PDA

View Full Version : ICE (In Case of Emergency)

Hazel-nut
03-04-11, 01:12 PM
most of you probably already know about having ICE infront of some people names in your contact list on your phone just in case you are in an accident but i have just found an app for it on the iphone :P
i know a lot of you have iphones and with the app you can put in 3 peoples names and numbers as well as you blood type and known allregies!
it is a free app - just make sure you dont get the american 1! the pictures for it is a red background with a white cross with ICE written in the cross

GaryMc
03-04-11, 02:10 PM
Nice one ;)

Just downloaded it. Cracking idea :)

NoYou
03-04-11, 02:15 PM
There is also a similar app for Android phones but it costs £2.83 or something... but when it could make the difference i thinks its one of the best £3 you can spend

Flying Half-Dutchman
03-04-11, 04:39 PM
Good idea. I just need to get an iphone first! :(

bobf279
03-04-11, 04:58 PM
downloaded and installed, hope I don't need it, locking pin could be a problem

NoYou
03-04-11, 05:07 PM
just turn the pin off before you set out, most modern phones have a screen lock so you don't call people by accident anyways and you'd have to be a pretty damn good pickpocket to get a phone out of pocket moving at 60+mph :p

Loops
03-04-11, 08:37 PM
I have my ICE details also written on a tag inside my backpack, and I'll be adding it to my kit too.

That way even if the phone gets damaged in a crash, or flung into bushes, you have it written in old fashioned ink - better to have it in too many places then not enough :)

alanTDM
03-04-11, 10:33 PM
Got it on my Blackberry free from blackberry App World,Red cross white background.
I didnt know my blood group so phoned up docs to find out strange they didnt have it nor Bath RUH.
Said they only keep past history records for so long,Friggin useless ffs
They wanted £24 for the blood test >:(

Gerry
03-04-11, 10:36 PM
Got it on my Blackberry free from blackberry App World,Red cross white background.
I didnt know my blood group so phoned up docs to find out strange they didnt have it nor Bath RUH.

Donate some blood and you get it for free - and tea and biscuits :-)

Flying Half-Dutchman
03-04-11, 10:58 PM
Just a thought, but you could just write your ICE details on a bit of paper, and then keep it in your wallet/purse?

Jon_W
04-04-11, 10:09 AM
Just a thought, but you could just write your ICE details on a bit of paper, and then keep it in your wallet/purse?

That's what I have.... is simple, dosen't run out of battery, dosen't require some stranger to access my phone and is secure...

I think there it too much technology at times..... :P

Ducatista
04-04-11, 11:07 AM
You can also get the dogtags.
You can get a USB stick with all your medical history on it in multiple languages and/or simply get an engraved one.
Details on a piece of paper could work just as well but not as resilient to water etc.

silly_simon
04-04-11, 12:22 PM
Utag ICE (http://www.digitaldogtag.co.uk/)

Here you go :)

Nelly
04-04-11, 12:37 PM
I have an engraved dogtag that hangs round the neck. Makes sense to me. Keep it in my helmet at home so when i go out on the bike, i cant forget it :)

Snowy
04-04-11, 12:53 PM

+1 and its a very good thing to do as well. It's how I find out years ago how rare I am ;D

Snowy
04-04-11, 12:57 PM

Certainly used to be the case that the emergency services will ignore any reference to blood groups etc, just in case the tags/paper doesn't belong to the wearer. They will always test blood groups before giving anything potentially lethal by IV. The most important part is the phone number of relative/next of kin etc - more for their sake than the riders.

Kevinb
04-04-11, 01:42 PM
most of you probably already know about having ICE infront of some people names in your contact list on your phone just in case you are in an accident but i have just found an app for it on the iphone :P
i know a lot of you have iphones and with the app you can put in 3 peoples names and numbers as well as you blood type and known allregies!
it is a free app - just make sure you dont get the american 1! the pictures for it is a red background with a white cross with ICE written in the cross

Don't have an i-phone, i-pod or i-pad.
Blood type-Dont care what goes into my Black Pudding and allergies-allergic to Mondays & Apple products ;D

alanTDM
04-04-11, 05:14 PM

+1 and its a very good thing to do as well. It's how I find out years ago how rare I am ;D
Yea i did think of that id rather have coffee though ! :)
Ill suss it out this week about blood donation

Chappers
04-04-11, 06:33 PM
I had the app on my blackberry but it's useless because you have to put my password in to get to the ICE app. I've stuck with a bit of paper in my wallet and an ICE dog tag.

Snowy
04-04-11, 08:30 PM

Yea i did think of that id rather have coffee though ! :)
Ill suss it out this week about blood donation

Plenty of fluids after. And you need to be over 8 stone? ;)

Mark_Able
05-04-11, 09:25 PM
Thanks Hazel... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I've added it as an App... :)

Flying Half-Dutchman
08-04-11, 09:17 PM
I've got a utag dogtag, I think it's a really clever little gizmo. I just hope if I ever need it, the person who finds it knows what to do with it!

R1chie
08-04-11, 09:54 PM
For an emergency situation, personally (and I speak from experience), either use an "ICE" number or dogtag.

People know to go searching through contact lists to find ICE numbers, many won't know to, or how to, go through your Apps

Vee4 Gaz
08-04-11, 10:45 PM
Found the Android version for free but to be honest I think the engraved dog tag is the best thing. Found them on Ebay for less than a fiver with engraving of your choice.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Single-ICE-Medical-ID-Information-Tag-Engraved-Free-/250780023387?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Mobility_Disabili ty_Medical_ET&hash=item3a63a77a5b

Anyone know of somewhere local that sales them??