PDA

View Full Version : satellite dish

bubblylittleme
21-03-11, 07:59 PM
Does anyone know of someone who could fit a satellite dish for me?

Bought a TV with built in HD freesat so have bought a dish. Hoping its easy to fit but been told it has to be lined up correct;y

Loops
21-03-11, 08:12 PM
It's not too difficult to do yourself :) Attach firmly to the wall with a good solid bracket and point it in the same direction as any others in the neighbourhood.

You'll be told you need a gadget to line up with the satellite, but as long as your set-top box (or tv in your case) can display bars showing signal strength and quality you can line it up using that - that's all my dad did for mine!

bubblylittleme
21-03-11, 09:02 PM
It's not too difficult to do yourself :) Attach firmly to the wall with a good solid bracket and point it in the same direction as any others in the neighbourhood.

You'll be told you need a gadget to line up with the satellite, but as long as your set-top box (or tv in your case) can display bars showing signal strength and quality you can line it up using that - that's all my dad did for mine!

great thanks...thats what i had planned on doing but was told by someone i wouldn't be able to do it myself

Nooj
21-03-11, 09:28 PM
Sounds like a man's job ;)

*runs for cover*

njl
21-03-11, 09:53 PM
If you get stuck I can give you a hand. When choosing position of the dish you want to see sky in the direction it's pointing - the satellite will be hovering above with a beam angle to the dish about 60degrees, which is steep but tall trees and roof lines of other buildings close can still get in the way. Once you get some signal off the right satellite you'll be close to home and dry, although getting both the elevation and direction down can be frustrating to begin with. Many dishes will have a scale on the side so you should be able to figure out your elevation and set it initally with the dish on the ground.

Sorry have I started making this sound hard...

really don't worry!!

bubblylittleme
22-03-11, 04:11 PM
If you get stuck I can give you a hand. When choosing position of the dish you want to see sky in the direction it's pointing - the satellite will be hovering above with a beam angle to the dish about 60degrees, which is steep but tall trees and roof lines of other buildings close can still get in the way. Once you get some signal off the right satellite you'll be close to home and dry, although getting both the elevation and direction down can be frustrating to begin with. Many dishes will have a scale on the side so you should be able to figure out your elevation and set it initally with the dish on the ground.

Sorry have I started making this sound hard...

really don't worry!!

Oh my...now that sounds complicated

Green Man
22-03-11, 05:09 PM
Sue you need to point the dish at astra 23.5%east with the Azimuth of 52% witch is the tilt of the dish

njl
22-03-11, 05:15 PM
Sue you need to point the dish at astra 23.5%east with the Azimuth of 52% witch is the tilt of the dish
Should webbe at 28.2 for freesat?

Green Man
22-03-11, 05:21 PM

Ops yes 28.2 sorry

bubblylittleme
22-03-11, 06:24 PM

Ops yes 28.2 sorry

ok Colin ..you seem to know what to do..can you do it for me if i get it up? hehe

Green Man
22-03-11, 06:32 PM

Ops yes 28.2 sorry

ok Colin ..you seem to know what to do..can you do it for me if i get it up? hehe

Yea no probs Sue i have a I have a sat meter so we can line it up properly just let me know when [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Loops
23-03-11, 03:14 PM
Oh my...now that sounds complicated

Ignore them - it might take a bit of trial and error but you'll get it lined up in the end ::)

BladeTriple
24-03-11, 06:25 AM
OMG I have never heard setting up a sat dish made to sound so bloody complicated. Point it in the rough direction of every other dish in your street, put the signal monitor on the sat receiver on the television and tell who ever has the dish to sweep slowly right to left and then go up and down ever so slightly until you get onto the bird (satellite)

The signal meter on the screen should tell you when you have the best signal and then lock on accordingly . Be patient is all , its a cake walk (she says with 19 years military telecommunications background ;D )

bubblylittleme
24-03-11, 06:27 PM
OMG I have never heard setting up a sat dish made to sound so bloody complicated. Point it in the rough direction of every other dish in your street, put the signal monitor on the sat receiver on the television and tell who ever has the dish to sweep slowly right to left and then go up and down ever so slightly until you get onto the bird (satellite)

The signal meter on the screen should tell you when you have the best signal and then lock on accordingly . Be patient is all , its a cake walk (she says with 19 years military telecommunications background ;D )

Will try this first ..if not Colin lol

Chappers
24-03-11, 07:47 PM

Lol ;D You might also have added "You don't have time to think up there. If you think, you're dead."