line jobs are being axed, and then look at how many middle management and executive jobs are being cut as well, you have to wonder how fair they are making those cuts.