PDA

View Full Version : When did this happen?

smellygerm
09-04-11, 09:38 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13022347

Dabz
09-04-11, 09:47 PM
probably kept deliberately quiet to stop people just driving faster...handy to know tho!

Roxy
09-04-11, 09:56 PM
I always thought it was 10% + 2 ? but even with that probably a better idea to keep within the speed limits! :D

fnar fnar!

Roxy xx

Moo
09-04-11, 10:00 PM
Im not sure what the cost of these courses are but being cynical I would expect a huge rise in the number of courses prescribed as the money goes straight to the police coffers which i am sure they will welcome in the current climate.

Squashed_Fly
09-04-11, 10:02 PM
Quote:

"Police forces not signed up to the new guidelines are: Dorset, Durham, Hampshire, Humberside, Wiltshire, the Metropolitan Police and City of London. Five of these have their own speed awareness schemes."

jpssantos
10-04-11, 10:36 PM
This has been around for some time?

A mate was caught doing 38 on a 30, more than a year ago, and he was given the chance to pay and do this course..

I think they only give you this option if you are a first offender though

Col
11-04-11, 05:14 AM
Yes it has

How d'ya know?..... some odd bod plod and woman driver after I gave him the 'bird' [won't bother with full story but blondie was useless driver] got out their red vectra to waste me 'n mates time when we stopped in traffic discussing our route and declared him and his lady friend were advanced :o plod drivers and after showing us his various scars from falling off his bike he said if he had the paperwork he'd send us on one of these courses but fortunately he didn't and so he and blondie decided to let us go....we left on friendly terms :-* ::)
About 3 years ago in Gloucestershire

DaytonaDog
11-04-11, 06:43 PM
The article is a bit misleading in that it gives the impression that you can exceed the speed limit by up to 10 per cent plus 9mph before receiving any sanction. This is NOT the case. Roxy is almost right by saying that it is 10 per cent plus 2 mph, it is in fact 10 per cent plus 3 mph which is the cut off point, i.e.

30 mph = 36 mph
40 mph = 47 mph

etc etc

Before the driver awareness courses were introduced anyone exceeding the speed limit above the cut off point would have been offered a fixed penalty notice which is currently a 60 pound fine and 3 points. However the driver awareness courses were introduced by the Road Safety Partnership as an alternative to a ticket and the threshold level used to be up to 10 per cent plus 6mph, i.e. in a 30 mph zone 36 to 39 mph. The other criteria being only one course in a three year period so if caught speeding a second time, you are not eligible. However the threshold level has been raised to 10 per cent plus 9 apart from the forces identified so therefore in a 30 mph 36 to 42 mph.

The courses cost between 70 to 100 pounds and are run by Approved Advanced Driving Instructors on behalf of the Road Safety partnership. The money raised from these course are used to fund the scheme as well as other schemes run by the Road Safety partnership (BikeSafe) and not to the Police. (The Road Safety partnership is actually a council lead scheme, with the police only being involved because current legislation only currently permits the police to enforce speeding).

The idea behind the scheme is to obviously improve driver behaviour and awareness, with a view to reducing road casualties, and the courses are probably far more effective at that, as opposed to a Fixed penalty ticket and points, which does nothing to address driver behaviour. Surely this is a positive, even if it only saves one life.

Similar courses are offered for people involved in minor traffic accidents and for using a mobile phone whilst driving.

As an aside, whilst is disappointing that Wiltshire have not increased their threshold level, they are one of the very few counties which provide the BikeSafe scheme for free. Hampshire currently charge 75 pounds for their courses.

Robf
11-04-11, 07:58 PM
also if you read to the bottom of the page it says this

Police forces not signed up to the new guidelines are: Dorset, Durham, Hampshire, Humberside, Wiltshire, the Metropolitan Police and City of London. Five of these have their own speed awareness schemes.

Bare this in mind if you intend to exceed the speed limit, especially as it doesn't tell you what the police in those areas limits are.

DaytonaDog
11-04-11, 08:04 PM
also if you read to the bottom of the page it says this

Police forces not signed up to the new guidelines are: Dorset, Durham, Hampshire, Humberside, Wiltshire, the Metropolitan Police and City of London. Five of these have their own speed awareness schemes.

Bare this in mind if you intend to exceed the speed limit, especially as it doesn't tell you what the police in those areas limits are.

the limits for those forces are 10 per cent + 6mph

Nooj
11-04-11, 10:09 PM
I got a nice scribble on my license and a £60 fine for doing 35 in a 30 a few years ago, so I'd say the 10%+2 or what ever is purely discretionary. I was flashed by a Gatso, so received no discretion whatsoever.

I was given the opportunity to do one of the silly courses then, but it would have cost me more than the fine in fees and travel, plus a days holiday from work. Utterly pointless waste of time.

Chappers
12-04-11, 09:23 AM
my first 3 points about 10 years ago was for doing 34 in a 30 in cardiff.

the power of gatso >:(

Squashed_Fly
12-04-11, 09:25 AM
I thought even with a gatso, you could go to court rather than just accept the fine/points? Is that not the case?

DaytonaDog
12-04-11, 12:52 PM
I thought even with a gatso, you could go to court rather than just accept the fine/points? Is that not the case?

In a word, yes. When you receive the notification of bring caught, which should be within 14 days, you have a number of options including electing to go to court. Most people don't because you run the risk of receiving a greater fine and more points than a ticket, the evidence is very conclusive and difficult to challenge, and a court appearance could take all day.