PDA

View Full Version : British troops deployed in Libya

redken1
19-04-11, 08:13 PM
The main news story tonight focused on Foreign Secretary, William Hague’s announcement that British Army officers will be deployed in Libya to advise rebels fighting Gaddafi’s forces.

I really hope that my feeling of trepidation in light of this latest development is unfounded and this is not the ‘thin edge of the wedge’ in relation to the deployment of British ground troops.

I cannot help but draw a parallel between the current Libyan situation and that of recent Afghan history. During the time of the Soviet occupation in Afghanistan, the forerunners of the Taliban, the Mujahideen were significantly financed, armed and trained by the US during the administrations of presidents, Carter and Reagan. Several Western European countries including Britain also provided similar support to the Mujahideen.

With the aforementioned in mind, surely we (the British taxpayer) have the right to demand answers to some serious questions. As evil as Gaddafi undoubtedly is, who are these rebels we are supporting? What assurance do we have that we are not arming groups of extremist warlords who may turn those weapons on us in the future, as has happened in other locales around the world?

R1chie
19-04-11, 08:29 PM
You should work for the Daily Mail with that headline.

British troops!

It's just a couple of Rodneys.

But...if this kind of thing puts a buzz in your beehive then good luck with getting your answers to your serious questions.

DaytonaDog
19-04-11, 08:34 PM
Ken very good points you have raised which I have found myself asking recently. Two other questions spring to mind, firstly would we be so willing to assist if Libya did not have oil reserved and secondly if this country is so skint, how can we afford to pay for our involvement in this issue.

redken1
19-04-11, 08:38 PM
12 high ranking officers R1chie. Don't give me a buzz - just take my head out of the proverbial sand from time to time.

R1chie
19-04-11, 08:45 PM
I think you need to chill out and relax in the proverbial sand from time to time.

redken1
19-04-11, 08:54 PM
I can assure you I'm relaxed and cool - if I was a vegetable I'd be a cucumber ;D Hopefully the sand in Weymouth on Sunday R1chie. Unfortunately, not all is rosy in the garden and I personally do not have a problem with discussing the issues of the day.

wiltshire builders
19-04-11, 09:10 PM
With the aforementioned in mind, surely we (the British taxpayer) have the right to demand answers to some serious questions. As evil as Gaddafi undoubtedly is, who are these rebels we are supporting? What assurance do we have that we are not arming groups of extremist warlords who may turn those weapons on us in the future, as has happened in other locales around the world?

I have a problem with this "holier than thou" attitude of the government. One mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist. This is surely going to piss off some nasty people and bring another sh#t storm heading this way.

The we're right, you're wrong aproach never works.

silly_simon
19-04-11, 09:34 PM
Was a forgone conclusion if you ask me >:(

Lets be honest they don't just happen to be sending nearly all of 40 commando on exercise to the area do they ??

Taylor911
19-04-11, 10:06 PM
So...
Afghan - We (well the US i think) helped the rebel forces when they were at threat from the Russians, and gave them weapons. Now of which are being used against us, by the Taliban.

Is this just going to be a repeat of that?
We help and support the Libyan rebels, worst if we give them weapons, then 10 years down the line, will that come back and bite us in the ass and be used against us?

wasted_ace
20-04-11, 12:23 PM
Absolute madness to get involved in yet another foreign war..
When are the successive governments of Britain ever goin to learn that we are no longer a superpower anymore.
Enough is enough ! get the f**k out of Afghanistan and stay the hell out of Libya..its not our problem and certainly not worth the life of one single British lad or lass in uniform >:(

Roxy
20-04-11, 01:40 PM
:-X

Uber Dave
20-04-11, 03:01 PM
Absolute madness to get involved in yet another foreign war..
When are the successive governments of Britain ever goin to learn that we are no longer a superpower anymore.
Enough is enough ! get the f**k out of Afghanistan and stay the hell out of Libya..its not our problem and certainly not worth the life of one single British lad or lass in uniform >:(

They just slashed our budget, took half our Airforce Navy and Army off us and wanted to try and make the point that we can still mount an Operation despite the cuts. Its purly the Govt patting themselves on the back after cutting us to the bone.

I dont think though it will get to more than this, as in NO full scale ground war.

Besides, do you honestly think that they have only just gone in..... come on, dont be so nieave.

Col
21-04-11, 02:34 PM
Superb entertainment with the Colonel motoring around Tripoli waving at his adoring public.........ya gotta admire the bloke ;D ;D

One of the funniest things was the letter being sent by Cameron,Obama, and the French bloke telling the Colonel to step down......pmsl!!!!!! did the postie deliver it ;D

Military advisers ;D ;D right you lot get fell in and listen up to our cunning plan...no gun Ahmed then use a broom...they don't like it up 'em ..tally ho chaps !!!!!

tooooooooooo much ;D